Reapplicant - any and all thoughts appreciated.

This has been revised taking into account your input from my first draft. It is a complete rewrite. Thoughts? Thank you!

It was a brisk, early morning in January as I jogged into the hospital to meet the nephew I thought I would never have. For two years, and three attempts I accompanied my sister to her fertility treatments, gave her daily progesterone injections and was her caregiver and emotional companion. I gained a sense of compassion doing these things for her along with a gratified feeling that inspired me to pursue a career in medicine.

Unsure of what type of provider I wanted to be, I embraced every opportunity that came my way. I dove into studying science and medicine and was a peer mentor in chemistry while in college. While doing an internship with a developmental pediatrician, volunteering at hospitals and clinics, shadowing providers and researching career options, my desire to become a physician assistant (PA) emerged. When I think about the time and compassion I want to provide for my patients balanced with what I strive to uphold in my personal life, the PA profession embraces this. Sensibly speaking, I want to be rooted in a profession in the next few years, while having minimal debt accumulated from my education. Aside from the practical standpoint, my encounters with PAs and personal experiences have had the most influence.

I have been fortunate enough to familiarize myself with PA’s in a variety of specialties and stages in life. The first day of my internship with a developmental PA I sat in on pediatric consultations for autism, learning disabilities and genetic disorders. Within a year, my role there transitioned into a diagnostic medical assistant and I became responsible for administering tests and questionnaires to patients and their parents. A diagnosis, no matter how big or small, has an impact. I connected immediately with the challenges that not just the patients faced once a diagnosis was given, but the struggles the families had with acceptance. Sometimes, all they needed was for me to navigate their fears with talking and this has taught me the valuable lesson that is sometimes taken for granted of having a connection with patients as people. Providing at least one person they can trust and no matter what they have been through, someone they can count on, will resonate with me in my career as a PA.

In the past few years, I was on the receiving end of some family and personal diagnoses. Alzheimer ’s disease (AD) manifested itself in my grandfather and as he succumbed to the illness I sat with my grandmother holding his hand as he took his last breath. It was now, that I felt the excruciating loss of life for the first time, but it was also now that I knew I wanted to give back in any way I could. That summer I began volunteering at the Banner Alzheimer’s Institute (BAI) where I conducted geriatric memory tests to patients suspected of having AD. These results were then reported back to a team of physician assistants, neurologists, psychologists, social workers and nurses who developed a treatment plan and I established that I not only excel at working collaboratively with others, but I have a deep appreciation for it, as good care is not a solo effort. I continue to give back to BAI and the AD community by volunteering at events and educating people on the signs of the disease. I will never forget at an event when a patient’s widow, who I established a relationship with throughout her husband’s care, grasped my hand and said “Thank you for what you do, you make a difference.” It was something that, even though I am not yet a medical provider, humbled me, and drives me to become the best PA I can be.

Wherever there is a medical provider there is an opportunity for knowledge accompanied by kindness and I have witnessed an immense amount from the PA community, specifically with my skin cancer diagnosis. While shadowing a PA in dermatology, she noticed a spot on my face that turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. Although I was petrified, she guided me through the process of removal, reconstruction and even made me laugh when I wanted to cry. My parents always instilled in me to be the type of person you look up to, and I certainly look up to my PA and others.

After my initial disappointment about not getting into a PA program last year, I realized that there was more I needed to do, to change, to grow. And although change is uncomfortable, I catapulted into gaining more shadowing experience in primary care, trauma and orthopedics while excelling in additional courses in anatomy/physiology and microbiology. Since last year, I have continued to gain invaluable experience at the developmental pediatric office and have aided in the launch of a reading tutoring program for underserved families of dyslexic children, who I tutor three times a week.

I will continue to grow as a person, but I have thoroughly explored and relished in experiencing the PA path. I am steadfast and prepared to begin my education as a foundation to a lifelong career of impact as a physician assistant.

