Jump to content

Online Class Advice - UC San Diego Extension Courses


Recommended Posts

Anyone know if UC San Diego extension courses ( https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/biochemistry) count towards most PA school pre-requisites. I need to take Biochemistry and Genetics over the summer. First time applicant and these would be my two in-progress courses. 


UC San Diego's prices are pretty good from what I see. Unfortunately most schools that I e-mailed regarding pre-requisites say they can't provide info on if the course would satisfy their requirements at this time.


Otherwise does anyone have suggestions for where I could take online classes that count towards most schools but still affordable? Currently out of work due to COVID-19.

Any help is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 10:21 PM, Finntastic said:

I’ve taken several courses with UCSD extension, and so far I’ve had no issue with them being accepted. Biochemistry wasn’t too bad, and I have no idea what their genetics class is like.

Hi There!  I'm considering taking Biochemistry, Immunology, Chem 1 & 2 through UCSD extension.  How are the classes?  What are the exams like?  About how many hours per week did you invest for each class?  Any tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 9/22/2020 at 1:52 PM, JuliaC said:

Hi There!  I'm considering taking Biochemistry, Immunology, Chem 1 & 2 through UCSD extension.  How are the classes?  What are the exams like?  About how many hours per week did you invest for each class?  Any tips will be greatly appreciated. thanks! 🙂

I’m thinking about taking chem 1 with them in January. I know you posted this back in September, have you taken any of the courses yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, aeabela said:

I’m thinking about taking chem 1 with them in January. I know you posted this back in September, have you taken any of the courses yet?

Hello!  Not yet.  I actually signed up for Chem 1 and Immunology through Doane University.  I'm considering Biochem through UCSD.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JuliaC said:

Hello!  Not yet.  I actually signed up for Chem 1 and Immunology through Doane University.  I'm considering Biochem through UCSD.  

I was planning on doing Chem 1 with Doane in January but then heard about UCSD extension. What made you go with Doane? I kinda preferred them but they’re so expensive! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, michalynkelli said:

I've taken both Biochemistry and Microbiology through UCSD extension. Both courses were expensive, but fairly easy. I've had no issues with schools taking them as prerequisites.

Do you remember roughly how much the lab kits were? I can’t see the price till after I sign up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I just started Chem I at UCSD Extension and it seems really easy. I'm actually worried I'm not going to learn enough. The class started Monday and I was done with all assignments (homework, quiz, discussion forum, graphing assignment, lab) by Tuesday. It was only about 2 hours of work. Also, the teacher is a little sloppy. I answered two quiz questions correctly but they were marked incorrect. I reached out the teacher and she fixed it but I'm worried this is going to happen throughout the course. The lab kit was $280. 

 

I think the UC Berkeley Extension classes are better but UCSD is cheaper. DON'T do University of New England. It's super expensive, the lectures are 10 minutes long and the workload is at least 20 hours/week. Their refund policy is terrible. I dropped it in the first week due to the lack of instruction and only got 40% of $1,500 back. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ChloeFranny

I took Biochem through UCSD and need to take an additional chem as mine from undergrad is >10 years old. Would you mind sharing a little more information about the class? I’m specifically wondering about the format? Is there a final exam or is it your grade just composed of homework, weekly quizzes, and lab reports? Also, are the quizzes/exams open book and open note? Thank you in advance!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Junebug0405 said:

@ChloeFranny

I took Biochem through UCSD and need to take an additional chem as mine from undergrad is >10 years old. Would you mind sharing a little more information about the class? I’m specifically wondering about the format? Is there a final exam or is it your grade just composed of homework, weekly quizzes, and lab reports? Also, are the quizzes/exams open book and open note? Thank you in advance!!

I ended up taking Chem 1 last quarter and just started Chem 2 this quarter through UCSD extension. Overall the class was not very demanding. You have 1 quiz due every week, a discussion board due by Friday, a chapter assignment which just helps you review that weeks material, 1-2 labs that are not necessarily hard but can be a little time consuming, and usually she would throw in one smaller assignment based on that chapter. There is a cumulative final but it is pretty straight forward and similar to the quizzes. It seems like so far chem 2 is a similar format

Edited by aeabela
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello,

I took chem/lab 1 at UCSD ext with Dr. Tam. She seems like she has no idea what she is talking about. Her lectures are very badly done. She constantly makes mistakes during her talk. The chemistry level is very low. You will not learn much. The assignments are all over the place as well.

Now, I am taking chem 2/Lab with Dr. Zajac. What a dramatic change! You would love her class. The chemistry concepts are well explained and the assignments are very interesting. She makes you think and she wants you to learn chemistry from different perspectives. Moreover, she is very helpful and fully engaged in the class. I truly recommend her course. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, Junebug0405 said:

@ChloeFranny

I took Biochem through UCSD and need to take an additional chem as mine from undergrad is >10 years old. Would you mind sharing a little more information about the class? I’m specifically wondering about the format? Is there a final exam or is it your grade just composed of homework, weekly quizzes, and lab reports? Also, are the quizzes/exams open book and open note? Thank you in advance!!

