Caregiver as HCE?

Guest DLuong

Guest DLuong

I'm very close to submitting my Caspa application and have one question. From about 2006-2009 I was a caregiver for my grandmother - assisting with various ADL. I wasn't paid, no hours were tracked and the only people who can verify I did this were my family members. I'm guessing my total hours were roughly 1500, 500 each year. Should I put this on my Caspa application or no?

Thanks.

Guest DLuong

I'm very close to submitting my Caspa application and have one question. From about 2006-2009 I was a caregiver for my grandmother - assisting with various ADL. I wasn't paid, no hours were tracked and the only people who can verify I did this were my family members. I'm guessing my total hours were roughly 1500, 500 each year. Should I put this on my Caspa application or no?

Thanks.

I would not. While it may be tempting, it is even a stretch to put it in as volunteer service. I have raised my son for the last 5 years, which involves a lot of ADL oriented care, but I would never put that in. While your grandmother is not a child, I don't see taking care of any family member as "patient care", unless it involves procedures that go beyond ADL's. If you were managing her meds, performing wound care, and doing PT/OT activities with her, you might have more of a case to make. I WOULD however put your caregiver experience in your personal statement if you need the filler.

I would not. While it may be tempting, it is even a stretch to put it in as volunteer service. I have raised my son for the last 5 years, which involves a lot of ADL oriented care, but I would never put that in. While your grandmother is not a child, I don't see taking care of any family member as "patient care", unless it involves procedures that go beyond ADL's. If you were managing her meds, performing wound care, and doing PT/OT activities with her, you might have more of a case to make. I WOULD however put your caregiver experience in your personal statement if you need the filler.

Archived