This has been revised taking into account your input from my first draft. It is a complete rewrite. Thoughts? Thank you!

It was a brisk, early morning in January as I jogged into the hospital to meet the nephew I thought I would never have. For two years, and three attempts I accompanied my sister to her fertility treatments, gave her daily progesterone injections and was her caregiver and emotional companion. I gained a sense of compassion doing these things for her along with a gratified feeling that inspired me to pursue a career in medicine.

Unsure of what type of provider I wanted to be, I embraced every opportunity that came my way. I dove into studying science and medicine and was a peer mentor in chemistry while in college. While doing an internship with a developmental pediatrician, volunteering at hospitals and clinics, shadowing providers and researching career options, my desire to become a physician assistant (PA) emerged. When I think about the time and compassion I want to provide for my patients balanced with what I strive to uphold in my personal life, the PA profession embraces this. Sensibly speaking, I want to be rooted in a profession in the next few years, while having minimal debt accumulated from my education. Aside from the practical standpoint, my encounters with PAs and personal experiences have had the most influence.

I have been fortunate enough to familiarize myself with PA’s in a variety of specialties and stages in life. The first day of my internship with a developmental PA I sat in on pediatric consultations for autism, learning disabilities and genetic disorders. Within a year, my role there transitioned into a diagnostic medical assistant and I became responsible for administering tests and questionnaires to patients and their parents. A diagnosis, no matter how big or small, has an impact. I connected immediately with the challenges that not just the patients faced once a diagnosis was given, but the struggles the families had with acceptance. Sometimes, all they needed was for me to navigate their fears with talking and this has taught me the valuable lesson that is sometimes taken for granted of having a connection with patients as people. Providing at least one person they can trust and no matter what they have been through, someone they can count on, will resonate with me in my career as a PA.

In the past few years, I was on the receiving end of some family and personal diagnoses. Alzheimer ’s disease (AD) manifested itself in my grandfather and as he succumbed to the illness I sat with my grandmother holding his hand as he took his last breath. It was now, that I felt the excruciating loss of life for the first time, but it was also now that I knew I wanted to give back in any way I could. That summer I began volunteering at the Banner Alzheimer’s Institute (BAI) where I conducted geriatric memory tests to patients suspected of having AD. These results were then reported back to a team of physician assistants, neurologists, psychologists, social workers and nurses who developed a treatment plan and I established that I not only excel at working collaboratively with others, but I have a deep appreciation for it, as good care is not a solo effort. I continue to give back to BAI and the AD community by volunteering at events and educating people on the signs of the disease. I will never forget at an event when a patient’s widow, who I established a relationship with throughout her husband’s care, grasped my hand and said “Thank you for what you do, you make a difference.” It was something that, even though I am not yet a medical provider, humbled me, and drives me to become the best PA I can be.

Wherever there is a medical provider there is an opportunity for knowledge accompanied by kindness and I have witnessed an immense amount from the PA community, specifically with my skin cancer diagnosis. While shadowing a PA in dermatology, she noticed a spot on my face that turned out to be basal cell carcinoma. Although I was petrified, she guided me through the process of removal, reconstruction and even made me laugh when I wanted to cry. My parents always instilled in me to be the type of person you look up to, and I certainly look up to my PA and others.

After my initial disappointment about not getting into a PA program last year, I realized that there was more I needed to do, to change, to grow. And although change is uncomfortable, I catapulted into gaining more shadowing experience in primary care, trauma and orthopedics while excelling in additional courses in anatomy/physiology and microbiology. Since last year, I have continued to gain invaluable experience at the developmental pediatric office and have aided in the launch of a reading tutoring program for underserved families of dyslexic children, who I tutor three times a week.

I will continue to grow as a person, but I have thoroughly explored and relished in experiencing the PA path. I am steadfast and prepared to begin my education as a foundation to a lifelong career of impact as a physician assistant.

Archived