Hi! I 'm considering biochem or organic chem at UCSD. Did you take biochem after taking organic? I have the option to take biochem instead of organic and I'm strongly considering it. How hard would you describe the course to be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, aeabela said:

I ended up taking Chem 1 last quarter and just started Chem 2 this quarter through UCSD extension. Overall the class was not very demanding. You have 1 quiz due every week, a discussion board due by Friday, a chapter assignment which just helps you review that weeks material, 1-2 labs that are not necessarily hard but can be a little time consuming, and usually she would throw in one smaller assignment based on that chapter. There is a cumulative final but it is pretty straight forward and similar to the quizzes. It seems like so far chem 2 is a similar format

I am considering UCSD extension for Chem I. Are the quizzes and final exam proctored? Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, Lucja1225 said:

Hello,

I took chem/lab 1 at UCSD ext with Dr. Tam. She seems like she has no idea what she is talking about. Her lectures are very badly done. She constantly makes mistakes during her talk. The chemistry level is very low. You will not learn much. The assignments are all over the place as well.

Now, I am taking chem 2/Lab with Dr. Zajac. What a dramatic change! You would love her class. The chemistry concepts are well explained and the assignments are very interesting. She makes you think and she wants you to learn chemistry from different perspectives. Moreover, she is very helpful and fully engaged in the class. I truly recommend her course. 

 

I just signed up for chem 1 at UCSD extension. I am curious if the exams are proctored or if they are open note? Also, if they are open note/book, did you have enough time to look up answers? Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Seanb said:

I am considering UCSD extension for Chem I. Are the quizzes and final exam proctored? Thanks in advance!

When I took it with Dr. Tam they were not proctored. I think they may have been timed but you have more than enough time to do them. The same was with Dr. Zajac with chem 2

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Tarantino
      Hi, everyone. I'm a non-traditional student, wrapping up my associate's degree in psychology from a small state school (not a community college) in Georgia. This college only offers 3 bachelor degrees, which is why I would finish elsewhere. I was a student at Arizona State Online, but transferred to take my prerequisites and labs in person. All my science prerequisites with in-person labs for PA programs will be done prior to transferring to the next college for my bachelor's degree. Now that I'm almost done, I was originally planning to then finish my degree through ASU, but am now considering finishing it at my local university for various reasons. Here's the two options I have:
       
      Option A: Finish my bachelor's degree in psychology at my local university.
      PROS: Graduate with less than $10k in debt. Get hands-on experience in research. More than likely get a stronger letter of recommendation.
      CONS: It would take longer to finish. I would barely get by, working part-time and living paycheck to paycheck. I would have to devote more time to in-person classes, which would take away from my income and time to do other things. Less volunteer hours. ALL clinical hours will be in private EMS, so my hands-on experience and skills won't be utilized as much, as it's 95% mostly transporting stable patients.
      Option B: Finish my bachelor's degree in psychology at Arizona State University (online).
      PROS: Accelerated program and can finish in 1.5 years instead of 2.5 years. Work in 911 EMS, which means better hands-on experience and utilizing my skills more - I think this will also make me a better provider in the future. More time to work, which means more income. More time not in a physical class, which means more time to volunteer, which is less stressful since I also have more money in general. Still get to go graduate in person.
      CONS: Graduate with around $30k in debt. Weaker letters of recommendation. Little research opportunity. Obvious I finished my degree online because the college is 20+ hours away.
       
      Although it would cost more to finish at ASU, I could become a PA faster, which means it would actually be better financially IF I were to get into both at the same cycle.
    • By Erose
      Hello all!
      I am sure there are already several similar topics already on here, but I am struggling to find them. I am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of schools that do or do not accept online anatomy and physiology courses if taken during quarantine. I have checked the websites of several schools that make no statements on how their prereq requirements have been altered in response to the pandemic. If anyone has any recommendations I would be very grateful.
      Thank you!!
    • By toyosizai
      Hi, 
       
      Just signed up for this forum. 
       
      I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 
       
      I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 
       
      I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 
       
    • By beccapolyack
      Hey, everybody! Fairly new here. I’ve been scrolling through other threads on this site regarding recommended online schools for prerequisite courses. A few of the threads are extremely helpful but several years old, so I wanted to start a more contemporary thread in case online school qualities have changed or there are any new ones. 
      I’m looking to take biochemistry and anatomy online. Ideally a low price would be great, but a self-paced online course is most important to me considering my current career and associated time restrictions. 
      I’ve been looking heavily at UNE for both courses but have heard mixed reviews. Any recommendations or suggestions based on your experiences, for UNE or others?
      Thank you so much!
      Becca
    • By trusttheprocess95
      Hello all!
      Has anyone taken Pharmacology online at Doane? I'm exploring my options, but leaning more towards Doane University at the moment. ANY type of feedback regarding the course or other schools ya'll may have completed it at would be greatly APPRECIATED! 
      Thank you so much in advance 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More