Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congratulations to everyone who received an invitation!!! I am praying each day to be given the same opportunity. Midwestern University in Arizona is my absolute dream school.   Good luck to

Interviewed in October and was put on the waitlist (Applicant Checklist appeared and received Alternate email). Checked my portal this morning and it has switched to the Accepted Student Checklist!!!

Hey! I'm a current 1st year at MWU and just found out I am going to be a student ambassador for interviews! So I wanted to hop on to see if anyone had been offered interviews yet.  I had a cGPA of 3.3

2 hours ago, znadeau said:

Just wanted to say that I just received an interview invite after applying in July. Excited to meet some of you on Friday 🙂

I've also received an interview this morning after hearing nothing after "Application Completed" email. Look forward to seeing you all there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, znadeau said:

Just wanted to say that I just received an interview invite after applying in July. Excited to meet some of you on Friday 🙂

I got one too! I am ecstatic because it’s been so long since I’ve heard from them! I’m so grateful. Good luck everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WallyWally said:

 

I haven't heard anything yet, but this morning at 4am (PST) I got an email from an app the school uses saying "congratulations" 

Check to see if you have the accepted student checklist open! Congrats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, SlimShady21 said:

Has anyone heard anything about when they will release the new tuition breakdown for the 24 month program change? Hard to decide whether or not to commit to the school without knowing how much it's going to cost!

I inquired and admissions said they don’t intend to slash the tuition cost; rather the cost that currently corresponds to the last 3 months of the 27-month program will just get incorporated into the payments of the 24-month schedule, with the justification that the same education is being provided and the same degree granted.

The website also says tuition has traditionally increased by 3.5–7% annually, so I anticipate that will also occur, although the email I received did not specify.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, JingoUnchained said:

I inquired and admissions said they don’t intend to slash the tuition cost; rather the cost that currently corresponds to the last 3 months of the 27-month program will just get incorporated into the payments of the 24-month schedule, with the justification that the same education is being provided and the same degree granted.

The website also says tuition has traditionally increased by 3.5–7% annually, so I anticipate that will also occur, although the email I received did not specify.

 

I had contacted them asking about the tuition cost as well last year but they had told me that their final tuition schedule wont be out until March unfortunately, but thank you for giving this update for us. I think they should decrease the tuition given that we are missing out on parts of the clinical year where they only offer 1 elective rotation instead of 2 now. 

Edited by PhantomOpera
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is my deepest regret choosing to go to Midwestern (Glendale) over the other 4 schools that I was accepted to. 

I was lied to at my interview and lied to at orientation. The “compassionate,” “flexible,” and “high-caliber education” that I decided to pay an extra $30,000+ a year to receive, was a sham. I regret not choosing my school based on finances alone.  I will provide a few of the broadest examples that I can, although there are so, so, so many more that I could provide. 

I was very open during my interview about how important Midwestern’s welcoming atmosphere and open-door policy were in my decision-making. However, when I emailed one of our faculty members during didactic year, asking if I could meet with them in person to discuss questions that I had, I was accused of not going to class, which left me feeling ashamed and unintelligent for having questions to ask in the first place, when I had in fact, gone to class. This closed the door for me to ask any questions in the future.

As far as the high-caliber level of education that I was promised, I have had to teach myself most of medicine during both didactic and clinical year. UpToDate, Pance Prep Pearls, 5 Minute Consult, and Access Medicine are far more organized than most of our lectures were. The quality of our lectures, or lack thereof, has inspired me to want to one day use my own organized notes to teach PA students in the future. 

During clinical year, the administration was all over the place. I can’t stress enough how frustrating it has been to have been paying SO MUCH money, and continuously be told that we are wasting their time and do not have a say in any decisions made moving forward.

The PA program’s lack of consideration for students and inflexibility only worsened since the beginning of the COVID19 pandemic. To illustrate, when COVID-19 peaked in our state, many of my classmates reached out to the clinical team asking if they had considered adjusting our final practicals to be taken online rather than in person. They adamantly denied all requests. One week before our scheduled exams, (which we had all been studying for), they realized how unrealistic and unsafe it was to force students to gather on campus for this assessment. However, because they refused to make adjustments beforehand, they were unprepared to transition the assessments to an online format and pushed all assignments back by a month and a half. Assignments that we had already been preparing for for months. They pushed these assignments back to right before we were scheduled to take boards. This was an enormous misuse of valuable time. We should have been able to take our assessments on the date scheduled, online, if the clinical team had simply listened to not only the students, but the governors around the country, and public health officials. It was inflexible and beyond irresponsible. 

