2020-2021 Application cycle

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone! How are you all answering the question 

"Please explain ANY grades of a C or lower in ANY course (not just prerequisite coursework). (If no grades of a C or lower, then enter N/A.)" 

I have a few courses from when I first began college years ago with letter grades below C. Should I describe each course or just give a brief summary? 

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Mimi2019 said:

Hi Everyone! How are you all answering the question 

"Please explain ANY grades of a C or lower in ANY course (not just prerequisite coursework). (If no grades of a C or lower, then enter N/A.)" 

I have a few courses from when I first began college years ago with letter grades below C. Should I describe each course or just give a brief summary? 

Thanks!

I said which courses they were and described the circumstances leading to the bad grades (in one case, I had a terrible roommate situation and didn't feel safe at home), or that I retook a couple of them for A's in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys ! I submitted at the end of May and have not heard anything. Anybody else ? Is this program rolling admissions?

Hey! I submitted mine in May and haven’t heard back yet. Based on the timeline posted on their website, I think this is normal:

https://health.usf.edu/medicine/pa/prospective-students/application-timeline

It basically says that applications are reviewed between now and November and interview invites are sent out in September. Hope this kind of answers your question!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got sent an email saying my application is under review and explaining the application/interview timeline moving forward!

"Application review process: June through October
Interview Invitations sent: late August through October
Interviews Conducted: October and November" 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, prepagirl321 said:

Hey all! Congrats to you all who have gotten an interview invite! I'm currently a first year PA student in the program, if anyone has any questions about the interview process, feel free to message me! Good luck to you all 🤘🏼

What were your stats, if you don't mind sharing?

4 hours ago, prepagirl321 said:

Hey all! Congrats to you all who have gotten an interview invite! I'm currently a first year PA student in the program, if anyone has any questions about the interview process, feel free to message me! Good luck to you all 🤘🏼

Hi! Thanks for offering to answer some questions! I actually have a few about the program. You don't have to answer them all if you do not want to.

1) How many (or what percentage) students are considered out-of-state?

2) What do you like most about USF PA program? 

3) What types of opportunities are there for PA students to be more involved in the community? (Ex. participating in clubs, volunteering, bonding with the class)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caitlynharper said:

when did you submit and when were you verified?

CASPA submitted May 25th

Confirmation May 26th (GRE scores received by May 28th since I sent them on the 25th)

Under review August 5th

Interview offer August 20th

STATS: I know someone else asked for stats. I'm happy to share my stats, but I have to disclaim this: My stats are just numbers. There is so much more to me (and each applicant for the matter) that is beyond these numbers.🙂 

22 (almost 23 y/o), Maryland resident, graduate from the University of Maryland College Park (B.S General Biology), first cycle applying

cGPA: 3.91 (non-science GPA: 3.86, science GPA: 3.94)

GRE 307 AW 4.0 (tanked verbal 149, quant 158) - I took it less than a week before COVID officially became a pandemic. I wanted to re-take it but I felt iffy about the at-home testing and had personal/family stuff going on at home. 

PCE (at time of application): ~1400 hours ER Medical Scribe, 144 hours Pulmonary Rehab volunteer 

**Working as a MA now - updated my application last week after receiving the under review email. Now have about 2000 hours of PCE. Not sure if they took this into account or not since some schools do not look at them.

Shadowing: ~70 hours (1/3 of hours with MD, rest with PAs in out-patient setting)

Other Work Experience: 2000+ hours as a lead server in a retirement community

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100+ hours 

Extracurriculars: NCAA DIII Women's Soccer Athlete (1 year before transferring schools), Honor's program, CHAARG (an exclusively women's workout organization), UMD Transfer2Terp organization, Pre-Med Society, Research, etc. Held a few leadership positions in the organizations I was involved in. 

5 LOR's: 2 PAs and 1 MD I worked with a lot in the ER, A&P II Professor, and Volunteer Coordinator 

Repeat disclaimer: Stats are just numbers. I'm not perfect, but I am confident in my abilities and certain that I want to go to PA school/become a PA! 🙂 Again, I am super grateful for this opportunity! I'll admit - I have compared myself to previous class stats and felt awful, especially b/c of my verbal score. USF is very high on my list of PA schools and I still took the chance even though I thought it was a stretch for me. 

I hope this information is somewhat helpful (either stats, my disclaimers, or both). Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle!! 

- Ashley

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cbacon25 said:

Congrats. What time did you get the email?

6 hours ago, Ruru626 said:

Congrats and good luck! Do you mind sharing your stats?

I received the email this morning around 10am. I submitted my CASPA application on August 1. Verified August 5 and received email that application is under review from USF on August 5.

My stats:

I am 24 y/o first-generation college student who went to community college to get an A.A. in biology and then transferred to Smith College to earn my B.A. in neuroscience.

cGPA: 3.81, sGPA: 3.66, non-scienceGPA: 4.0

GRE: 302, 4.5

PCE:  ~4,000 hours

Volunteer: ~1,000 hours

Shadowing: ~300 hours, plastic surgeon and plastic surgery PA

Extracurricular Activities: Community Health Organizer, First-Generation College Student Club pioneer member and mentor, Hospital volunteer, Bridge program orientation leader for students of color, volunteer in animal shelter. I conducted research for 2 years and completed an undergraduate thesis with the data collected.

LORs: 4, 1 Plastic Surgeon, 1 Research Mentor, 2 Emergency Department MD (one was the medical director).

I truly believe no two applicants are the same and that is the beauty of the process. The goal, I am sure, is to have a class of diverse well rounded students who have the shared passion and goal to become a PA and help patients. Please don't compare yourself, especially not to the point to feeling discouraged. The fact that you are here reading this shows your interest and drive to be better, and that means a lot!

I am a first time applicant and am so excited for this opportunity! I look forward to getting to read all of your stories and read what great candidates you are! 😊

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

7 hours ago, prepagirl321 said:

Thank you so much! Would you be willing to discuss any changes to the curriculum due to COVID-19?  Also, I am very interested in the capstone project, would you be willing to share a little more about the capstone project in terms of how you decide a topic (if you get to decide), is it independent research or can you work with a team, and if you have a mentor along the way? 

Thank you again.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, atoy1 said:

Hi! Thanks for offering to answer some questions! I actually have a few about the program. You don't have to answer them all if you do not want to.

1) How many (or what percentage) students are considered out-of-state?

2) What do you like most about USF PA program? 

3) What types of opportunities are there for PA students to be more involved in the community? (Ex. participating in clubs, volunteering, bonding with the class)

1) So I think we only have a handful of students in my current cohort that are from out of state. 

2) One thing I like most about USF's program is how welcoming everyone is. The staff have been so supportive and they really do all they can to ensure their students succeed. It definitely feels like a family.

3) It's really hard to comment on this currently with everything going on with COVID but in general the Morsani College of Medicine is HUGE on volunteering and giving back to the community. There's always so many opportunities available to students to get involved within the community. In terms of bonding with the class, we haven't really had the opportunity to do any in person bonding but just over the last 3 months I feel we have gotten so close as a class just based on how much we all talk everyday in a group chat together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1