Could really use some assistance from you guys!

My girlfriend was studying communication sciences and disorders, with the intention of then going on to audiology school for the next four years. She is a rising senior in the program and will graduate next April.

Just recently, she has been thinking she'd rather go to PA school. How complicated would you guys think this transition would be?

Her plan would be to take a year off after graduation to work at a hospital and accrue the 500 hours most schools require. However, she has only taken one semester of biology, one semester of chemistry, and all of her anatomy/physiology courses are specific to speech and hearing.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this, as well as the competitiveness of PA school compared to other graduate programs such as SLP and Audiology!

My girlfriend was studying communication sciences and disorders, with the intention of then going on to audiology school for the next four years. She is a rising senior in the program and will graduate next April.

Just recently, she has been thinking she'd rather go to PA school. How complicated would you guys think this transition would be?

Her plan would be to take a year off after graduation to work at a hospital and accrue the 500 hours most schools require. However, she has only taken one semester of biology, one semester of chemistry, and all of her anatomy/physiology courses are specific to speech and hearing.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this, as well as the competitiveness of PA school compared to other graduate programs such as SLP and Audiology!

Guest hubbardtim48

At my program: over 2,000 applied for 60 seats (3%). The national average is around 10%. She needs anatomy & physiology, at least one more biology (micro. or cell), at least one more chemistry (chem. II) to even meet the minimum requirements to most schools. I will tell you what I had and what has really helped me in PA school, I have 4 1/2 years of respiratory therapy (BSRT) (3.45) experience (9,000 hours), Asthma Educator, Masters in Health Science (3.93), two published research articles (AARC & INBRE), 1,500 hours of biochem. research, lots of volunteering (in the states and out of country), minor in cell and molecular biology, minor in biochemistry and the classes I took bio. 1 & 2 w/lab, micro. w/lab (300 level), anatomy w/cadaver (300), physio. w/lab (300), genetics w/lab (200), organic I and II w/lab (300), biochem. I w/lab (300), physics I & II (200), molecular cell. bio. (500), cardio. pulm. A&P (500), pharm. (500), biostats. (500), calculus I (200), sociology (100), ethics (100) and psychology (200). This is most everything I took that is looked @ by PA committees. For classes that have helped while in PA school, A & P (upper division), genetics, micro., biochem., pharm., mole. cell bio., biostats. Organic, physics, calculus is a waste of time and has not been useful yet in PA school. Hope this helps and good luck in your future!

Guest hubbardtim48

At my program: over 2,000 applied for 60 seats (3%). The national average is around 10%. She needs anatomy & physiology, at least one more biology (micro. or cell), at least one more chemistry (chem. II) to even meet the minimum requirements to most schools. I will tell you what I had and what has really helped me in PA school, I have 4 1/2 years of respiratory therapy (BSRT) (3.45) experience (9,000 hours), Asthma Educator, Masters in Health Science (3.93), two published research articles (AARC & INBRE), 1,500 hours of biochem. research, lots of volunteering (in the states and out of country), minor in cell and molecular biology, minor in biochemistry and the classes I took bio. 1 & 2 w/lab, micro. w/lab (300 level), anatomy w/cadaver (300), physio. w/lab (300), genetics w/lab (200), organic I and II w/lab (300), biochem. I w/lab (300), physics I & II (200), molecular cell. bio. (500), cardio. pulm. A&P (500), pharm. (500), biostats. (500), calculus I (200), sociology (100), ethics (100) and psychology (200). This is most everything I took that is looked @ by PA committees. For classes that have helped while in PA school, A & P (upper division), genetics, micro., biochem., pharm., mole. cell bio., biostats. Organic, physics, calculus is a waste of time and has not been useful yet in PA school. Hope this helps and good luck in your future!

Guest hubbardtim48

My sister-in-law is starting an SLP program here in CA. She applied to 3 schools, got into 1 and she had stellar stats. Either way you slice it, its a competitive market out there for advanced degrees in healthcare. Personally, I think it comes down to what she wants out of it. SLP/Audiology is a great niche, but if she thinks she'll be limited then she may look harder at PA. I'd be hesitant to switch gears so quickly to PA after so much time invested towards the Audiology route. If you count the time it will take her to get her pre-reqs, accrue the hours and become a competitive applicant and in the best case scenario make it in on the first shot, she's looking at graduating 4-5 years out anyways.

Which comes back to what I was saying about what she wants out of it. Does she want to be locked into a niche or expand as a healthcare provider? Only she can answer that.

As far as all the classes that hubbardtim48 mentioned, it will really depend on which programs she looks at. Once she gets an idea of where she wants to go, then she can tailor her pre-reqs to those programs.

My sister-in-law is starting an SLP program here in CA. She applied to 3 schools, got into 1 and she had stellar stats. Either way you slice it, its a competitive market out there for advanced degrees in healthcare. Personally, I think it comes down to what she wants out of it. SLP/Audiology is a great niche, but if she thinks she'll be limited then she may look harder at PA. I'd be hesitant to switch gears so quickly to PA after so much time invested towards the Audiology route. If you count the time it will take her to get her pre-reqs, accrue the hours and become a competitive applicant and in the best case scenario make it in on the first shot, she's looking at graduating 4-5 years out anyways.

Which comes back to what I was saying about what she wants out of it. Does she want to be locked into a niche or expand as a healthcare provider? Only she can answer that.

As far as all the classes that hubbardtim48 mentioned, it will really depend on which programs she looks at. Once she gets an idea of where she wants to go, then she can tailor her pre-reqs to those programs.

Archived