NHSC Scholarship 2020

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, Kcdohm said:

Congratulations to everyone! 
I was awarded this week as well! If anyone wants to connect and exchange questions about the process, let me know! 

Hey! I am interested in applying for this scholarship. When did you apply for the award and when were you accepted? Do you have any advice for applicants? 

thank you and congrats!!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone I'm also an incoming PA student for Fall 2021, would you say it's better to apply for the scholarship before you start PA school? Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw you can also apply for this scholarship while in PA school or after you graduate PA School? I know the scholarship is super competitive, but do your chances decrease if you apply to this scholarship while in PA school or once you finish PA school?? ALSO HUGR CONGRATS AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, fishtail said:

Hi everyone I'm also an incoming PA student for Fall 2021, would you say it's better to apply for the scholarship before you start PA school? Correct me if I'm wrong but I saw you can also apply for this scholarship while in PA school or after you graduate PA School? I know the scholarship is super competitive, but do your chances decrease if you apply to this scholarship while in PA school or once you finish PA school?? ALSO HUGR CONGRATS AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

I think there were several first year PA students that received the scholarship. I think they require documentation that you've been accepted, and you can apply. I believe I submitted the acceptance email, and that worked for them. I can't say if it is more competitive or not to apply while in school. I'd imagine it might be competitive because it's more money. I believe the loan repayment is up to 50K and the scholarship pays all of the tuition plus a stipend that can add up to over 100K depending on the school. There are benefits to both. More money is always good! But the loan repayment is a nice option too because there's not a minimum site score requirement like there is with the scholarship. That opens up more sites you could work at in more locations and not so restricted like the scholarship. However, they may prioritize funding higher scoring sites... Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Edited by Klillie
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:38 PM, Mhpa2020 said:

Hi all! Congrats to those to received a scholarship! I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing what made you a competitive applicant in the process? I’m an incoming student and will be applying next year when the application opens up again.

thank you!

It's hard to gauge who they chose for the scholarship. But on their website it lists out what prioritize when choosing recipients. I think it really comes down to showing your dedication to underserved communities. They really want providers that will continue working in underserved communities even after the service commitment is done. With that being said, making sure you highlight in your application the work you have done in underserved communities as well as getting LORs from people who can attest to your dedication to underserved communities. I hope that helps and good luck!

I've been preparing to apply for this since the cycle opens up next month I believe and I have a couple of questions. Also for reference I will be matriculating into my program starting summer 2021. 

1. Does the scholarship application work on a rolling or non-rolling basis?

2. For the LORs, can you submit more than the 2 required or does it have to be 1 clinical and 1 academic? I am having trouble deciding for my academic because I don't if it would be better to have someone write my LOR from the program I will be going into or my current Spanish teacher who knows me really well and can attest that I am learning the language to communicate with patients especially in an underserved community 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:46 AM, Christine616 said:

I've been preparing to apply for this since the cycle opens up next month I believe and I have a couple of questions. Also for reference I will be matriculating into my program starting summer 2021. 

1. Does the scholarship application work on a rolling or non-rolling basis?

2. For the LORs, can you submit more than the 2 required or does it have to be 1 clinical and 1 academic? I am having trouble deciding for my academic because I don't if it would be better to have someone write my LOR from the program I will be going into or my current Spanish teacher who knows me really well and can attest that I am learning the language to communicate with patients especially in an underserved community 

There is a due date for all applications. They'll let everyone know what that is when the applications open, but it should be in late April or early May.

Definitely use your Spanish teacher, or anyone else familiar with your academic track record! Looks like the deadline will be before your program starts. I don't think they allow you to submit more than 2, but you'll be able to confirm through the portal (which should open later this month). 

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on everyone who received the scholarship!!! 

