20’ - 21’ Cycle

13 hours ago, NFPA24 said:

Hi all! So in terms of Dominicans accreditation, does anyone know when they are up for their next review? Also if Dominican were to lose their accreditation after Aug 2021, students who start next year would be able to graduate and sit for the PANCE right? I'm a little confused about it all and worried about attending a program that isn't fully accredited.

On the ARC-PA website, Dominican were granted provisional accreditation, with their next review slated for March 2022. As long as you begin matriculation with the school being accredited, and say they lose accreditation the week after matriculation, you can still sit in for the PANCE. In other words, we’re good to start next fall.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NFPA24 said:

Hi all! So in terms of Dominicans accreditation, does anyone know when they are up for their next review? Also if Dominican were to lose their accreditation after Aug 2021, students who start next year would be able to graduate and sit for the PANCE right? I'm a little confused about it all and worried about attending a program that isn't fully accredited.

Provisional accreditation is the same as accredited. Provisional is just used because the program is new (<5 years).   In order to start a program the ARC guidelines are strict, they have two goals one the success of students and two upholding the PA profession. Provisional is up to the same standards as those that are accredited. If a program lapses in it’s standards as a new program there are provisional probationary standards. Even if you matriculate into that you still can qualify for PANCE. Where it gets iffy if you have to weigh a choice between a program that has been on accredited probation for longer than 2 years with an upcoming accreditation meeting before you matriculate versus provisional accreditation, I would personally pick the provisional because it’s a sure thing I’ll become a PA. Look at ARC updates on schools and usually it tells you when they have the next accreditation meeting for each program. Hope that helps. Best of luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, Guest5798 said:

Provisional accreditation is the same as accredited. Provisional is just used because the program is new (<5 years).   In order to start a program the ARC guidelines are strict, they have two goals one the success of students and two upholding the PA profession. Provisional is up to the same standards as those that are accredited. If a program lapses in it’s standards as a new program there are provisional probationary standards. Even if you matriculate into that you still can qualify for PANCE. Where it gets iffy if you have to weigh a choice between a program that has been on accredited probation for longer than 2 years with an upcoming accreditation meeting before you matriculate versus provisional accreditation, I would personally pick the provisional because it’s a sure thing I’ll become a PA. Look at ARC updates on schools and usually it tells you when they have the next accreditation meeting for each program. Hope that helps. Best of luck

This was super helpful, thank you! Makes me feel more confident about Dominican. 

On 11/15/2020 at 3:19 PM, PhysicianAssistantToBe said:

So if we haven’t heard back, does that mean rejection?

It depends I guess, If you haven't heard anything back since you applied then it probably isn't the best sign since they arent offering anymore interview days, from what I was told. If you have interviewed, then I think rejection is premature. They haven't started accepting people from the second interview group so there is still plenty of time to still be accepted. 

4 hours ago, devinh said:

Absolutely! I’m a non traditional applicant. International relations degree (then an associate in bio).

GRE: 305

cGPA: 3.11

sGPA: 3.07

last 60: 3.9

HCH: 16k, 9 years as an ED tech

50 hours of shadow

70 volunteer

It was a long road but so worth it!

Congrats! I also received an acceptance call this morning and it feels so good our hard work has paid off. It was the best surprise to have before going to work 😄

Edited by Fromthebottom2PA
  • Like 1

Seems like several from my class were pulled off the waitlist last year. I think the first round is in March, followed by another round in April and May. One of my classmates was not pulled off the waitlist until 1-2 weeks before the first day of class in late August. Getting placed on the waitlist is a good sign. You are already qualified. Just a matter of finding a seat.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mpelayo said:

Seems like several from my class were pulled off the waitlist last year. I think the first round is in March, followed by another round in April and May. One of my classmates was not pulled off the waitlist until 1-2 weeks before the first day of class in late August. Getting placed on the waitlist is a good sign. You are already qualified. Just a matter of finding a seat.

Thanks for the information. I did have a question that you may know. Do they send rejection letters out or is it a matter of if you don't hear back then you can assume that you are rejected?

I was also placed on the waitlist and am planning to put down my waitlist deposit. This might be me overthinking, but I was wondering if the time you submit the deposit can affect your ranking on the list? Like the first person to submit the deposit will be placed higher up on the waitlist? Because I am trying to get all my money together so it might take a couple days for me to make the payment. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, melina228 said:

Does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? And if admissions is allowed to give ranking info/status to waitlisted people? 

I spoke to Katherine about this, and she said yes the waitlist is ranked, but they don't release that information to the applicants because it is often misinterpreted! 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jiggypa said:

Has anyone from the waitlist been accepted? Or does anyone have any updates/info about this? I'm starting to lose hope!

I don’t think you should lose hope. Samuel Merritt in Oakland is doing their interviews currently. Who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️, maybe some admitted candidates (not I) will jump ship and choose Samuel Merritt. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...