20’ - 21’ Cycle

Hi all! Have a question for anyone who interviewed with or was accepted to this program. Would greatly appreciate some help. 

Can you tell me what courses you used to fulfill the 8 units of biological sciences? 

This year I will be a 3rd time applicant but this will be my first time being able to applying to Dominican. I emailed Admissions recently to check if some of my biology coursework would be adequate to cover this requirement; since the college I attended didn't offer a traditional 'Bio I / Bio II' series, I took what I could find lieu of that. I listed to them all the biology courses I had taken outside of the other core prerequisites (General Bio w/ lab, Histology w/ lab, Human Bio, Genetics). The admissions rep wrote back and said that the only one of those they'd accept would be Human Bio, since the other classes were not human focus. She said I'd need to take a Human Bio lab and then take a 2nd Human Bio class to make it qualify as a 'series.' I searched all over but have found it's not common for there to be such a thing as 'Human Bio II' anywhere, since most people just move on to A&P and that would be redundant. I really thought based on their website that they would be seeking something like General Biology I & II, but she said that no, the biological sciences prerequisites have to be Human, and have to be a series in sequence. 

I'm pretty baffled now, and am scrambling to find some type of courses I could take before applying this year. 

For successful applicants to this program, I would love to hear what you used for this requirement, to ensure I'm on the right track. Thank you!

Edited by alysd

On 4/3/2021 at 7:32 PM, alysd said:

Hi all! Have a question for anyone who interviewed with or was accepted to this program. Would greatly appreciate some help. 

Can you tell me what courses you used to fulfill the 8 units of biological sciences? 

This year I will be a 3rd time applicant but this will be my first time being able to applying to Dominican. I emailed Admissions recently to check if some of my biology coursework would be adequate to cover this requirement; since the college I attended didn't offer a traditional 'Bio I / Bio II' series, I took what I could find lieu of that. I listed to them all the biology courses I had taken outside of the other core prerequisites (General Bio w/ lab, Histology w/ lab, Human Bio, Genetics). The admissions rep wrote back and said that the only one of those they'd accept would be Human Bio, since the other classes were not human focus. She said I'd need to take a Human Bio lab and then take a 2nd Human Bio class to make it qualify as a 'series.' I searched all over but have found it's not common for there to be such a thing as 'Human Bio II' anywhere, since most people just move on to A&P and that would be redundant. I really thought based on their website that they would be seeking something like General Biology I & II, but she said that no, the biological sciences prerequisites have to be Human, and have to be a series in sequence. 

I'm pretty baffled now, and am scrambling to find some type of courses I could take before applying this year. 

For successful applicants to this program, I would love to hear what you used for this requirement, to ensure I'm on the right track. Thank you!

My biological sciences classes were 3 6.0 unit biology classes that were in series and they were not human biology focus:

1. bio 1a - form/function in the biological world

2. bio 1b - principles of cell biology 

3. bio 1c - evolution, systematics, & ecology.

Did you take intro to biology + lab? that usually isnt a series. But general biology usually happens in a series. 

The only courses I submitted that have "human" in it are my anatomy and physiology classes.

I applied last cycle and got admitted and will be starting at Dominican in the fall. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PA408 said:

My biological sciences classes were 3 6.0 unit biology classes that were in series and they were not human biology focus:

1. bio 1a - form/function in the biological world

2. bio 1b - principles of cell biology 

3. bio 1c - evolution, systematics, & ecology.

Did you take intro to biology + lab? that usually isnt a series. But general biology usually happens in a series. 

The only courses I submitted that have "human" in it are my anatomy and physiology classes.

I applied last cycle and got admitted and will be starting at Dominican in the fall. Hope this helps. 

This helps immensely.
I kind of suspected this was the case, but since the admissions rep I communicated with is clearly an authority figure, I didn’t want to insinuate that I thought she was wrong. 
Thanks so much for responding. Would love to hear from other accepted or waitlisted students as well if any of you could tell me what you counted as your ‘biological sciences’ classes for their prerequisites. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...