What are my chances?

I am applying this cycle but I’m not sure if my GPA and experiences are enough. I have an overall GPA of 3.6 and science GPA of 3.4. I’m an EMT and have about 700 hours of paid hours. 1000 volunteer hours from a hospital ER and private clinic combined. I was not able to shadow a PA but I did shadow a physician for 150 hours. I also have tutoring experience in anatomy and physiology. I’ve taken majority of the upper science courses. I did not take the GRE. I have really good recommendation letters from a physician, my professor who’s an MD, and my supervisor at work who’s a paramedic. Is that good enough to apply this cycle or should I wait?

I'm starting PA school this fall.  My two cents: APPLY! 

You have a fairly competitive GPA, direct patient care experience, shadowing experience in a healthcare setting, and good letters of recommendation from other healthcare professionals.  Assuming you can write a good personal statement and do well during the interview process, I think you've got a good chance at getting accepted somewhere.  The only thing you've got to lose is the application fee, so I say go for it.

Good luck!

P.S. You might want to check the average GPA for accepted students at whichever program(s) you wish to attend (this information is usually included on the program's website for prospective students), as that might assist you in determining where you stand academically in relation to other applicants and whether or not you're ahead of the pack.

Edited by dukkulisur
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dukkulisur said:

I'm starting PA school this fall.  My two cents: APPLY! 

You have a fairly competitive GPA, direct patient care experience, shadowing experience in a healthcare setting, and good letters of recommendation from other healthcare professionals.  Assuming you can write a good personal statement and do well during the interview process, I think you've got a good chance at getting accepted somewhere.  The only thing you've got to lose is the application fee, so I say go for it.

Good luck!

P.S. You might want to check the average GPA for accepted students at whichever program(s) you wish to attend (this information is usually included on the program's website for prospective students), as that might assist you in determining where you stand academically in relation to other applicants and whether or not you're ahead of the pack.

Thank you for the advice!