2020-2021 Application Cycle (PA campus)

So I got waitlisted by PCOM, and then reached out to a few of the students that are in their 1st and 2nd year and after talking to them I am pulling my name form the program and going elsewhere. All you Pre PA students beware!

I was told that the PA program doesn't really care about the students. They only care about what their 1st time board pass rate is. The school I was told is run kind of like a dictatorship, you aren't allowed to challenge question or even see your wrong questions after tests, they said there is a running joke PCOM way or the Highway, haha. Also they test you on the minuscule details and require you to read and digest large text books on top of sitting in class being given a firehose of information. I had heard good things about PCOM in the past but I guess their direction has changed. Best of luck to those that look to try!

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 5:47 PM, uniqueanika said:

I applied June 22nd and everything got verified July 14th, and I haven't heard back yet. I've been accepted at three programs and have other invites, but PCOM remains my first choice. No idea what to do! But I heard they're interviewing well into January and maybe even February.

Have you heard back yet?

On 11/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, pabound50 said:

I also received an acceptance from the 10/28 interview. Does anyone know if that post about the school not caring about their students holds any truth?

I hope not! Do any current students agree?

"I was told that the PA program doesn't really care about the students. They only care about what their 1st time board pass rate is. The school I was told is run kind of like a dictatorship, you aren't allowed to challenge question or even see your wrong questions after tests, they said there is a running joke PCOM way or the Highway"

On 11/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, pabound50 said:

I also received an acceptance from the 10/28 interview. Does anyone know if that post about the school not caring about their students holds any truth?

I am friends with someone currently in the program and I also know two different PAs who have graduated from this program and are successful in their fields. I have not heard any negative comments from these people. One PA graduated back when the program was new, the other PA graduated about three years ago and my friend is a first year student. The faculty wants students to succeed. I heard that they are easy to approach and as for having to know details, PA school is not going to be easy no matter where you go. I don't believe that one post was an accurate representation of everyone's experiences with PCOM. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey everyone! I am a current first year PA student at PCOM. I think it is very hard for us to give an umbrella opinion about our experience(s) at PCOM given this years circumstances. Doing school online has robbed us of the opportunity to get to know the faculty and vice versa like in years past. I think not having that relationship can often be mistaken for not caring.  The faculty's hands are kind of tied with what they can and can't do because of COVID-19. So yes, we don't get say in most decision making but I do believe our best interest is at heart. 

"PCOM or the highway" isn't necessarily a bad thing. PCOM is very particular when it comes to learning history taking, writing SOAP notes, special tests, etc. It seems daunting at the time sure, but preceptors always report back and rave about how PCOM students are thorough and have the best technique. 

I know majority of my classmates and I have not ordered any textbooks and have managed to do well on exams. There have only been a handful of questions from that material. Not enough to let that deter you or instill fear. I know the class above me didn't order books either. 

My only complaint would be that there have been inconsistencies in expectations sometimes. H and P was mostly self taught with the exception of one lab per week. It was difficult to know how often we should be practicing or if what we were practicing was even correct. I think our learning experience would obviously have been maximized if we were on campus and could go to professors anytime. Again, that is out of the faculty's control.

Overall, PA school is difficult and that is to be expected. It's all about being able to adapt. I hope this helped! Good luck to everyone!

• Like 8

Guest dean227
3 minutes ago, StaciC said:

Does anyone know if there are anymore interview invites going out? 

I’d like to know as well I haven’t heard anything back from them.