Frustrated new-ish grad PA not sure what to do

I started at an occupational med position at the end of February and was furloughed mid April due to COVID reducing patient numbers.  I was hired on as a float so I was supposed to be covering the clinics that had providers go on vacation or needed more coverage. So due to COVID, no one is going and vacation and they just don't need as many providers to cover the clinics right now.  I'm frustrated because it took me so long to find a position in the first place(5 months) because of the saturated area. Now I'm kinda at a lost of what to do right now. It's unlikely that they'll be bringing me back any time soon even as clinics increase in patient number just due to the fact that the current providers are not likely to be going on vacation any time soon.  I've been applying to other jobs but with such shallow work experience and many places simply not looking to hire, it's been tough.  I want to stay in my area because my SO works here and can't relocate. But I'm starting to consider moving just so I can get more experience under my belt.  I don't even know if more rural areas are even looking right now. I guess this for me to vent more than anything else. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

That’s tough when you have limited experience. As PAs we are only as good as our experience in the eyes of future employers. I would recommend extending your search as the sooner you get the experience you want in your respective field the sooner you get to start calling the shots on what you get paid and where you live and work. That’s what I had to do, now that I have 2.5 years under my belt I have a ton more options. But for those first 2 years I was commuting heavily because those were the best opportunities I had

• Upvote 1

Having experience might help but it doesn't make you bullet proof. I have 30 years experience and have been furloughed for about 6 weeks. My estimate is it might be 90-120 days before they start bringing SOME of us back. I am looking at positions everywhere that doesn't require a move. I can't move for a lot of reasons.

So you are in good company in your misery. You can wait, look for other positions, or try to retrain for something else. It is a maddening situation.

• Upvote 1

Due to my short work history, there were some issues with unemployment that has delayed me getting unemployment money. But hopefully has been fixed this past week when I was finally able to get through on a phone call. 

My work is refusing to authorize any CME funding right now which is disappointing.  So I'm just working on my medical Spanish right now paying out of pocket. 

I'm currently living with high-risk in-laws which makes me reluctant to apply to the COVID tents. 

Thank you for replying. I appreciate the responses. Praying for better opportunities. 

You've done better than I have, though I doubt that is much consolation. I have been searching since December (which is when I graduated), without any luck. I have applied to everything under the sun and no one ever responds. I am open to moving, to low pay, to whatever specialty I think I might have a shot at. Still nothing. That whole 2 out of 3 thing is a myth for me. I received one phone interview, but due to relocating to another state, they didn't want to wait on me to get a license. I understand, but I can only apply for so many licenses due to extremely limited funds, and trying to predict what state will have the most job openings is a gamble. Places aren't allowing any shadowing to keep knowledge fresh due to COVID. So, you're not alone. 

31 minutes ago, adrift said:

You've done better than I have, though I doubt that is much consolation. I have been searching since December (which is when I graduated), without any luck. I have applied to everything under the sun and no one ever responds. I am open to moving, to low pay, to whatever specialty I think I might have a shot at. Still nothing. That whole 2 out of 3 thing is a myth for me. I received one phone interview, but due to relocating to another state, they didn't want to wait on me to get a license. I understand, but I can only apply for so many licenses due to extremely limited funds, and trying to predict what state will have the most job openings is a gamble. Places aren't allowing any shadowing to keep knowledge fresh due to COVID. So, you're not alone. 

Hey PA leadership.....This is exactly why we need to stop delaying and not just move this profession into the 21st century but ROCKET it there...These new PA's don't have the time to sit around while the old crew sits on their/our arses waiting to retire and watching the world burn.  Jesh I hate reading these texts and the damn silent apathy from AAPA and state branches.  We should be in virtual session RIGHT NOW.  Call an emergency meeting and lets form a nationwide strategy that also changes our name....NOW.  Not next month or this fall or next year.....These guys can NOT find jobs now...we need to act.......NOW.

• Upvote 3

New grad here, end of March. All the options I had got pulled, made a thread about it a while back. I ended up with a primary care offer last week that I'm going to take for now, started off saying they wanted me $40/hr but ended up with full time 75k/year, no benefits other than malpractice, but hopefully renegotiate when this is all over. I did convince them to let me do 4 9's a week so I can keep my options open.

