Psych PAs needed...

At two locations that I practice, since the early 90s... they have only ever searched for/recruited and hired ARNPs/Psych NPs as prescribers.

As a matter of fact, there were no policies or procedures in place for PAs to do much of anything outside of primary care admission H&Ps and acute care at one place and the other place simply had NEVER ever employed a PA.

After associating with me... and seeing first-hand the advantage of PA-Cs in comparison to ARNPs (The ability to practice "full spectum medicine" with a Psychiatry leaning and therefore position them appropriately for the "medical home" model)... both places are actively looking for PAs to fill current vacancies.

They even recinded the original advertisments and changed them from "Psychiatrist or ARNP" to "Psychiatrist, PA-C or ARNP."

Then they re-wrote their P&Ps to include PAs in the Medical Staff and all the language that pertains to it.

So now...

WE NEED 2 PA-C's with some Psych experience..

Full and customary bennies

Reasonable salary based upon negotiation skillz ($50-$57/hr for 10-14 patients/day M-F NO CALL with other opportunities to earn more )

PM me....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At two locations that I practice, since the early 90s... they have only ever searched for/recruited and hired ARNPs/Psych NPs as prescribers.

As a matter of fact, there were no policies or procedures in place for PAs to do much of anything outside of primary care admission H&Ps and acute care at one place and the other place simply had NEVER ever employed a PA.

After associating with me... and seeing first-hand the advantage of PA-Cs in comparison to ARNPs (The ability to practice "full spectum medicine" with a Psychiatry leaning and therefore position them appropriately for the "medical home" model)... both places are actively looking for PAs to fill current vacancies.

They even recinded the original advertisments and changed them from "Psychiatrist or ARNP" to "Psychiatrist, PA-C or ARNP."

Then they re-wrote their P&Ps to include PAs in the Medical Staff and all the language that pertains to it.

So now...

Reasonable salary based upon negotiation skillz ($50-$57/hr for 10-14 patients/day M-F NO CALL with other opportunities to earn more )

PM me....

So now...

PM me....

My dream too.....but once again, we're outgunned by the Psych NPs.....they make 100-125k.

NOPE..!!! $57/hr is between $100-$120/yr...

I make more than ALL 3 Psych NPs that work here.

How do I know this...??

Because they asked me a few months ago to join their collective re-negotiating squad because their contracts were coming up.

I expressed my hesitation and they continued to beg. Their obvious desperation piqued my interest so I asked them what they thought that I could do for them that they couldn't do for themselves. Especially since I had only worked there about 9 months at the time and they had all been there for 7-18 yrs.

They then told me that I could help them get higher pay. I stated that surely, they were being payed adequately, because I was... and that I was relatively new. I was the FNG

They then looked at each other... stated that they wanted me to help them get paid what I was being paid.

Shocked... I told them that I would think about it.

Later I declined.

When pressed as to why, I flat out told them that when they can practice "full spectrum medicine" AND psychiatry (Psychosomatic Medicine/Addiction/Family Practice, Cardiology, Rheumetology and Chronic Pain Management) then I'd agree that they should have parity and be paid as I am.

I then had the discussion about the necessity individual negotiation skillz and reminded them that when I arrived, a couple of them were "back-biting" and touting their NP superiority over PAs without ever having read my obviously superior resume'...

That was fun...!!!

:heheh:

My dream too.....but once again, we're outgunned by the Psych NPs.....they make 100-125k.

How do I know this...??

Because they asked me a few months ago to join their collective re-negotiating squad because their contracts were coming up.

I expressed my hesitation and they continued to beg. Their obvious desperation piqued my interest so I asked them what they thought that I could do for them that they couldn't do for themselves. Especially since I had only worked there about 9 months at the time and they had all been there for 7-18 yrs.

They then told me that I could help them get higher pay. I stated that surely, they were being payed adequately, because I was... and that I was relatively new. I was the FNG

They then looked at each other... stated that they wanted me to help them get paid what I was being paid.

Later I declined.

When pressed as to why, I flat out told them that when they can practice "full spectrum medicine" AND psychiatry (Psychosomatic Medicine/Addiction/Family Practice, Cardiology, Rheumetology and Chronic Pain Management) then I'd agree that they should have parity and be paid as I am.

I then had the discussion about the necessity individual negotiation skillz and reminded them that when I arrived, a couple of them were "back-biting" and touting their NP superiority over PAs without ever having read my obviously superior resume'...

That was fun...!!!

How do I know this...??

Later I declined.

That was fun...!!!

good work.

know what you are worth and accept nothing less. it's even better if your sp knows what you are worth. at a prior job I was talking about leaving over pay and my sp talked to the powers that be in my presence and said "if "emedpa" leaves I will have to hire an er doc to replace him". bingo, those were the magic words. $8/hr raise and time and a half for overtime(previous was straight pay and I worked 220+ hrs/mo).

always have an exit strategy/ back up plan and be ready to walk from any job on 5 min notice. I always have a few per diem jobs and a file of places ready and willing to hire me with a single phone call.

good work.

know what you are worth and accept nothing less. it's even better if your sp knows what you are worth. at a prior job I was talking about leaving over pay and my sp talked to the powers that be in my presence and said "if "emedpa" leaves I will have to hire an er doc to replace him". bingo, those were the magic words. $8/hr raise and time and a half for overtime(previous was straight pay and I worked 220+ hrs/mo).

always have an exit strategy/ back up plan and be ready to walk from any job on 5 min notice. I always have a few per diem jobs and a file of places ready and willing to hire me with a single phone call.

good work.

good work.

This is if you're in a position to be able to walk away........if you're in a PA loving state vs a "What's a PA?" state...

good work.

This is if you're in a position to be able to walk away........if you're in a PA loving state vs a "What's a PA?" state...

good work.

I'd consider it but you'd fire me for being right. ;) Seriously, I'm so tired of dealing with issues like that ... I'm so with you emed, great advice about the 5 minutes preparedness. The last clinic I gave notice to had a problem with the fact that I refused to give a week-long absence note to a 16 year old kid who was having finals in 2 weeks. Is there not a liability to the school here? Yet I was 'counseled'. I think I need to somehow just open my own clinic.

I'd consider it but you'd fire me for being right. ;) Seriously, I'm so tired of dealing with issues like that ... I'm so with you emed, great advice about the 5 minutes preparedness. The last clinic I gave notice to had a problem with the fact that I refused to give a week-long absence note to a 16 year old kid who was having finals in 2 weeks. Is there not a liability to the school here? Yet I was 'counseled'. I think I need to somehow just open my own clinic.

• 1 month later...

Archived