51 minutes ago, christinat said:

CASPA submitted and verified 7/9

Received application confirmation 7/10

Rejected, no interview 7/14 (I met the minimum requirements and had over 1,000 PCE hours but still too low compared to the applicant pool so I unfortunately did not pass the initial screening)

Good luck and congrats to everyone who received interviews!

I did not get an initial screening email prior to receiving a rejection, however I met all the minimum requirements as well. It was my understanding that everyone who meets the minimum requirements that are listed are guaranteed to pass the initial screening. Is this not true? Did you request feedback and they told you your GPA was too low?

16 minutes ago, alyssamh said:

I did not get an initial screening email prior to receiving a rejection, however I met all the minimum requirements as well. It was my understanding that everyone who meets the minimum requirements that are listed are guaranteed to pass the initial screening. Is this not true? Did you request feedback and they told you your GPA was too low?

I was under the impression that everyone who meets the minimum requirements would pass the initial screening as well, but I don't think that's true. I did not get an initial screening email before receiving the rejection, so I emailed them back asking about it and they said my PCE hours (although it was over 1000) was too low compared to the applicant pool so I did not pass the initial screening. They said that was the main reason I did not pass it and also suggested more volunteer hours could make me more competitive too. GPA was not mentioned because mine is over 3.5 so I don't believe GPA was a factor in me not passing the screening.

Hi everyone! Just applied and verified today. Wish I had applied sooner in the cycle, for some reason I thought I still needed to finish another lab Bio first. Found out per admissions contact today that I was mistaken, so I got it in right away. 

A little nervous after reading these forum posts, my GPA is low comparatively to what I'm reading, so I am hoping at least some program gives me a shot when considered holistically. Is UOP known to be more competitive than average relative to other programs? (Obviously all are very tough, but wondering if it is any moreso than others.)

I'm on the webinar right now BTW if anyone else is listening in today. 

Good luck to all still waiting to hear! 

1 hour ago, christinat said:

I was under the impression that everyone who meets the minimum requirements would pass the initial screening as well, but I don't think that's true. I did not get an initial screening email before receiving the rejection, so I emailed them back asking about it and they said my PCE hours (although it was over 1000) was too low compared to the applicant pool so I did not pass the initial screening. They said that was the main reason I did not pass it and also suggested more volunteer hours could make me more competitive too. GPA was not mentioned because mine is over 3.5 so I don't believe GPA was a factor in me not passing the screening.

Who did you email? I emailed them asking for feedback, and I got a very generic email back from them stating, "We do not offer specific advice for applicants. However, if you look at the average matriculant to PA school in 2018, which is the most recent data set, you can identify the attributes of a competitive applicant..." And then went on to talk about their average matriculant statistics.  They did not touch on hours, gpa, volunteering, or anything specific. 

Also, my email was from Tara, program services assistant.

Edited by alyssamh

1 hour ago, alyssamh said:

Who did you email? I emailed them asking for feedback, and I got a very generic email back from them stating, "We do not offer specific advice for applicants. However, if you look at the average matriculant to PA school in 2018, which is the most recent data set, you can identify the attributes of a competitive applicant..." And then went on to talk about their average matriculant statistics.  They did not touch on hours, gpa, volunteering, or anything specific. 

Also, my email was from Tara, program services assistant.

I emailed Tara as well. I received that same email at first after asking for feedback but I emailed back again asking for more simply the reason for the admissions decision and that's when she mentioned for specific things from my application. I think if you keep it short, simple, and professional (instead of asking for generic feedback) they'd be willing to help!

24 minutes ago, christinat said:

I emailed Tara as well. I received that same email at first after asking for feedback but I emailed back again asking for more simply the reason for the admissions decision and that's when she mentioned for specific things from my application. I think if you keep it short, simple, and professional (instead of asking for generic feedback) they'd be willing to help!

Okay I will try that, thank you so much!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, maddielyman said:

I just got an invite for August 5th!

Submitted 5/19 and passed initial screening 5/26, so for those of you who are worried about people getting interviews that applied later than you, don't lose hope!

Looks like we are interviewing together!! I am excited to meet you and everyone else. 🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kog123 said:

Hi! Congrats!! I was wondering what you mean by final pool? Are they not sending out anymore interview invites?

I think it just means that after the interview they are still considered for admission but they still have more interviews. So it’s like they passed the interview but depending on who else they interview they could get accepted. They are still doing interviews

1 hour ago, kneuendorff said:

I think it just means that after the interview they are still considered for admission but they still have more interviews. So it’s like they passed the interview but depending on who else they interview they could get accepted. They are still doing interviews

Hi. Kind of. Once you interview, you will either be retained as a competitive applicant or you will be rejected. Once they complete all the interviews, they make their final selection. Once you interview, there is nothing further to do on your end. I saw people post about August 5 interview date, I don’t know when they finish interviews. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, maddielyman said:

I just got an invite for August 5th!

Submitted 5/19 and passed initial screening 5/26, so for those of you who are worried about people getting interviews that applied later than you, don't lose hope!

I am interviewing August 5th as well!  Best of luck! 

28 minutes ago, maddielyman said:

I think we did the group interview together!  I actually thought it was pretty fun and way less stressful than the panel, lol!

Madeline! Hi! Yes, we were in the same group! That was a really fun group interview.  I thought our group did well. I wanted to ask ... did you say you got a doberman? I had a pure breed doberman at one time. His name was Tito. My dog now is lab/doberman mix. She is a spaz! 

I totally forgot to mention where I got my undergrad. 🙂  Excelsior College in New York.  BS in Health Science with an emphasis on Health and Wellness.

Good luck to you! I am sure you did great in your panel interview! Keep me posted!

Edited by Carrie17
  • Like 1