2020-2021 Application Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put my application in with reservation, and put several others in too.

Did you all see this information on ARC-PA website? I guess the program is on probation (here is the link to the site visit they failed which details all thier infractions:  http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Accreditation-History-Samuel-Merritt-122.pdf). I checked it out and it looks like a bunch of administration stuff (lack of management) with the exception of a few topics which I found concerning in regards to clinical year:

1. Appears they lack preceptorship in behavioral medicine.
  2. Appears they may lack preceptors that are "certified in their areas of expertise".
  3. Appears they lack good management of the program (just based on all the infractions)

Now I have even more concern: 

• I hope finding preceptors isn't going to be hard or difficult.
  • I can only imagine this being a headache come clinical year. 
  • Does anyone know how they do clinical year?
  • Do we have to find our own preceptors?
  • Is there a shortage of preceptors in Oakland?
  • Does anyone know what the current and historical pass rates are for them? (I can't find the link)

I can't help but be a little concerned given there were going to open a second campus and then that was stopped in its tracks by the ARC-PA.

Thoughts???

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, AsoredRD said:

I put my application in with reservation, and put several others in too.

Did you all see this information on ARC-PA website? I guess the program is on probation (here is the link to the site visit they failed which details all thier infractions:  http://www.arc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Accreditation-History-Samuel-Merritt-122.pdf). I checked it out and it looks like a bunch of administration stuff (lack of management) with the exception of a few topics which I found concerning in regards to clinical year:

1. Appears they lack preceptorship in behavioral medicine.
  2. Appears they may lack preceptors that are "certified in their areas of expertise".
  3. Appears they lack good management of the program (just based on all the infractions)

Now I have even more concern: 

• I hope finding preceptors isn't going to be hard or difficult.
  • I can only imagine this being a headache come clinical year. 
  • Does anyone know how they do clinical year?
  • Do we have to find our own preceptors?
  • Is there a shortage of preceptors in Oakland?
  • Does anyone know what the current and historical pass rates are for them? (I can't find the link)

I can't help but be a little concerned given there were going to open a second campus and then that was stopped in its tracks by the ARC-PA.

Thoughts???

Hello, current student here.

I completely understand your concerns and quite frankly felt the same before starting the program last fall after finding out we got put on probation a few months before our start date. With that being said, the faculty have been doing everything they can to get us back to full accreditation and I have no doubt that they will do so. As for rotations, no, you do not have to go find your own preceptors. In the Bay Area it is getting extremely competitive to have students in hospitals/clinics/etc. and some programs are going so far as to pay for their students to be able to learn from these facilities. SMU does not do this and quite frankly I don’t blame them. I personally am from Reno, NV and intend on doing all rotations here so I will probably have to help search for some of my rotations but that’s fine with me. We have a lot of alumni all across the country, including Hawaii where some students were offered rotations this year. Preceptorship in B Med never really existed prior to now because it wasn’t mandatory for us to take this as a rotation so I can’t speak much on that. Obviously everything is not perfect but I would guarantee that every other program struggles in some aspects so it all comes down to your preference! Hope this helps!

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:45 AM, ally321 said:

TGreen@samuelmerritt.edu

This is the email I was directed to use 

Did either of you have luck with that address?

I sent a prerequisite course question to the general Admissions email address, and got a form letter back ("the Admission Department does not schedule individual appointments for questions or to evaluate transcripts" etc). I've been able to get in touch with every other program I'm applying to without issue to clarify prerequisites and course outlines, so I'm confused.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, ally321 said:

Does anyone know how strict they are being regarding the 50 hours shadowing a PA? I was only able to get 24 because of COVID 

I sat in on the admissions webinar a few days ago, and the advisor said that PA shadowing is "recommended" but not required, especially in light of current conditions. She said you won't be ruled out for not having those hours, just that they like seeing them whenever possible. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:57 PM, christinat said:

For the supplemental question about the core values, it asks to list the core values in order of importance. Did you list all 7 core values, in order of importance or only list the core values you talk about (in your answer) in order of importance? Thanks!

