Just left np school...a tale of warning and a request for advice

I'm sort of in a similar circumstance. I also started NP school and stepped off because it wasn't meeting my needs. I think it's reasonable, as you and others have said, the training model for NPs vs. PAs is very different, and I totally believe that you should want to be in the most rigorous program possible that will give you the best training - it's not about going through quickly to get the title that lets you practice, it's about being ready and competent to do so. Articulate, though in fewer words, what you have said here, I strongly do not think it will be a problem as long as you can explain it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to post here as I find myself in a similar predicament. I was recently admitted to a well known nursing school in the midwest and its going to cost me around 100k for tuition alone. The reputation of the school I have heard would be helpful, although i am really wondering when looking for a job, how much? Another thing i can sympathize with the OP about is after getting my RN 1st year (its a direct entry program) the program becomes "distance." This means that i will need to find my own preceptor and it likely only has to be in a primary care office setting. We do around 600 hours of clinicals in 2 semesters (not much huh). Should this be a red flag? I feel it may ridiculous to spend that sort of money when i'm really only taken care of for that one year. I think its absurd that we need to find our own preceptors, let alone be only limited to outpatient primary care clinics. I will have the majority of my lectures and exams online like the OP mentioned in his/her program. We go back to the actual university once a month to intensive sessions face to face-we do this for one year. I feel a little jipped having to do this with the tuition i am paying. I also feel at that point my only option after graduating will be only primary care. And moreover, i feel quesy about spending that sort of money if I end up going into primary care making only 70k-80k for the rest of my career. Is this similar for PAs or is there potential to make money $ because of the options to go into other fields since you've had rotations in those fields during school? I think i may want to work in ob/gyn or EM in the future and I don't want my lack of education and clinical exposure to hinder me. I was pre-med in undergrad, but that boat on med school has sailed. I looked into NP because of the autonomy and freedom that i saw NPs have. But now i'm starting to realize in the state i live in PAs and NPs have similar abilities in almost everything. Advice or comments? Thank you!

Archived