No experience (or less than a year) seems to close all locums/temp doors, and from what I've seen in DC/MD/VA the places that are open to hiring PAs are either surgical or view us as cheaper labor than NPs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastPA said:

New grad here, end of March. All the options I had got pulled, made a thread about it a while back. I ended up with a primary care offer last week that I'm going to take for now, started off saying they wanted me $40/hr but ended up with full time 75k/year, no benefits other than malpractice, but hopefully renegotiate when this is all over. I did convince them to let me do 4 9's a week so I can keep my options open.

No experience (or less than a year) seems to close all locums/temp doors, and from what I've seen in DC/MD/VA the places that are open to hiring PAs are either surgical or view us as cheaper labor than NPs.

Very sad truth. NPs can always fall back on their RN degree so it makes no sense for them to work more hours with more liability only to make the same as they would working less hours as an RN. 

Edited by iconic

2 hours ago, EastCoastPA said:

I made $40 an hour in my first job back in 1994 and had full benefits plus $2500 CME, all licenses paid and 3 weeks vacation and that was the norm not the exception.  I cry for you guys today.  Us older PA's and leadership have utterly failed you guys.  I am sorry, this is not the way it was suppose to go for you.

Edited by Cideous

54 minutes ago, bldavi2 said:

Why doesn’t Cideous run for a leadership position with AAPA so they can get some stuff done instead of trolling and stressing all the damn time.

Explain to me exactly how I am wrong.....and how I am "trolling".  I've been on these boards a decade saying the same thing. Caring about the next generation of PA's is not trolling...... Eh?

Edited by Cideous

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Cideous said:

Explain to me exactly how I am wrong.....and how I am "trolling".  I've been on these boards a decade saying the same thing. Caring about the next generation of PA's is not trolling...... Eh?

You're not trolling.  You're sometimes sounding like a broken record, but trolling is very, very different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, EastCoastPA said:

Oh goodness.  Completely understand with needing a job and taking what you can get, but this is an awful offer.  Hopefully after a year in you can renegotiate much better or move on.  

21 hours ago, Cideous said:

Constant inciting fear on an obscure board. I admire the fight and vigor but what are you actually doing to make these changes??  Leadership position in state org?

20 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

If I might inquire; how long have you been a PA?

Going on 8 years 

Believe me, new grads get the message and hear the song. Hopefully we can jump into the fray in a few years. My current state organization is years out of date, half the links on the website don't work the others point to old conferences, and all the job postings are from 2 states over so the motivation is there.

The clinic I was furloughed from almost 2 months ago has started bringing some of us back.   Right now I am approved to work 2 days at week at $40 per hour.    There is rumor that they will be asking us to take a 20% pay cut if /when they get us back up to full time and no cme funding, no opportunity for productivity.    

1 hour ago, bobuddy said:

The clinic I was furloughed from almost 2 months ago has started bringing some of us back.   Right now I am approved to work 2 days at week at $40 per hour.    There is rumor that they will be asking us to take a 20% pay cut if /when they get us back up to full time and no cme funding, no opportunity for productivity.    

Good gawd....

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, bldavi2 said:

Constant inciting fear on an obscure board. I admire the fight and vigor but what are you actually doing to make these changes??  Leadership position in state org?

These forums predated the Huddle.  Those of us who contribute to and run the place LIKE it far less censored, for the most part, than Huddle.  You can tell another poster they're FOS politely and collegially, and we won't boot you, and if you get too carried away, I tend to have polite side conversations with people who've gotten off track.

Huddle serves a purpose, for thin-skinned folks who can't actually handle real debate; for official-sounding stuffiness; for those who want to make sure they can only be seen and see AAPA-kool-aid-drinking (well, or at least dues-paying) folks.

As far as inciting fear, I think there's a definite possibility of posters doing that, but if you look at Cideous, he has some definite ideas for what needs to happen next.  Which, incidentally, differ some from mine, but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just so Rev. The differing opinions, sometimes with great passion, makes this a much more productive board. I participate in the Huddle but they seem more worried about "nice" than subject matter sometimes. I've lost count how many times I have been censored or censured there.

That said I tend to side with CID. I think the profession is in deeper trouble than most people, including some thought leaders, realize. My time is nearly done (unless my furlough turns permanent which is a possibility). I worry for the younger PAs who will need a profession in 25 years....or 10 years.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bobuddy said:

I’m working FT right now and have been through this entire ordeal. Pay was cut significantly. After taxes/retirement/small deductions for my HSA I’m netting a little over $15/hour right now. Consider yours a gift? 

Edited by ANESMCR