Hey everyone! 

I was recently accepted into a program for fall of 2020. BIOCHEM was not a prerequisite, but I have been currently retaking the class in case I had to re apply. My acceptance is conditional based on having an up to date physical and that is It (I already submitted the physical). My question is, is It worth finishing up this class strong? Or should I stop putting effort into the class and relax until my program starts? I’m not sure what to do & don’t want to waste time studying if I do not have to! Thanks !!

Finish.  You'll take biochem in some way in PA school albeit in a much more accelerated fashion and you'll be glad you did.

• Upvote 2

Agree with MT2PA. Exposure to biochem is essential in my mind and why not get a leg up despite it not being "required."

I would stick with it just because I thought biochem was really cool, but my program had absolutely zero biochem in its curriculum so I don't believe it will help you much in PA school unless your school specifically teaches it. 

While there are principles of biochemistry inherent to the study of medicine, I feel that continuing your class will not benefit your studies during PA school. You need an understanding of the basic fundamentals of biochem to understand medicine, which you primarily obtain through other undergraduate science courses/prerequisites. You don't need to understand and shouldn't ever be tested on principles of amino acid synthesis or lipid catabolism during PA school. 

Having said that, most programs either start their didactic curriculum with an intense review of basic science (immunology, cell bio, physiology) and/or incorporate it throughout the didactic curriculum to varying levels of detail. Finishing your biochem course could help keep those basic science principles fresh in your mind. But overall I think you should relax and enjoy your time before starting school.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By syd3333
      Just wanted some advice. Does anyone have insight to on how different types of PCE are classified? Is having 1000 hours of being a PT aide equal to 500 patient care technician? I guess there is no right and wrong answer, just wanted to see some opinions! Thanks guys!
    • By emrose4242
      Hi! I was recently accepted into a program that I didn't think I would be too fond of, but I ended up falling in love with the program! I am interviewing at my original top choice on the 13th, and I have been having a hard time deciding what school I would choose if I were to get in to this other program as well. I would love to hear what current students think. School A (the one I have already been accepted to) is a 1 hour commute, ( I can't afford to move or get an apartment, I am lucky enough to live with my boyfriend who pays the mortgage). This is the biggest downside to this school. I don't know how commuting an hour both ways, 5 days a week, will work with the course load. School B is a 30 minute commute. School A is also about $15,000 more expensive. The reason I justify price is that this program is 28 months, which is 4 months longer than school B (where I am interviewing on the 13th). I love that the clinical rotations are 5 weeks, instead of 4 at school B. There are also 2 elective clinical sites and school A, as opposed to only 1 at school B. They are both very new programs so they're pretty comparable when it comes to everything else that I've looked into!

So my questions are:
      1. If you have a long commute to your PA program, do you regret it/how do you like it?
      2. Will 1 additional week in each clinical site and 1 additional elective make a difference/ is it worth the $15,000 additional?
      3. Will I get to the 24 month point at school A and wish that I went to school B so that I could be finished already?
      Thank you so much for any input you all can provide!!
    • By PAssionate20
      Hello, 
      I'm looking for private tutoring for  PANCE to help me in certain areas. If anyone tutors please let me know.
      Thank you. 

• By ccorsale
      Hi there! 
      I am looking to relocate to the Western NY region (most likely Buffalo) after graduation and was hoping to work out some rotations in the area. I am not yet back on rotations given the circumstances, but figured I would start to look for something.
      Thanks!
    • By TallPA
      Hello everyone,
      I have been playing professional baseball since 2014. Due to covid, there is a chance my career could be cut short due to contracts (long un-needed story). I was a student athlete in college until I was drafted after my junior year in 2014. There are definitely more difficult situations out there, but being a student athlete at my school meant I had 2-3 hours to study per day starting at 8-9pm and we lifted at 5am every day. Finishing my degree in minor league baseball was just as tough. 12 hour bus rides twice a week, hotels, 10 hour days at the field, and playing for 6 months with only 2 days off a month. Not trying to make excuses, it was just tough for me.
      I still need to take organic chemistry, but my cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.2. I have not taken the GRE and I have about 80 documented hours of shadowing, with over 300 undocumented hours.

Until it is certain my career has ended, what can I do to stay fresh on all my sciences? Have I missed anything to apply for PA school? Do I have a chance of getting in to school? A friend of mine is a physician and said medical/PA schools love unique stories and backgrounds. Even with my story, I want everything else to show I have a passion for medicine and I’m willing to bust my butt in school when I can strictly focus on school.
      Thank y’all in advance for any honest feedback!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More