2020-2021 Application Cycle

Hi all! I am a first time applicant and wanted to get any feedback that y'all are can offer on my stats and competitiveness, especially if you have already been through the application cycle and have similar stats.

cGPA- 3.79

sGPA-4.00(so far, I'm currently taking genetics and micro and will take gen chem II A&P II in the fall)

GRE- V-157, Q-151 and 4.0

HCE/PCE- ~400hrs(i'm unsure of whether I should count my experiences as PCE or HCE in CASPA. I was a volunteer medical assistant and COVID screener for most of them and took vitals, checked A1C, etc.)

Shadowing- 40hrs

+leadership experience during and after college(President of Psi Chi at Auburn and Volunteer Coordinator at doctor's office for COVID)

Alsoooooo, are there any 2nd time applicants with non-traditional majors? I was a psych major and would love to hear your application experiences. Sorry for blowing up the forum and thanks in advance for your help!

5 hours ago, tkann58 said:

Got an interview invite for August 17th. They are unsure if it will be virtual or in-person at this point. Anyone else get an invite for this date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Did you get a phone call or email? And when did you apply? 

On 6/16/2020 at 2:50 AM, tkann58 said:

Got an interview invite for August 17th. They are unsure if it will be virtual or in-person at this point. Anyone else get an invite for this date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Paapp20202021 said:

Your a liar. Show me proof of the email

Not everyone gets in the first or second or even third time applying, this is a competitive program, they are looking for mature individuals who can handle everything that comes with it...deep breath, be nice, and have patience. It'll get you much further in life.

I received an email from SIU that my application was withdrawn, I hope it was a mistake.

cGPA 3.58

sGPA 3.64

prereqGPA 3.38

GRE 156/152 3.0

PCE 28,000+ (respiratory therapist for 15 years)

Underrepresented minority and a veteran. I sent an email for clarification as to why it was withdrawn. If they dont come to their senses, good luck to everyone for the rest of the cycle. 

2 hours ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

I received an email from SIU that my application was withdrawn, I hope it was a mistake.

cGPA 3.58

sGPA 3.64

prereqGPA 3.38

GRE 156/152 3.0

PCE 28,000+ (respiratory therapist for 15 years)

Underrepresented minority and a veteran. I sent an email for clarification as to why it was withdrawn. If they dont come to their senses, good luck to everyone for the rest of the cycle. 

Oh wow I wonder what happened....im sorry to hear that!

19 minutes ago, Tjw2386 said:

Oh wow I wonder what happened....im sorry to hear that!

I contacted Susan at SIU this morning and found that it was a mistake. They were supposed to withdraw my application for last years cycle and someone got a little trigger happy. She was able to get this fixed I was able to check my status on the grad app status website and it has been reinstated. I am really happy that this was resolved because SIU is one of my top choices due to its location and the PBL method of learning suits me well. Phew, I was really worried.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

I contacted Susan at SIU this morning and found that it was a mistake. They were supposed to withdraw my application for last years cycle and someone got a little trigger happy. She was able to get this fixed I was able to check my status on the grad app status website and it has been reinstated. I am really happy that this was resolved because SIU is one of my top choices due to its location and the PBL method of learning suits me well. Phew, I was really worried.

So glad you got this worked out!! Good luck to you!

12 hours ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

I just got the same email saying my application was withdrawn....hoping it is the same glitch you had.  Just sent an email to confirm.

It probably was the same mistake. The way the response I got seemed was that the graduate school doesnt make any decisions for the PA school admissions team. Last year I applied late in the cycle as a hail mary and my rejection email came from Southern Illinois University <donotreply@webadmit.org> with the subject line of "Final application status SIU SOM PA Program"

3 hours ago, depauwxc said:

I just submitted my application! I'd love to hear the stats of anyone that has received interview invitations. Thanks!

Hi! I have an interview coming up.

Stats:

Out of state, non-traditional major (Human Development and Family Studies with a pre-health concentration), getting B.S. in August

GPA: 3.82

sGPA: 3.61 (one outstanding prerequisite to be completed by August)

GRE: 320 (154 quant, 161 verbal, 5.0 writing)

PCE: ~2,000 all as a CNA, in a long term care facility and in the health center of a summer camp

Volunteer: ~500, most on a healthy aging research project, some in a program swimming with children with disabilities, the rest all miscellaneous service projects

Shadowing: ~50 (All PAs, in a children's hospital, pediatric clinic, family medicine clinic, emergency room)

Letters of rec: MD, 2 RNs, professor

Edited by Sgf1220

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, aea828 said:

Congratulations!!! So exciting. How was the interview process?

Thank you! It was really relaxed, just like I've heard! I wish that it could've been in person but I think they definitely did a good job given that they had to transition it to online. The staff and current students were very friendly and helpful and the other candidates were all awesome. The actual interview was only 20 minutes long, so they are very very selective with who they even invite to interview and use that time just to get to know you and your background. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve received an acceptance from my interview yesterday too! Not gonna lie, I just about had a panic attack when I saw that you got accepted and they didn’t call me until 2 hours later haha I figured they were saving rejections for last... 

3 hours ago, Sgf1220 said:

Got the call this morning that I was accepted from my interview yesterday! Very, very excited! Good luck everyone with the rest of the cycle!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJolley said:

I’ve received an acceptance from my interview yesterday too! Not gonna lie, I just about had a panic attack when I saw that you got accepted and they didn’t call me until 2 hours later haha I figured they were saving rejections for last... 

I'm so glad you got accepted too!!! I was hesitant to post this as soon as they called because I didn't want to worry others if they hadn't gotten it yet but I was too jazzed. It was great "meeting you", so excited! (I was the redhead from Minnesota going to Colorado State University if you didn't figure it out haha)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sgf1220 said:

I'm so glad you got accepted too!!! I was hesitant to post this as soon as they called because I didn't want to worry others if they hadn't gotten it yet but I was too jazzed. It was great "meeting you", so excited! (I was the redhead from Minnesota going to Colorado State University if you didn't figure it out haha)

Congrats on being accepted! Would you two mind sharing your stats? TIA

32 minutes ago, kp1222 said:

Sure! I shared them above but I'll post them again.

Out of state, non-traditional major (Human Development and Family Studies with a pre-health concentration), getting B.S. in August

GPA: 3.82

sGPA: 3.61 (one outstanding prerequisite to be completed by August)

GRE: 320 (154 quant, 161 verbal, 5.0 writing)

PCE: ~2,000 all as a CNA, in a long term care facility and in the health center of a summer camp

Volunteer: ~500, most on a healthy aging research project, some in a program swimming with children with disabilities, the rest all miscellaneous service projects

Shadowing: ~50 (All PAs, in a children's hospital, pediatric clinic, family medicine clinic, emergency room)

Letters of rec: MD, 2 RNs, professor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kp1222 said:

I have mine posted above as well but they are

Out of state applicant

BS in Cardiovascular Interventional Technology

sGPA: 3.98

cGPA: 3.89

GRE: 159 quant, 154 verbal, 4.0 writing

HCE: 3500 in medical accounting

PCE: 5500 as a radiographer and then an angiography interventionalist