2020-2021 application cycle

53 minutes ago, Future2021PA said:

Does anyone have any updates? I am on the waitlist currently!! I hope spots open up soon!!

I am still on the waitlist, too! When did you get placed on it? Crossing my fingers for us and anyone else! I believe that they really start pulling from it in October because that is when a lot of other people hear back from other schools! 

1 hour ago, BeachBum7 said:

I am still on the waitlist, too! When did you get placed on it? Crossing my fingers for us and anyone else! I believe that they really start pulling from it in October because that is when a lot of other people hear back from other schools! 

I was put on the waitlist 9/22, I hope everyone gets into their top choice! Everyday I keep checking my phone and email. I love this program and its staff!! Fingers crossed😊

First post on these forums but I figured it will help.

Received an invite from Albany Medical College this AM (10/2/2020).

The invite said they are conducting interviews on Oct 9 from 8a-3p.  I have another interview scheduled for the same time so I emailed to confirm but also asked if there was a work around.  I am not in a position to cancel a pre existing interview appointment.

Well the response was rude and unprofessional...

This is what I sent her:

Mrs. ****,

I am sending you this email in order to confirm my attendance to your PA program interview session on Oct 9th, 8 am - 3 pm.

The only caveat is that as of yesterday I have another virtual interview scheduled during the exact same timeslot (Oct 9, 8-3), I confirmed with them however I have not received my specific 30-minute timeslot as of yet.

Hopefully, this does not cause any issues.

The response was this:
yes it does you will need to be with us from 8am-2pm.  You must choose.

That was the verbatim response and the entire email, I copied and pasted it from our conversation.  Even if it was impossible to schedule around it could have been handled better.  Maybe a greeting and salutation, maybe some grammar/punctuation.  If this is how the program is handled I think I'm glad I cannot attend. I also highly doubt the interview lasts the entire day, my other one is just 30 minutes.

So I sent her this:
I will decline the invitation then. Good luck with your process.

Respectfully, 

Person Whowontbeattending

I have been annoyed the entire day at this.  I'm sure their job is stressful but good lord this person should not be the liaison between thee school and applicants. 

TLDR: Received an interview invite and had to decline it so there are still spots and invites getting sent out! GL everyone.

13 hours ago, Gorilla978 said:

First post on these forums but I figured it will help.

Received an invite from Albany Medical College this AM (10/2/2020).

The invite said they are conducting interviews on Oct 9 from 8a-3p.  I have another interview scheduled for the same time so I emailed to confirm but also asked if there was a work around.  I am not in a position to cancel a pre existing interview appointment.

Well the response was rude and unprofessional...

This is what I sent her:

Mrs. ****,

I am sending you this email in order to confirm my attendance to your PA program interview session on Oct 9th, 8 am - 3 pm.

The only caveat is that as of yesterday I have another virtual interview scheduled during the exact same timeslot (Oct 9, 8-3), I confirmed with them however I have not received my specific 30-minute timeslot as of yet.

Hopefully, this does not cause any issues.

The response was this:
yes it does you will need to be with us from 8am-2pm.  You must choose.

That was the verbatim response and the entire email, I copied and pasted it from our conversation.  Even if it was impossible to schedule around it could have been handled better.  Maybe a greeting and salutation, maybe some grammar/punctuation.  If this is how the program is handled I think I'm glad I cannot attend. I also highly doubt the interview lasts the entire day, my other one is just 30 minutes.

So I sent her this:
I will decline the invitation then. Good luck with your process.

Respectfully, 

Person Whowontbeattending

I have been annoyed the entire day at this.  I'm sure their job is stressful but good lord this person should not be the liaison between thee school and applicants. 

TLDR: Received an interview invite and had to decline it so there are still spots and invites getting sent out! GL everyone.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. May I ask if your interview was for a waitlist position? I hope your up coming interview goes well!

Edited by Future2021PA

I don't believe it was for a waitlist position as I am not sure schools operate that way (or at least they don't inform the applicants).

Although I am somewhat disappointed with their behavior I will say this, learn from my experience.

If a school offers you a potential interview and there is a scheduling conflict be as vague as possible.  Just state that you have a scheduling conflict and need an alternate interview position. Worse they can say is no.

I think the issue was that I stated I had another PA school interview at the same time, you don't need to tell the school that.

Good luck.

Edited by Gorilla978

18 hours ago, Gorilla978 said:

I don't believe it was for a waitlist position as I am not sure schools operate that way (or at least they don't inform the applicants).

Although I am somewhat disappointed with their behavior I will say this, learn from my experience.

If a school offers you a potential interview and there is a scheduling conflict be as vague as possible.  Just state that you have a scheduling conflict and need an alternate interview position. Worse they can say is no.

I think the issue was that I stated I had another PA school interview at the same time, you don't need to tell the school that.

Good luck.

I was curious because my email was an invite for a waitlist position. Thank you for sharing your experience! Good luck!

10 hours ago, AliceT5 said:

is anyone interviewing this friday (oct 9)? if so, have you gotten a zoom link or any other info? i haven't received anything so i wasn't sure if i should email or not

11 minutes ago, Kmh1125 said:

I have an interview Friday (10/9) as well. Haven't received a follow-up email with detailed information yet. 

Hi! I received an email with detailed information in the morning on the day before the interview! 

• Like 1

As an alumni who graduated a few years ago... I am somewhat disappointed with how AMC is communicating with applicants based on what I'm reading here. I agree, this does not reflect well. I was overall satisfied with the program and thought it was well structured and organized. They may have hired new admin staff since then.... Happy to answer further questions or give feedback for those still in the application process. I still vividly remember how stressful and soulsucking this process can be. Wishing you all the best! If PA is truly the career path for you, then just think of it as only a question of "when" you enter the field, not "if". 

On 10/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, Rachel789 said:

I also interviewed on the 24th and have not heard anything! Its annoying they told us one week and now its been two and still silence... 

sarah told us to email her if we didn't hear from them in a week! have you all emailed her? and if you did, was it just ignored?

On 10/8/2020 at 11:19 PM, GMM2019 said:

As an alumni who graduated a few years ago... I am somewhat disappointed with how AMC is communicating with applicants based on what I'm reading here. I agree, this does not reflect well. I was overall satisfied with the program and thought it was well structured and organized. They may have hired new admin staff since then.... Happy to answer further questions or give feedback for those still in the application process. I still vividly remember how stressful and soulsucking this process can be. Wishing you all the best! If PA is truly the career path for you, then just think of it as only a question of "when" you enter the field, not "if". 

Hi! Curious if you can touch on the quality of clinical sites! I know they are all within the Albany Medical Health System, which I think is awesome. I love how many different core rotations you get as well as electives, though worry about how short each clinical is at only 4 weeks (compared to 5 or 6 at some other schools). Is there anything back then you thought the school needed to improve on/was the program quick to respond if you or a classmate had an issue at a clinical site?

Lastly curious about what it's like living in Albany, I'm good with the winters but unsure about the culture of the city. I visited prior to COVID on a nice day on the weekend and the city seemed really quiet, it was a bit odd!

And thank you in advance for being willing to answer questions!

Edited by SK203