I never expected this from PA school. I am posting this to spare others. I want to spare others the disappointment of such highly unmet expectations, TREMENDOUS debt, and disrespect from faculty. If they refuse to change how they teach and interact with students, the minimum obligation they have is truth in advertising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 8:24 PM, srhbrwn3 said:

It is my deepest regret choosing to go to Midwestern (Glendale) over the other 4 schools that I was accepted to. 

I was lied to at my interview and lied to at orientation. The “compassionate,” “flexible,” and “high-caliber education” that I decided to pay an extra $30,000+ a year to receive, was a sham. I regret not choosing my school based on finances alone.  I will provide a few of the broadest examples that I can, although there are so, so, so many more that I could provide. 

I was very open during my interview about how important Midwestern’s welcoming atmosphere and open-door policy were in my decision-making. However, when I emailed one of our faculty members during didactic year, asking if I could meet with them in person to discuss questions that I had, I was accused of not going to class, which left me feeling ashamed and unintelligent for having questions to ask in the first place, when I had in fact, gone to class. This closed the door for me to ask any questions in the future.

As far as the high-caliber level of education that I was promised, I have had to teach myself most of medicine during both didactic and clinical year. UpToDate, Pance Prep Pearls, 5 Minute Consult, and Access Medicine are far more organized than most of our lectures were. The quality of our lectures, or lack thereof, has inspired me to want to one day use my own organized notes to teach PA students in the future. 

During clinical year, the administration was all over the place. I can’t stress enough how frustrating it has been to have been paying SO MUCH money, and continuously be told that we are wasting their time and do not have a say in any decisions made moving forward.

The PA program’s lack of consideration for students and inflexibility only worsened since the beginning of the COVID19 pandemic. To illustrate, when COVID-19 peaked in our state, many of my classmates reached out to the clinical team asking if they had considered adjusting our final practicals to be taken online rather than in person. They adamantly denied all requests. One week before our scheduled exams, (which we had all been studying for), they realized how unrealistic and unsafe it was to force students to gather on campus for this assessment. However, because they refused to make adjustments beforehand, they were unprepared to transition the assessments to an online format and pushed all assignments back by a month and a half. Assignments that we had already been preparing for for months. They pushed these assignments back to right before we were scheduled to take boards. This was an enormous misuse of valuable time. We should have been able to take our assessments on the date scheduled, online, if the clinical team had simply listened to not only the students, but the governors around the country, and public health officials. It was inflexible and beyond irresponsible. 

I never expected this from PA school. I am posting this to spare others. I want to spare others the disappointment of such highly unmet expectations, TREMENDOUS debt, and disrespect from faculty. If they refuse to change how they teach and interact with students, the minimum obligation they have is truth in advertising.

Thank you for taking the time to post about the difficulties you have faced. I can only imagine how frustrating all of that would be, especially during this crazy year. Would you say that most of your classmates have felt the same way about how things have been handled throughout your 2 years there and that they were blind-sided by all these things as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SlimShady21 said:

Thank you for taking the time to post about the difficulties you have faced. I can only imagine how frustrating all of that would be, especially during this crazy year. Would you say that most of your classmates have felt the same way about how things have been handled throughout your 2 years there and that they were blind-sided by all these things as well?

No problem, thank you for reading. I would say with 100% confidence that most of my classmates felt the same way. So many people have told me that they felt like the interview and actual experience were complete opposites. We were all definitely blindsided. The thing that really gets me is how expensive the school is. If we were paying 1/3 of the cost for what we received, then ok. But truly, one of the most expensive schools in the country, advertises it as such, and then not only provides an extremely sub-par education, but treats students with no respect. Literally the least amount of respect I have ever been treated as as a student. I truly hope whoever reads this takes it seriously and saves yourself the disappointment, and money. To be completely upfront, I'll be paying $2400 a month for the next 10 years to pay off PA school. Which is a mortgage payment on a nice house. Save yourself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else who was denied for the PA program offered a 'transfer of application to the Master's of Arts in Biomedical Sciences' ?

I would like to know the benefit of doing this program or if anyone knows if this would actually increase my chances into the PA program.. any and all information is appreciated!

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ericapaige said:

Has anyone else who was denied for the PA program offered a 'transfer of application to the Master's of Arts in Biomedical Sciences' ?

I would like to know the benefit of doing this program or if anyone knows if this would actually increase my chances into the PA program.. any and all information is appreciated!

Thank you!

Yes, I think they do that for all rejected students to their various programs. Sounds like a money grab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More