2020-2021 UND Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, FUPAAshley said:

Hello! I know this is a hybrid school with a lot of the didactic being online. I'm from the South and was wondering if people ever moved to Grand Forks for the two years or if they only stay in their home areas. 

That sounds like a good question maybe for admissions. From my understanding, you're only required to be on-campus a handful of times. Also if I am understanding correctly, if you want to do your clinicals nearby the school or do not have a preceptor to apply with then your clinicals will likely be in ND. I guess in that case you may want to move closer. It sounds like a personal preference to me though. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 12:15 AM, olipajoli said:

Hey @Tiera! I found a preceptor through a coworker. You could look into shadowing a primary care PA and ask them if they'd precept you. I know it's difficult to shadow now, but I just asked around at my work to find someone. 

Do you know if this school rotates for clinical  or if you’re with that one preceptor the entire time? Sorry to ask so many questions. I just found out a out to program a few days ago. 

Hi @Tiera! I'm also just learning about UND. Here is a video I found that was helpful: 

This info overview goes to the preceptor and is helpful to kind of understand what they want from the preceptor:
preceptor-overview-revised-6-5-20.pdf

And on this page if you click "applicants with primary care/preceptor site" there is more info: https://med.und.edu/physician-assistant/preceptor.html#d28e90-1

Sounds like you are with the same person/clinic for the duration with additional access to a local hospital. I recognize you from the Yale forum. Good luck!

Edited by rainbowpa
linking another member
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kettle said:

You'll do eight months with the same preceptor in family medicine and four months of a mix of general surgery, emergency medicine, urgent care, hospitalist and six weeks of electives which can include extra time in the previous specialties 

Will I have to find those preceptors as well ? 

@Tiera You might try asking a larger medical system if they can do it. Where I live there is a large healthcare system throughout the state that owns multiple hospitals and tons of clinics. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they would take it on. That way I would have access to placement in a hospital in addition to nearby clinics that cover all the specialties. 

5 hours ago, Zackc831 said:

I shadowed a pa that attended and she said they do not help at all with placement. 

Not completely true, if you have a preference for location you will have to do the leg work. If you are not picky they have quite a few options in Eastern North Dakota and Northwestern Minnesota. I know this as I graduated from the program. 

On 7/30/2020 at 8:34 PM, kettle said:

Not completely true, if you have a preference for location you will have to do the leg work. If you are not picky they have quite a few options in Eastern North Dakota and Northwestern Minnesota. I know this as I graduated from the program. 

Are you from the surrounding area ? Would you recommend this program to anyone ? I haven’t had the chance to attended any information sessions. Again sorry for all the questions, but I thank you all for answering them. 

I'm from the Midwest but did my rotations outside of the areas I previously listed. I set some up myself but did get some help with others. I would recommend making it a priority to attend information sessions as I would imagine they are online now. The website for the program is really informative if you read through it and check out previous forum posts on here. I would recommend any program that one can get into as all programs are competitive and all are equally difficult 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kettle said:

I'm from the Midwest but did my rotations outside of the areas I previously listed. I set some up myself but did get some help with others. I would recommend making it a priority to attend information sessions as I would imagine they are online now. The website for the program is really informative if you read through it and check out previous forum posts on here. I would recommend any program that one can get into as all programs are competitive and all are equally difficult 

I looked at the website, but I didn’t see anything about an upcoming information session. I’ve tried calling local hospitals, but everyone is refusing to take on students for preceptorship until further notice. 

44 minutes ago, Tiera said:

I looked at the website, but I didn’t see anything about an upcoming information session. I’ve tried calling local hospitals, but everyone is refusing to take on students for preceptorship until further notice. 

If you read all of the drop down tabs on this website https://med.und.edu/physician-assistant/prerequisites.html#d28e110-3 it says you don't have to apply with a preceptor although it decreases the likelihood of getting accepted. You are correct as with the current pandemic many hospitals are not taking students especially in metropolitan areas. My only recommendation is to try more rural clinics as if it is something that you desire to do you may have to relocate. Hope this helps 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jlnisbett said:

I applied in May! Hoping to hear something soon! I live in Tennessee and do not have any schools close to me. Has anyone heard anything? I cant seem to find much about this program, unfortunately. 

I applied in July and I’m over here going crazy constantly checking my email 🤣 I haven’t heard anything yet.