I was reading this thread, and i just had a few questions. I will be matriculating at UCDAVIS starting June 28th. If we apply to the scholarship this month, will we know if we received in a reasonable amount of time to determine if we need to take additional loans out for school payment? I was told by financial aid school had to be paid for by the first day of class. I know after applying for a student loans It takes a while to receive the award (3 weeks-month), and i wouldn’t want to not be able to attend school because It isn’t paid for yet. 

I can’t find much online about the 2021-2022 year or even when the application will open. I’m really praying to be able to get this scholarship. 

Additional Questions for people who received the scholarship and have started working: 

1. Where you able to choose the area of the NHSC Approved site you worked at after school ? 

2. Can you take out additional student loans after you receive the scholarship for additional financial support?

3. If i have read correctly, it’s for every year they pay for your school , you work 2 years for a underserved community in primary care. I saw something where It said minimum 1 year for each year. 

Sorry for the long response. Thank you

On 3/11/2021 at 8:43 AM, AliyahBell said:

Congrats on everyone who received the scholarship!!! 

I was reading this thread, and i just had a few questions. I will be matriculating at UCDAVIS starting June 28th. If we apply to the scholarship this month, will we know if we received in a reasonable amount of time to determine if we need to take additional loans out for school payment? I was told by financial aid school had to be paid for by the first day of class. I know after applying for a student loans It takes a while to receive the award (3 weeks-month), and i wouldn’t want to not be able to attend school because It isn’t paid for yet. 

I can’t find much online about the 2021-2022 year or even when the application will open. I’m really praying to be able to get this scholarship. 

Additional Questions for people who received the scholarship and have started working: 

1. Where you able to choose the area of the NHSC Approved site you worked at after school ? 

2. Can you take out additional student loans after you receive the scholarship for additional financial support?

3. If i have read correctly, it’s for every year they pay for your school , you work 2 years for a underserved community in primary care. I saw something where It said minimum 1 year for each year. 

Sorry for the long response. Thank you

I can only answer a couple of your questions because I am a current PA student that got the scholarship. So I can't say what it's like as far as looking for a job and working at an approved site yet. My program started in May 2020, and I didn't know if I got the scholarship yet. I didn't find out until September 2020. So I ended up taking out loans for summer and fall semester. However, my school was able to return those loans since NHSC reimbursed my tuition costs. Yes, you can keep taking out additional loans. I have continued taking out additional loans for living expenses since I can't really live off of the $1300/mo stipend. And I'll be doing a 2-year service commitment when I'm done since they are paying for 2 years of my PA program. Hope that helps and good luck!

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 5:19 PM, 907AKPA said:

I can only answer a couple of your questions because I am a current PA student that got the scholarship. So I can't say what it's like as far as looking for a job and working at an approved site yet. My program started in May 2020, and I didn't know if I got the scholarship yet. I didn't find out until September 2020. So I ended up taking out loans for summer and fall semester. However, my school was able to return those loans since NHSC reimbursed my tuition costs. Yes, you can keep taking out additional loans. I have continued taking out additional loans for living expenses since I can't really live off of the $1300/mo stipend. And I'll be doing a 2-year service commitment when I'm done since they are paying for 2 years of my PA program. Hope that helps and good luck!

hi as a first time applying to this can i option for the scholarship for two years or i have to click 1 year first?

On 4/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, cbanks said:

hi as a first time applying to this can i option for the scholarship for two years or i have to click 1 year first?

I applied for 2 years since I was just starting PA school. I think people that don't receive it the first year can re-apply the next year and click 1 year, but I'm unsure on that. 

• 2 years later...
Hi all! I was recently accepted to a program and I'm very interested in applying for the NHSC scholarship.

My concern is that they require an academic LOR, but I graduated undergrad more than a handful of years ago, and I’m not sure how many professors would remember me. More recently, I've taken prereq courses, but I didn't have any "strong" relationships with those professors as they were one-off night courses for the most part. My PA program starts August 2024, so I assume that I won't be able to ask them for a letter either 😅

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has been in this position. I was hoping to get some advice on what others have done? 🙂 Thank you!