2020-2021 Wisconsin-Madison Application Cycle

Not very well... I'm dying for some information. UW Madison is my first choice and unfortunately for me one of the last schools to send out invites! 

How are you handling the wait?

Guest PA4day
53 minutes ago, NOLAPALady said:

Not very well... I'm dying for some information. UW Madison is my first choice and unfortunately for me one of the last schools to send out invites! 

How are you handling the wait?

Are you also located in Louisiana? I am holding up. Like you, this is also my top choice. We got this! 😊 Hang in there!

Yes!! Located in New Orleans. Where y'at?

Our choices here are pretty pretty pretty limited. Fingers crossed we both get an interview and maybe can fly out together. Who knows! Staying positive and wishing you luck.

I submitted my application on 5/30/2020 and received an email that UW received my verified application on 6/4/2020. I have not received any other emails. 

How about you: when did you apply?

On 7/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, maditzer said:

Has anyone received confirmation from UW Madison that their application was received?  Or under review?  Thank you!

I have received notification that my application was verified and received from Juli. I am awaiting to hear back. It has been very nerve wracking but have started my MPH degree in the process while I wait. Hoping to get most of the core classes out of the way before doing the step out program to do PA school. 

Just keep your head up! The time will pass by quicker than you think!!! 

CASPA submitted: July 2nd

CASPA verified July 2nd

Email confirmation from UW Madison July 3rd 

@maditzer Maybe check your spam folder one of the other schools I applied confirmation ended up being sent there. 

On 7/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, wltaylor said:

I have received notification that my application was verified and received from Juli. I am awaiting to hear back. It has been very nerve wracking but have started my MPH degree in the process while I wait. Hoping to get most of the core classes out of the way before doing the step out program to do PA school. 

Just keep your head up! The time will pass by quicker than you think!!! 

16 hours ago, Christine616 said:

CASPA submitted: July 2nd

CASPA verified July 2nd

Email confirmation from UW Madison July 3rd 

@maditzer Maybe check your spam folder one of the other schools I applied confirmation ended up being sent there. 

Got the email!  Thank you! Good luck to both of you!

Are you guys using all your characters for both optional essays? Mine are only about 2500 right now...

33 minutes ago, ediep said:

Are you guys using all your characters for both optional essays? Mine are only about 2500 right now...

If you go under Madison's How to Apply page, it mentions that the essays should be no longer than 700 words. I don't know why it doesn't say that on CASPA though.

Any one else starting to worry how they may do interviews due to the pandemic? Will they do a zoom interview? or maybe spread interviews out over weeks instead of a few days? Just trying to figure out how to best prepare myself. 

2 minutes ago, wltaylor said:

Any one else starting to worry how they may do interviews due to the pandemic? Will they do a zoom interview? or maybe spread interviews out over weeks instead of a few days? Just trying to figure out how to best prepare myself. 

I emailed Juli a few questions earlier this week and one was about the interview format. She advised me that the interviews have always taken place in person but they are prepared to conduct them either in person or through an online video conferencing platform. It sounds to me like they are waiting for more answers regarding CoVID and travel shut downs/regulations before making a decision on the final format.

My biggest concern is traveling to Wisconsin in the snow 😂... And getting CoVID on the plane ride there... And having to stay in a hotel if any are even open...

So I guess prepare for both options.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:23 PM, NOLAPALady said:

I emailed Juli a few questions earlier this week and one was about the interview format. She advised me that the interviews have always taken place in person but they are prepared to conduct them either in person or through an online video conferencing platform. It sounds to me like they are waiting for more answers regarding CoVID and travel shut downs/regulations before making a decision on the final format.

My biggest concern is traveling to Wisconsin in the snow 😂... And getting CoVID on the plane ride there... And having to stay in a hotel if any are even open...

So I guess prepare for both options.

This is reassuring. I also worry about how we will be perceived with a mask covering half of our face! I am worried about driving in the snow as well and honestly worry if my prius can handle all the snow like that but I guess we will find out in due time. Thank you for letting us know! 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know, do they send email confirmation once they receive your CASPer score? I took my test over a month ago and my CASPer account says it was sent. I haven't received any confirmation from Wisconsin though. Just want to make sure it's in before August 1st! 

