2020-2021 Application Cycle

Good luck to everyone waiting for a response, I wish you all nothing but the best in your pursuit of becoming a PA!! With the next cycle opening in a month, I've been keeping my head down preparing for it. I know the waiting game has been torturous for us all, but I'm sure we will know of our status by the end of the week.

• Thanks 1

It’s such a coincidence that those  criticizing us for being stressed and irritated are the ones who have been accepted and do not have to worry.

It takes one email to update us, guys. It really should not be that hard. If they can’t send a courtesy email over the course of two weeks, how can they run a PA program? You should be worried too. 

5 minutes ago, JaythePA said:

I was simply trying to offer perspective... I guess all the people who have been accepted are not familiar with waiting, or rejections, or waitlisting and everything is just been handed to us and we haven’t had to be patient. 

no I’m sure that complaining about the unprofessionalism of a program that you are waiting to be accepted to, is a much better approach than being patient. I’m sorry I even opened my mouth. 

Don’t apologize Jay you’re totally fine. Different perspectives and I was just offering mine. 

13 minutes ago, lytran1 said:

What’s on the email? I haven’t received anything yet..

I got a waitlist position =\ Not exactly where I wanted to be, but (somewhat) proud either way since it’s my first cycle! Lol.

The email states that denial letters/acceptances have been already been sent out and the waitlist has been established. They could be sending it out in groups? Fingers crossed for everyone else!

Edited by dianan604
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JaythePA said:

I was simply trying to offer perspective... I guess all the people who have been accepted are not familiar with waiting, or rejections, or waitlisting and everything is just been handed to us and we haven’t had to be patient. 

no I’m sure that complaining about the unprofessionalism of a program that you are waiting to be accepted to, is a much better approach than being patient. I’m sorry I even opened my mouth. 

Offering perspective or not, please don't downplay or disregard a person's frustrations when you are not fighting their fight. As a fellow applicant who had also been rejected in the past, you should understand this fight better than most. Personally, I have been rejected 112 times over the span of 12 years which is why I feel everyone's pain who has yet to receive admission despite their hard work. Jay, as a future medical provider, I hope you empathize with your future patients better than you have empathized with your fellow PA's on this forum. Additionally, once you do become a PA, I pray you have the strength to hold people accountable, even if they possess power.

I do want SMU to read these forums and address their horrific delays for the sake of future applicants and current students. I've already made my displeasures to the program very clear, post interview, and will make it again today as I withdraw my name from the waitlist. You have good excuses for their possible delays, but every program I have applied to this cycle (32; all of whom are experiencing the same challenges as SMU) have responded to my application and has met their self imposed deadlines, except SMU. 

On another note, the email has finally been sent out!  Best of luck to everyone in their pursuit for this profession! 

Remember, "We are tested not to show our weaknesses, but to discover our strengths."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JaythePA said:

I did not downplay anything. I OFFERED PERSPECTIVE... hey pandemic, hey probation, hey clinical rotations, hey reopening campus... hey historical times we are in.... allow some flexibility and don’t stress too much. My entire message was about empathy. For someone preaching empathy... you seem to have no empathy for the struggles that SMU and many other campuses are going through to try and satisfy as many people as possible. I simply said that I doubt that they are being malicious in the delay, and to be aware of what you put on a public forum. I don’t think that lacks empathy or downplays anything. It simply shows the other side of the equation. 

SMU may be the only program that had delays, but they are also one of the few schools that has three different interview days even on zoom... and they are the only school (to my knowledge) that waitlist practically everybody that they interview which means they have to tabulate all of the scores of all the candidates instead of stopping after the top 30-50 students like most other schools do.

but again... maybe I’m wrong for thinking that posting complaints in the forum While waiting to be admitted is not the best way to go about it... so I will be quiet

The fact that you started your previous post saying "I am shocked at everyone's impatience..." implicates you are downplaying and not empathizing with your fellow PA's on their frustrations; rather you are surprised as to why many pre-PA's on this forum have voiced their vexation.

Remember, SMU is a multi million dollar private institution--meaning they profit dollar-for-dollar from the students and applicants each year. They have an obligation to us, just as much as we have had an obligation to meet their deadlines for applications. With their current standing, especially being on probation, they should be hard-pressed to meet every single deadline in concise fashion. So you ask, should I empathize? Absolutely...but it is impossible to do so when there is no communication on why they have had delays on their self-imposed deadlines. 

Also, the scoring system that SMU implements into their application/decision process, is not foreign to other PA programs in the United States. I can attest to this with 100% certainty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JaythePA said:

Being surprised at people’s outward display of impatience is not related to my empathy for their position, I completely empathize with the position.. I just figured most people understood the circumstances that SMU was facing and would be more patient given the schools journey and the pandemic situation. They have been late throughout the entire process... even offering interviews were late. I was stressing patience... not attacking peoples frustration. 

You have an interesting perspective on schools and how things work and seem to be more aggressively disgruntled and I can’t relate to your journey. I am sure it has been tough, I was simply trying to help people see the bigger picture, if anyone was offended by that, then my bad. I understand that I am no longer in the same position as those who are frustrated, but I have been there. Just trying to stress a positive outlook. If you prefer to rile the troops and lead a mob to the SMU staff, then that’s your decision to make.

again I wish everyone the best and I hope to meet you guys soon. 

I do recognize my aggressive and disgruntled tone in these posts; but it is directed at programs who do not practice what they preach (SMU's core value-interpersonal communication--but zero communication until today). Also, it is directed at people who do not fight the good fight--those who are afraid to hold people accountable just because the opposing group in question holds power. That fear of confrontation will metastasize and destroy the moral fabric of society; and I will not let that happen for as long as I live--especially once I do become a PA.

Regardless, Jay, I'm sure you mean well and attempted to project a positive outlook. And It seems like from your posts, that you will be selecting SMU. I, too, will be attending a PA program in NorCal. If we ever do cross paths during clinical years, I am certain it will be met with good spirits and calmer waters. Cheers and congratulations to you!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lholloway14 said:

I find the arguing disheartening right now. Just found out that for the second year in a row, I am ten people away from making my dream come true. I know a lot of people are in the same boat. Let’s all show some love and support and cut the bs out. 

I am so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be so close two years in a row. I myself am currently coping with the reality of having to reapply and start the cycle over again. 

However, if it is any consolation, I have read in past cycles that SMU has taken anywhere from 5-15 people off of the waitlist. My fingers are crossed that you will still get that opportunity to achieve your dreams this cycle!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FromCSTtoPAC said:

I am so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be so close two years in a row. I myself am currently coping with the reality of having to reapply and start the cycle over again. 

However, if it is any consolation, I have read in past cycles that SMU has taken anywhere from 5-15 people off of the waitlist. My fingers are crossed that you will still get that opportunity to achieve your dreams this cycle!

I appreciate your kind words! I am sorry you are coping with the same thing. I am hoping to hear some success on here soon guys!! Everything will work out for us! ❤️