University of Utah 2020-21 Application cycle!

54 minutes ago, HMcConney said:

I think that they wanted us to wait to make sure everything was finalized.... I thought I saw that post yesterday. I am so excited to meet everyone and start getting ready for school! I am already looking at what I need! Has anyone sent an email to that student mentor address and asked about what we should/shouldn’t purchase? I am curious to know if they have suggestions on technology... iPad vs MacBook, etc... Christmas is coming and I need a list! 😂 

I have a friend in her first year at UPAP right now and she has an iPad with an apple pen and she swears by it, so I'll be taking that route for note-taking, as well! Just in time for Black Friday so we can plan and purchase mwahahaa

In light of all the great sales happening and cyber Monday coming up, I thought I would post a PA school Christmas wishlist for you all.  This is based on my UPAP-only experience, so getting a few opinions would be a good idea.

Laptop v. Tablet: I don't know if Class 52 will be in person by the time you start in May or online like we are.  So here are my thoughts.  If you are in person for lecture, a 2:1 laptop/tablet combo would be less weight to carry around.  If you are online, a computer/laptop for streaming lectures/taking tests and a tablet for taking notes would be ideal.  If you have the capability of using a split screen feature then you could get away with one device.  I have a 2:1 laptop/tablet combo, and it is inconvenient trying to toggle between lecture and my note-taking software, but it works and I'm used to it now.  A pen/stylus is a must!  The best way to take notes is to download the PowerPoint files, upload them to OneNote or Notability, and write directly on them.  Printing the documents and writing on them is not feasible.  One class can have hundreds of ppt slides with media clips and links.  You have to go electronic.  If I can figure this out at my age, I promise you that you all can!  Also, I don't think ExamSoft is compatible with iPads.  Make sure to check out the tech requirements if you are buying a new laptop.  I personally use the HP Spectre x360 2:1 and I love, love, love it! It comes with a pen, has a touch screen, and is much less expensive than Apple or MS.  I have never had one problem with ExamSoft on it either.  It's a workhorse.

Study Aids

• White Board w/markers ($75) – you can also get whiteboard decals that stick on your wall (Amazon)
  • Blue light glasses (<$30)
  • Pance Prep Pearls ($50)
  • Rosh Review app ($45-$199)
  • Noise cancelling headphones (price varies, Sony $300)

*There are a lot of other apps out there (Sketchy Med, Smarty Pance, etc.) I don’t have experience using them personally. Osmosis (provided by the University) has been all I have ever needed to clarify difficult concepts.

Recommended Texts:

• Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple ($40) – highly recommended for the antibiotics section, don't need to focus on the plate ID information for all the organisms.  We don't get that detailed in PA school.
  • Lippincott Microcards: Microbiology Flash Cards ($35) – helpful for your Infectious Disease class - especially the clinical case scenarios for each organism.
  • Rapid Interpretation of EKGs, Dale Dubin ($40) – a must if you don’t have EKG experience
  • Bates Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 13th edition ($140) – used A LOT

*You could familiarize yourself with any/all of these if you want to get a jump start and hit the ground running.

Software:

• OneNote or Notability are equally useful.  Each has it's pros and cons.  Use what you are comfortable with.

What the school provides:

• Stethoscope (Littman Classic)
  • Access to MS Office
  • Osmosis subscription
  • ExamSoft – for testing

I have probably forgotten a lot of stuff, but that will get you started.  Good luck everyone!  Welcome!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pathgirl20 said:

In light of all the great sales happening and cyber Monday coming up, I thought I would post a PA school Christmas wishlist for you all.  This is based on my UPAP-only experience, so getting a few opinions would be a good idea.

