2020-2021 Application Cycle

On 1/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, CJPAgurl said:

Congrats on your interview invite!:) Do you mind sharing your GPA stats? 

Thank you and of course!

Cumulative: 3.51

Science: 3.67

I honestly thought my GPA would be higher.. my calculated numbers are so different from what CASPA calculated, but either way, it got me many interview invites! Although, I think schools look at other qualities of your application, too.

Edited by PrePA2020to21

I received the confirmation that my application was complete June 22. I still haven't heard anything- no rejection or waitlist- which can be a good thing, but I'm more concerned that it's now January, and I haven't heard ANYTHING after applying so early. Should I follow up and ask for an update on my application? 

• Upvote 1

So, I’m so torn between USC and Tuoro

Touro is almost 50k cheaper and you receive an MPH as well in 3 years 

USC is very reputable and provide an in-depth education by being a 3 year program. Also one of the most expensive  PA schools close to 200k

idk thoughts? I know I need to make a decision for myself but is there any experience/ advice y’all could share. Thanks! 

4 hours ago, EPthePA said:

USC is very reputable and provide an in-depth education by being a 3 year program. Also one of the most expensive  PA schools close to 200k

idk thoughts? I know I need to make a decision for myself but is there any experience/ advice y’all could share. Thanks! 

Find out how these places operated during COVID. One school is part of an academic medical center with its own hospitals while the other is not. It’s a good way to see who has their “stuff” together. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, EPthePA said:

I've been comparing programs as well. USC is a longer program, and their courses are spread out more (4-5 courses a term), which I believe makes the course load more doable. I personally do not want to attend a program where you're taking 10  courses per term, so I like this about USC. However, there are shorter programs that offer this as well. I'm also surprised USC doesn't have clinical experiences during didactic year. There are shorter programs that offer first year clinical experiences, which is something I would want from a program. This gives you more clinical preparation compared to just doing clinicals the second year. 

USC also gives you 1 summer break. Idk if this is one of those 'more is less' things since those 3 years include a summer break? I'm guessing this is one of the factors that makes the program longer?

Lastly, the average program is 2 years. I personally feel like 3 years for a PA degree is long. If I am going to spend 3 years in a program, I would rather pursue the double master's if I had the option. I do have some interest in Public Health & research, so this would also push me towards the double master's. This is just my insight. Regardless, I'm sure both programs will prepare you well 🙂 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Livtheprepa said:

Hey y'all ! I just got an interview and I am sosososo excited ! I know it is a blind interview but if any of y'all have any tips, it would be greatly appreciated(: Thanks in advance!

Hi! I just finished an interview today and my advice would be get ready to brag about yourself. They have no idea who you are so tell them everything you think they should know. Every experience, every accomplishment, anything that makes you shine. It felt weird doing this because for most traditional interviews I didn’t talk about things they could see on my application since it was in front of them but this isn’t the case here. I did feel like I forgot to mention some things that could have added to my interview so practice talking about yourself. I feel like I mainly talked about medicine which is very important but I wish I would have also mentioned more about myself, my hobbies and my accomplishment outside of medicine to add to who I am. Hope this helps and good luck!

Edited by jjg96
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 1:55 AM, EPthePA said:

So I just finished my interview and I have the same concerns you did (although I haven’t received an acceptance yet). Not speaking as a current USC student at the moment but after speaking with with the students from the student panel, alumni, and reading old forums I felt most justify the cost based on the alumni networking, planning on participating in the loan forgiveness, and wanting to stay in the LA/ Southern California area. I understood where they came from, however for me personally I got into a great program closer to home that cost way less, especially cost of living. I am also not 100% sure if I want to stay in California after school therefore choosing the loan forgiveness route seems like a commitment I’m not sure if I’m ready to take on. I’m lucky and my parents are willing to cover my educational expenses however USC is out of their price range and therefore I would have to take out loans. For me it’s remain loan free/ barely any loans to pay back, versus spending a good portion of my career paying back. In my situation USC doesn’t favor me and if I did get accepted I don’t think I would take it. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, steviewisz said:

Has anyone received a denial from USC? Have they only sent interview invitations so far or has anyone received a denial letter/email? Patiently waiting for either of the two lol

I just got an email saying a decision letter is available, I got rejected 😞 hadn’t heard anything since I applied til today. 

• 2 weeks later...