Hi! I have the same question. Did you end up getting an answer for this?

17 minutes ago, Kayla26 said:

Hi! I have the same question. Did you end up getting an answer for this?

I picked my top ~4 out of the 7 and wrote about those. With the strict word count limit I wouldn’t have been able to address 7. Even with picking 4 I only was able to fit in a couple of sentences per value.
When their prompt said pick 3+ to speak on and list in order of importance, I took that to mean list In order of most importance for those few you select. Hope that helps! 

Edited by alysd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Municahh said:

So everyone knows and stops freaking out, I applied in late May last year and didn't get the confirmation letter until December. 😅

Haha not freaking out, just curious! I remember last year they were very slow-moving too. Submitted in July 2019, didn’t get confirmation until 12/5, final rejection email on 3/9/20. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, NicoleJo said:

Hello, current student here.

I completely understand your concerns and quite frankly felt the same before starting the program last fall after finding out we got put on probation a few months before our start date. With that being said, the faculty have been doing everything they can to get us back to full accreditation and I have no doubt that they will do so. As for rotations, no, you do not have to go find your own preceptors. In the Bay Area it is getting extremely competitive to have students in hospitals/clinics/etc. and some programs are going so far as to pay for their students to be able to learn from these facilities. SMU does not do this and quite frankly I don’t blame them. I personally am from Reno, NV and intend on doing all rotations here so I will probably have to help search for some of my rotations but that’s fine with me. We have a lot of alumni all across the country, including Hawaii where some students were offered rotations this year. Preceptorship in B Med never really existed prior to now because it wasn’t mandatory for us to take this as a rotation so I can’t speak much on that. Obviously everything is not perfect but I would guarantee that every other program struggles in some aspects so it all comes down to your preference! Hope this helps!

That's good to know especially since it was really concerning that they didn't refused to mention anything about it and the only other PA school info session I attended where a school was on probation they were fully open about discussing the reasons why so maybe I set my expectations to high.

I was going to apply there anyway because the reward of it being in the Bay area (I've lived in San Jose my whole life except when I did my bachelors and even then I was in Santa Cruz)  was too good to pass on it. Plus I know many many people who went there for the nursing programs and they didn't have any complaints. 

I have a question about clinicals. I currently work for PAMF/Sutter Health. Do you know if they have some connections over there? I know in the information session they mentioned Children's Hospital Oakland, Alta Bates Highland etc. as being some clinical sites. 

23 minutes ago, Christine616 said:

That's good to know especially since it was really concerning that they didn't refused to mention anything about it and the only other PA school info session I attended where a school was on probation they were fully open about discussing the reasons why so maybe I set my expectations to high.

I was going to apply there anyway because the reward of it being in the Bay area (I've lived in San Jose my whole life except when I did my bachelors and even then I was in Santa Cruz)  was too good to pass on it. Plus I know many many people who went there for the nursing programs and they didn't have any complaints. 

I have a question about clinicals. I currently work for PAMF/Sutter Health. Do you know if they have some connections over there? I know in the information session they mentioned Children's Hospital Oakland, Alta Bates Highland etc. as being some clinical sites. 

I think I was in that same info session as you, last Wednesday right? I was a little surprised too. Also perplexed that she didn’t have much of a specific answer for “why should we pick your program.” Total softball question. 

Still excited to be applying! Was just a strange webinar. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:12 AM, Christine616 said:

I think as of this year we were finally able to start getting some rotations through Sutter but who knows how long that will continue because I know there was talk about SMU being moved to a different building/facility not owned by Sutter in Oakland in the future.

I would just also keep in mind the insane amount of pressure the faculty has been feeling right now trying to manage all 45 of us for this upcoming semester in terms of skills labs with Covid and social distancing as well as the stress of bringing in a new cohort of 45 students during Covid. They have been extremely busy and thus I would imagine them seeming kind of “off” as would any of us if we were put in their position! All in all I say they are doing a good job managing this craziness and I know we are on the way to getting our accreditation back but our next review isn’t even until next summer I believe.