Laptop v. Tablet: I don't know if Class 52 will be in person by the time you start in May or online like we are.  So here are my thoughts.  If you are in person for lecture, a 2:1 laptop/tablet combo would be less weight to carry around.  If you are online, a computer/laptop for streaming lectures/taking tests and a tablet for taking notes would be ideal.  If you have the capability of using a split screen feature then you could get away with one device.  I have a 2:1 laptop/tablet combo, and it is inconvenient trying to toggle between lecture and my note-taking software, but it works and I'm used to it now.  A pen/stylus is a must!  The best way to take notes is to download the PowerPoint files, upload them to OneNote or Notability, and write directly on them.  Printing the documents and writing on them is not feasible.  One class can have hundreds of ppt slides with media clips and links.  You have to go electronic.  If I can figure this out at my age, I promise you that you all can!  Also, I don't think ExamSoft is compatible with iPads.  Make sure to check out the tech requirements if you are buying a new laptop.  I personally use the HP Spectre x360 2:1 and I love, love, love it! It comes with a pen, has a touch screen, and is much less expensive than Apple or MS.  I have never had one problem with ExamSoft on it either.  It's a workhorse.

Study Aids

• White Board w/markers ($75) – you can also get whiteboard decals that stick on your wall (Amazon)

*There are a lot of other apps out there (Sketchy Med, Smarty Pance, etc.) I don’t have experience using them personally. Osmosis (provided by the University) has been all I have ever needed to clarify difficult concepts.

Recommended Texts:

• Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple ($40) – highly recommended for the antibiotics section, don't need to focus on the plate ID information for all the organisms.  We don't get that detailed in PA school.
  • Lippincott Microcards: Microbiology Flash Cards ($35) – helpful for your Infectious Disease class - especially the clinical case scenarios for each organism.
  • Rapid Interpretation of EKGs, Dale Dubin ($40) – a must if you don’t have EKG experience
  • Bates Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 13th edition ($140) – used A LOT

*You could familiarize yourself with any/all of these if you want to get a jump start and hit the ground running.

Software:

• OneNote or Notability are equally useful.  Each has it's pros and cons.  Use what you are comfortable with.

• Access to MS Office
  • Osmosis subscription
  • ExamSoft – for testing

I have probably forgotten a lot of stuff, but that will get you started.  Good luck everyone!  Welcome!

Wow!! This is so, so helpful!! Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, pathgirl20 said:

Study Aids

Recommended Texts:

Software:

• Access to MS Office
  • Osmosis subscription
  • ExamSoft – for testing

Do you have any tips on housing?

3 hours ago, Cathyr66 said:

Do you have any tips on housing?

Hey I know this wasn’t directed to me but I currently live in SLC and went to the U for undergrad. KSL has always been a great resource https://homes.ksl.com/. They also post listings around the state including St. George. If you’re wanting to live close to the slc campus sugarhouse, the avenues, foothill, and marmalade district are all really close neighborhoods. Though public transit is also free as a student if you want to be further out. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 4:04 PM, helliott said:

Does anyone know if for Didactic year (hoping we are in person) what attire is required, ie:business casual, scrubs? I know we will eventually be given all these details but before I start getting rid of stuff to move I thought I would check! 

It's just normal casual classroom attire.  Jeans/t-shirt kind of stuff.  I think they specifically asked us in the beginning to not wear jeans with lots of holes in them or low-cut tops/tanks.  When you start with your physical exam skills in second semester athletic wear on those days (once a week) is recommended so it's easier to practice on each other.  If you like to dress up though, you can also do that.  Scrubs would be fine too.  I've done that several times when I'm headed straight to work after class.

On 12/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, pathgirl20 said:

It's just normal casual classroom attire.  Jeans/t-shirt kind of stuff.  I think they specifically asked us in the beginning to not wear jeans with lots of holes in them or low-cut tops/tanks.  When you start with your physical exam skills in second semester athletic wear on those days (once a week) is recommended so it's easier to practice on each other.  If you like to dress up though, you can also do that.  Scrubs would be fine too.  I've done that several times when I'm headed straight to work after class.

Where did you work ?

2 hours ago, helliott said:

Has anyone received some sort of confirmation or other information since submitting the 3 things needed by Dec 7?  

I emailed my acceptance letter to Doris and got an email confirming she received it, but that’s about it. So I started with the graduate school application to keep things moving.

• Like 1