2020 - 2021 Stony Brook Application Thread

On 10/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, afutpa2022 said:

I am a current student, and yes, it is a rolling admissions process so the program does favor those who apply early since that is what rolling means.  If you read through this thread, those who were already offered interviews all applied in may and june.  With over 2700 applicants it is difficult to confirm each and every one individually as other programs with lower numbers are able to do.  All final decisions go out at the end of the semester.  The program is very transparent on their website on explaining how their process runs.  

I understand what you mean and what rolling admissions means as well lol. Stonybrook is an awesome school and their p.a program is as well but they aren't the only school receiving over 2000+ applications. If they only accept students from May and June then they should have their deadline date August 1st or July 15th like other programs. Having their deadline so late (Oct 1st) gives off the false impression that applying later isn't discouraged although they state its "rolling admissions". So it's either they do review and accept students who apply later as per their deadline or,  they just accept the money from later applications without the intent of reviewing their applications. 

Either way it is what it is, but just calling it for what it is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, osakanohime said:

I understand what you mean and what rolling admissions means as well lol. Stonybrook is an awesome school and their p.a program is as well but they aren't the only school receiving over 2000+ applications. If they only accept students from May and June then they should have their deadline date August 1st or July 15th like other programs. Having their deadline so late (Oct 1st) gives off the false impression that applying later isn't discouraged although they state its "rolling admissions". So it's either they do review and accept students who apply later as per their deadline or,  they just accept the money from later applications without the intent of reviewing their applications. 

Either way it is what it is, but just calling it for what it is. 

Isn’t there another program in NY with even a later application date and they don’t review really any folks beyond June?

17 hours ago, snnypa1 said:

Have you gotten it to work?

I was able to officially confirm my acceptance about an hour ago! So so excited and blessed to be a part of next year's class! If anyone also attending wants to link up on social media just send me a message - can't wait to meet all you amazing people!

• Like 1

I am sorry that you feel that way osakanohime but many programs run there process on a first come first serve basis.  And without an intimate knowledge of why they run their process the way they do seems a bit unfair and inaccurate.  How do you know that they aren't still looking at applicants that apply later.  This is the unfortunate thing about forums like this, it welcomes non productive comments.  I can tell you they are super specific what they look for, and yes, while other programs may get the same number of applicants (they don't by the way) they go specifically by gpa or gre scores, which stony brook does not.  Do your homework!  That is the bottom line.  My class is super diverse and I am impressed as to who I am surrounded by daily.  I would hope you would want the same.

5 minutes ago, Dfuturepa said:

For those accepted, I know we have to resend our official transcripts. Does anyone know where specifically we send these to?

Audra told me to wait until the spring to send my transcripts. She said she will let us know when and where to send it. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, afutpa2022 said:

I am sorry that you feel that way osakanohime but many programs run there process on a first come first serve basis.  And without an intimate knowledge of why they run their process the way they do seems a bit unfair and inaccurate.  How do you know that they aren't still looking at applicants that apply later.  This is the unfortunate thing about forums like this, it welcomes non productive comments.  I can tell you they are super specific what they look for, and yes, while other programs may get the same number of applicants (they don't by the way) they go specifically by gpa or gre scores, which stony brook does not.  Do your homework!  That is the bottom line.  My class is super diverse and I am impressed as to who I am surrounded by daily.  I would hope you would want the same.

Everything you mentioned about what the program is looking for is something I have already known. I was just stating my opinion about how the first come first serve process and the particularly far out deadline doesn't particularly make sense but that's all. I don't understand your point when you say do your homework. Please don't assume that I don't know much about the program when I have been researching them for years. 

Having a class that's diverse in experience, race, age, perspectives, etc is exactly the type of class I believe all P.A programs should strive to have. And I am glad you believe the same. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, osakanohime said:

Everything you mentioned about what the program is looking for is something I have already known. I was just stating my opinion about how the first come first serve process and the particularly far out deadline doesn't particularly make sense but that's all. I don't understand your point when you say do your homework. Please don't assume that I don't know much about the program when I have been researching them for years. 

Having a class that's diverse in experience, race, age, perspectives, etc is exactly the type of class I believe all P.A programs should strive to have. And I am glad you believe the same. 