Does anyone know, do they send email confirmation once they receive your CASPer score? I took my test over a month ago and my CASPer account says it was sent. I haven't received any confirmation from Wisconsin though. Just want to make sure it's in before August 1st! 

2 hours ago, Mllyg said:

I don't think they sent a confirmation email. You can always email Juli to try and confirm. They wont let you know the scores though. 

2 minutes ago, wltaylor said:

I don't think they sent a confirmation email. You can always email Juli to try and confirm. They wont let you know the scores though. 

Okay thank you!

32 minutes ago, bellarae2872 said:

I got an email saying third week of December!

You are absolutely right! I just rechecked my email; its the third week of December. 

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone. I'm a current didactic year student at UW. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have. Also, Juli and Erin are wonderful and very helpful if you have any questions.

To answer some things I've seen so far:

-Yes, UW has a very holistic approach and we have a really diverse class. The reason they wait so long is so they can be thorough and make sure they give everyone a fair chance. I wouldn't be too discouraged about a lower GPA or anything like that as long as everything else looks good.

-Yes, they do wait a long time. At the time I interviewed I had four acceptances. The interview and the people here will really blow you away though, and for me, it was a no-brainer to come here. 

-Also something to note: UW is experienced in doing online and distance education whereas other programs may not be. They were really prepared to switch to online learning right away and so far this first semester has gone really well. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hmmmm3 said:

Hi everyone. I'm a current didactic year student at UW. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have. Also, Juli and Erin are wonderful and very helpful if you have any questions.

To answer some things I've seen so far:

-Yes, UW has a very holistic approach and we have a really diverse class. The reason they wait so long is so they can be thorough and make sure they give everyone a fair chance. I wouldn't be too discouraged about a lower GPA or anything like that as long as everything else looks good.

-Yes, they do wait a long time. At the time I interviewed I had four acceptances. The interview and the people here will really blow you away though, and for me, it was a no-brainer to come here. 

-Also something to note: UW is experienced in doing online and distance education whereas other programs may not be. They were really prepared to switch to online learning right away and so far this first semester has gone really well. 

Thank you so much for offering to answer our questions. UW (distance) is my top choice! However, I am also interested in the on-campus track if offered a spot.

This may sound like a silly or irrelevant question; how is the weather? I am from a tropical climate that rarely experiences snow or extremely cold temperatures. I am having a hard time imagining how cold it will be in WI.

Also, what have you liked the most and the least about the program so far?

37 minutes ago, NOLAPALady said:

Thank you so much for offering to answer our questions. UW (distance) is my top choice! However, I am also interested in the on-campus track if offered a spot.

This may sound like a silly or irrelevant question; how is the weather? I am from a tropical climate that rarely experiences snow or extremely cold temperatures. I am having a hard time imagining how cold it will be in WI.

Also, what have you liked the most and the least about the program so far?

Hey no problem at all. 

Alright, so the weather is beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall - especially the fall. The winter's can be rough. It gets very cold here but there is not an incredible amount of snow. For what it's worth, the few people who I know moved up north from the south actually appreciate the winter once they get used to it. Buy a warm coat though!

And as far as the program - by far the best thing is the faculty. Absolutely no one has an ego and they are committed to making you a PA. From day one you are treated collegially and they will bend over backwards for your success. They are also incredibly open to suggestions and feedback. What I have liked least is being online (which is out of there control, and, given the circumstance, I think they have done a wonderful job so far.) 

@hmmmm3

Thanks! I have a few more questions if your don't mind. 

Can you explain how the didactic material is presented; is it systems based?

What are the expectations of the students ow that all classes are online? Are you allowed to watch lectures on your own time or are you required to participate in all classes during class time? Finally, are you living in on campus housing or off campus housing; if on campus, can you share your experience during the pandemic ( how is the school keeping students safe, etc)?

Thank you again for answering all these questions.