2020-2021 UNE Application Cycle

"Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? "

This is what comes to mind let me know if there is a detail missing that you're interested in and I'll edit post.

3.32 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA.  (Deceiving though since last 120 semester hrs cGPA 3.94)

Prereq GPA 3.80+ (varies depending on what the school requires).

3800+ hrs Respiratory Therapist

30 hrs shadowing PAs from work.

150+ hrs ER Volunteer

Plenty of leadership experience from the Army

Research on combat related PTSD & Exercise from senior thesis.

AA Liberal Studies, AS Respiratory Care, BS Psychology.

Non-traditional applicant, 39 years old.

Good Luck!

38 minutes ago, Gorilla978 said:

"Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? "

This is what comes to mind let me know if there is a detail missing that you're interested in and I'll edit post.

3.32 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA.  (Deceiving though since last 120 semester hrs cGPA 3.94)

Prereq GPA 3.80+ (varies depending on what the school requires).

3800+ hrs Respiratory Therapist

30 hrs shadowing PAs from work.

150+ hrs ER Volunteer

Plenty of leadership experience from the Army

Research on combat related PTSD & Exercise from senior thesis.

AA Liberal Studies, AS Respiratory Care, BS Psychology.

Non-traditional applicant, 39 years old.

Good Luck!

Wow super impressive, good luck! 

1 minute ago, Gorilla978 said:

I appreciate that, but to many schools most of us are just a GPA and PCE # so I still worry about not making the cut off from previous academic mistakes.

So far UNE has been great and I hope I do well on the interview.

Congratulations! You are going to crush this interview! Did you receive the interview after you received the pre-reqs complete email? When did you submit?

2 minutes ago, mliggett said:

Has anyone received the pre-req email Confirming and then never received any follow up? I haven’t received an interview or a rejection, so just curious if this had happened to anyone so far? 

Me! Looks like last year they interviewed into january. Don’t lose hope yet! There’s still 3-4 interviews left 

3 minutes ago, mliggett said:

Has anyone received the pre-req email Confirming and then never received any follow up? I haven’t received an interview or a rejection, so just curious if this had happened to anyone so far? 

I'm in the same boat... I received a completed pre-req review email on 6/08 and have not heard since!

On 10/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, TeddyRucpin said:

Received an interview invite today! Finally hearing back from schools. Can any students comment about the cadaver lab/learning at UNE? Do PAs dissect?

Also, where is it typical for rotations to be held (Portland, etc)? Do students get a good variety of inpatient rotations? How about academic medical centers?

Maine seems like a great state to practice in as a PA. I’m excited for the next steps.

Congrats on your invite!  Current 2nd year here.  In non-COVID times, anatomy lectures were held on the Portland campus, anatomy lab days were on the Biddeford campus (ours were Wednesdays, either from 0800-1200 or 1300-1700).  Anatomy lab is at the Biddeford campus because that's where the DO school is, and where all the cadavers are.  PA students don't do any of the dissection- it's all either done by the DO students or by the anatomy professor.  While this may be a disappointing aspect,  it actually ensures that you'll be looking at a properly dissected out structure, so in the end, I think it made for a more educational experience 🙂 I think we had at least 8 cadavers + prosections and models. 

Rotations sites are throughout New England, and there are a small handful of sites beyond that (i.e.: New York, Florida).  You'll have 1 dedicated inpatient rotation (see my previous post about common services), and will probably get some good inpatient experience on your surgery rotation as well.  You'll also have 1 elective, which can be anything.  The curriculum lists all rotations you will do during 2nd year: https://www.une.edu/wchp/pa/program/curriculum

Best of luck!

11 hours ago, lyamagata said:

Congrats on your invite!  Current 2nd year here.  In non-COVID times, anatomy lectures were held on the Portland campus, anatomy lab days were on the Biddeford campus (ours were Wednesdays, either from 0800-1200 or 1300-1700).  Anatomy lab is at the Biddeford campus because that's where the DO school is, and where all the cadavers are.  PA students don't do any of the dissection- it's all either done by the DO students or by the anatomy professor.  While this may be a disappointing aspect,  it actually ensures that you'll be looking at a properly dissected out structure, so in the end, I think it made for a more educational experience 🙂 I think we had at least 8 cadavers + prosections and models. 

Rotations sites are throughout New England, and there are a small handful of sites beyond that (i.e.: New York, Florida).  You'll have 1 dedicated inpatient rotation (see my previous post about common services), and will probably get some good inpatient experience on your surgery rotation as well.  You'll also have 1 elective, which can be anything.  The curriculum lists all rotations you will do during 2nd year: https://www.une.edu/wchp/pa/program/curriculum

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info! Are the clinical rotations far enough that you would need to move between each rotation? I'm sure it varies but on average? 

12 hours ago, lyamagata said:

Best of luck!

Thank you. The EM rotation should be inpatient for everyone as well, correct?

11 hours ago, ChristinaB said:

Thanks for the info! Are the clinical rotations far enough that you would need to move between each rotation? I'm sure it varies but on average? 

We typically do 2 rotations in a row and then have a week “off” after every 2nd rotation. They try to keep you in roughly the same geographic area so hopefully you wouldn’t need to move between sets of back to back rotations, but that’s not always the case. One of my friends was just in Norwalk, CT for surgery, and is now in Caribou, ME for primary care with 4 or 5 days in between rotations. That’s a fairly extreme example, but certainly within the realm of possibilities. I would anticipate moving after every 2nd rotation at a minimum depending on your threshold for commuting.  The program tries to give you at least a month heads up, but past cohorts have said that’s definitely not always the case, and for us with COVID, some of us had very short notice for our first few rotations as they scrambled to get everyone placed in sites.

That week “off” that I mentioned is used for EOR exams, seminars, and lectures, but they try to concentrate the activities to a few days instead of spreading out over the entire week to allow for students to travel to their next site.

As with anything, nothing is guaranteed, and clinical year definitely requires students to be adaptable and flexible! But remember that many before you have done it, and so can you! 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, mliggett said:

I’m in the same boat! Still hoping for the best as this is my top choice!! 

• Like 1