GRE percentiles?

I am in the process of studying for the GRE, I plan to take it in August. The GRE is the last thing I need to do in oder to complete my application.

I have a good GPA and all my pre-reqs are done. I have shadowing / volunteering and everything else I need but

English is not my first language and I am soooooo worried about the Verbal section. :sadface:

Can anyone give me advice / tips on scoring higher on the Verbal?

(I am very strong in Math, so no worries there.)

I am in the process of studying for the GRE, I plan to take it in August. The GRE is the last thing I need to do in oder to complete my application.

I have a good GPA and all my pre-reqs are done. I have shadowing / volunteering and everything else I need but

English is not my first language and I am soooooo worried about the Verbal section. :sadface:

(I am very strong in Math, so no worries there.)

Maria I did a ton of exercise questions for the verbal and I was improving on them, except when I got to the actual test is where I totally bombed it.. my advice is to memorize/know the top GRE words.. I got the Kaplan study guide and it had those words with examples on them in context, and yes a lot of them ended up appearing on the test but because I left them till the end I didn't have much time to study them well. I guess with verbal it's hard to tell how to do well on it if english is not your first language.

Try to time yourself with excersice tests, I got really caught behind on the clock on the test which is one reason why I didn't good as well in math, when it actually was my strongest section. In general I was very disappointed after the test, I wasn't expecting to make the cutoff scores but I'm so reliefed that I did! Many schools look for the combined score, so if you do very well in math hopefully that will make it up for verbal..

Maria I did a ton of exercise questions for the verbal and I was improving on them, except when I got to the actual test is where I totally bombed it.. my advice is to memorize/know the top GRE words.. I got the Kaplan study guide and it had those words with examples on them in context, and yes a lot of them ended up appearing on the test but because I left them till the end I didn't have much time to study them well. I guess with verbal it's hard to tell how to do well on it if english is not your first language.

Try to time yourself with excersice tests, I got really caught behind on the clock on the test which is one reason why I didn't good as well in math, when it actually was my strongest section. In general I was very disappointed after the test, I wasn't expecting to make the cutoff scores but I'm so reliefed that I did! Many schools look for the combined score, so if you do very well in math hopefully that will make it up for verbal..

I got the Kaplan GRE flashcards box set and carried around 10-20 words to learn each day. I did them whenever I had a minute or two here and there. Other than that, I "crammed" studying for the exam into a few days before taking it and did pretty well.

I got the Kaplan GRE flashcards box set and carried around 10-20 words to learn each day. I did them whenever I had a minute or two here and there. Other than that, I "crammed" studying for the exam into a few days before taking it and did pretty well.

Archived