I totally agree with you!! I don't think anyone applies to a school without doing research ahead of time. I submitted to Stony Brook waaaay later than most (8/29) because I had to re-do my entire personal statement after it was ripped to shreds. Once I re-wrote it, I submitted immediately. I applied to another rolling school on the same day with the same deadline of October 1st and got an interview, and they receive over 3000 applications. I never received a confirmation email from Stony Brook per se but I did receive an email under the promotions section of my inbox that stated they received the email containing my supplemental. 

I agree that a deadline is set for a reason, and if we submit in time then we should still have the chance to at least be reviewed, even if we aren't invited for an interview. I'm definitely aware that I took a risk applying as late as I did. It's all a crazy, anxiety-inducing process honestly LOL. Best of luck to everyone!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, asengler said:

I totally agree with you!! I don't think anyone applies to a school without doing research ahead of time. I submitted to Stony Brook waaaay later than most (8/29) because I had to re-do my entire personal statement after it was ripped to shreds. Once I re-wrote it, I submitted immediately. I applied to another rolling school on the same day with the same deadline of October 1st and got an interview, and they receive over 3000 applications. I never received a confirmation email from Stony Brook per se but I did receive an email under the promotions section of my inbox that stated they received the email containing my supplemental. 

I agree that a deadline is set for a reason, and if we submit in time then we should still have the chance to at least be reviewed, even if we aren't invited for an interview. I'm definitely aware that I took a risk applying as late as I did. It's all a crazy, anxiety-inducing process honestly LOL. Best of luck to everyone!! 

I guess I am just speaking from my own experiences and those of my classmates.  We knew we had to apply early and started our personal statements in January so we would be ready to go since Stony Brook was our first choice.  Again, I don't know how anyone should have an opinion of how programs should run their process unless you have an intimate knowledge of what they are looking for.  I knew that by applying early I would meet deadlines rolling or not to all programs, as opposed to applying later and being in the last batch to be reviewed with only a few spots left.  In the end, we control when we apply.  In my opinion if your serious about a school applying early should be a priority.

I would be curious which school you applied to that had over 3000 applicants.

Edited by afutpa2022

8 minutes ago, afutpa2022 said:

I guess I am just speaking from my own experiences and those of my classmates.  We knew we had to apply early and started our personal statements in January so we would be ready to go since Stony Brook was our first choice.  Again, I don't know how anyone should have an opinion of how programs should run their process unless you have an intimate knowledge of what they are looking for.  I knew that by applying early I would meet deadlines rolling or not to all programs, as opposed to applying later and being in the last batch to be reviewed with only a few spots left.  In the end, we control when we apply.  In my opinion if your serious about a school applying early should be a priority.

I would be curious which school you applied to that had over 3000 applicants.

Yeah for sure, I understand what you're saying! Everyone's life circumstances are different, so I think it's a bit more complicated than what we assume over an anonymous thread. From what I've seen in the pre-PA community, everyone is very supportive and uplifting and I think we should just keep that energy going. I hope you're enjoying the program and best of luck to you throughout your PA journey!!

To answer your question, I applied to Arcadia in PA. The class of 2022 cycle had 3160 applicants. There is a second campus in Delaware, so that may change the numbers a bit, but I know some people apply to both campuses. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, asengler said:

Yeah for sure, I understand what you're saying! Everyone's life circumstances are different, so I think it's a bit more complicated than what we assume over an anonymous thread. From what I've seen in the pre-PA community, everyone is very supportive and uplifting and I think we should just keep that energy going. I hope you're enjoying the program and best of luck to you throughout your PA journey!!

To answer your question, I applied to Arcadia in PA. The class of 2022 cycle had 3160 applicants. There is a second campus in Delaware, so that may change the numbers a bit, but I know some people apply to both campuses. 

I absolutely agree. Positivity and support is something that I love coming to these forums for! Best of luck to you and everyone who has received interview invites! 

To answer that question as well: The University of Utah received over 3000+ applications as well this cycle. So has Yale and the University of Albany. The rest of the schools I have applied to I am still waiting to hear back from since they had later deadlines. 

• Like 1