NHSC Scholarship 2020

5 hours ago, jreid said:

Interesting thought!! Maybe so? 
I hope you have all your stuff. It took me awhile to get the EV form and I was super stressed about it. Have a day taken away from site maintenance is just sort of ugly of them- but maybe you're right about countersignatures. Fingers crossed!

Fortunately, I got both the fall and summer EVF form filled out within a day! I got the fall form signed electronically by my director the night I was notified as a finalist and then they sent me the summer EVF form the next morning. Thankfully someone from enrollment services was able to sign the summer EVF for me electronically as well! So I got both forms in super quickly. I am hoping they have everything they need from me

27 minutes ago, Klillie said:

No news but the site is currently down for maintenance, so I think something is happening today! Hopefully!

I am so intrigued by this- I have not had any kind of notification of maintenance... and I can still log in and everything?? Weird!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Klillie said:

It's been doing that for me today. But I found that you can still access the login portal and login to your account using this link "https://programportal.hrsa.gov/extranet/landing.seam". So I really have no idea what any of this means lol. 

See same thing for me! What is weird is I have the portal log in bookmarked and when I click on it through bookmark- it works and lets me in fine but when i just look up NHSC, it gives me the maintenance message! Apparently last year someone was saying they did two site maintenances before countersignatures went out? Could be nothing but I have no clue!

13 minutes ago, Jminugh said:

See same thing for me! What is weird is I have the portal log in bookmarked and when I click on it through bookmark- it works and lets me in fine but when i just look up NHSC, it gives me the maintenance message! Apparently last year someone was saying they did two site maintenances before countersignatures went out? Could be nothing but I have no clue!

So, it is totally normal for me??? Did you guys have maintenance on 8/29 as well?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jreid said:

So, it is totally normal for me??? Did you guys have maintenance on 8/29 as well?

Yes it's totally normal that you're able to access it still on some parts of the site! Yes I definitely got the maintenance message Saturday so I have no clue what's going on right now! Most years it was around 09/11 so it's pretty early right now?

Edited by Jminugh

42 minutes ago, Jminugh said:

Yes it's totally normal that you're able to access it still on some parts of the site! Yes I definitely got the maintenance message Saturday so I have no clue what's going on right now! Most years it was around 09/11 so it's pretty early right now?

It is! But ya know- 2020. 

2 hours ago, Klillie said:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I'm already in the mindset that I got it ever since I got the finalist email! It'd be pretty surprising if any of us didn't end up getting it. So try to relax 🙂 

That's how Ive felt also but I am just worried since they state it isn't a guarantee! But I don't see why they would have us sign a contract and provide our bank account information if they didn't plan on awarding us with it!

How often do they change the score?

I am reading about it here: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/requirements-compliance/jobs-and-site-search/hpsa-score-class-year

They are sure to say with the class serving in 2021, but they do not say about after. I am unfamiliar with the typical practices. Does anyone know if they change the minimum score every year? 

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2020 at 8:57 AM, jreid said:

How often do they change the score?

I am reading about it here: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/requirements-compliance/jobs-and-site-search/hpsa-score-class-year

They are sure to say with the class serving in 2021, but they do not say about after. I am unfamiliar with the typical practices. Does anyone know if they change the minimum score every year? 

I was wondering the same thing. If we were to get the scholarship, are we sure that we'd have to work at a facility with an HPSA score of 20+ or could it change by the time we graduate? Two of the facilities I'd love to work at have a score of 19. 

Y'all, I'm starting to freak out about the availability of qualified job sites.  I am a finalist and just wanted to double check before everything is signed.  I live in eastern KY, and there are exactly zero qualifying opportunities in the entire state. Is anyone else in this position?  I am considering withdrawing my  application before the countersignature returns, and I am heartbroken over it.

3 hours ago, jmille6805 said:

Y'all, I'm starting to freak out about the availability of qualified job sites.  I am a finalist and just wanted to double check before everything is signed.  I live in eastern KY, and there are exactly zero qualifying opportunities in the entire state. Is anyone else in this position?  I am considering withdrawing my  application before the countersignature returns, and I am heartbroken over it.

How are you searching? 

I have had some trouble with the Workforce connector tool. I have searched for primary care with scores 20-25 and gotten 0 results for my state- then when I searched with NO parameters, I found places with scores of 20 and 21!

These are my results when I search Kentucky with primary care set to 19-25.

image.thumb.png.e3eb8d3740fb4f0aa476855ce3274064.png

Edit*
I just realized you said "opportunities"-
I am not super concerned about that part. We have years before the opportunity needs to show up, right?? 😕

Edited by jreid

12 minutes ago, jreid said:

How are you searching? 

I have had some trouble with the Workforce connector tool. I have searched for primary care with scores 20-25 and gotten 0 results for my state- then when I searched with NO parameters, I found places with scores of 20 and 21!

These are my results when I search Kentucky with primary care set to 19-25.

image.thumb.png.e3eb8d3740fb4f0aa476855ce3274064.png

You are searching in the wrong place. You are looking at the Workforce Connector which is where sites can post permeant job openings for someone looking for a job after they finish their commitment, it is not for scholar placement. If I am correct, you have to look at the HPSA areas. There is quick link that states: Find HPSA, then find shortage area and you can a=narrow your search from there.

2 minutes ago, MZHolden said:

You are searching in the wrong place. You are looking at the Workforce Connector which is where sites can post permeant job openings for someone looking for a job after they finish their commitment, it is not for scholar placement. If I am correct, you have to look at the HPSA areas. There is quick link that states: Find HPSA, then find shortage area and you can a=narrow your search from there.

I was just looking for somewhere that would show me the scores, and I think it accomplishes that. But thanks for the input- The HPSA tool gives scores as well. 

So you are saying that the "opportunities" listed on the Workforce Connector are not applicable for those in their service years?

26 minutes ago, jreid said:

I was just looking for somewhere that would show me the scores, and I think it accomplishes that. But thanks for the input- The HPSA tool gives scores as well. 

So you are saying that the "opportunities" listed on the Workforce Connector are not applicable for those in their service years?

Yes, that information is directly from their website.

1 hour ago, MZHolden said:

Yes, that information is directly from their website.

“Scholars will be given information about the NHSC employment and site search process, which includes referral to the Health Workforce Connector website containing job vacancies for which scholars in each discipline and specialty can compete to fulfill their service obligation. Scholars may also wish to participate in HRSA Virtual Job Fairs.“ page 24 of guidelines. So I think we can use the workforce connector to find jobs to fulfill service requirements, just be sure to type in Physician Assistant in the job title box to see if any are available, at least available right now. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, lkschmidt97 said:

“Scholars will be given information about the NHSC employment and site search process, which includes referral to the Health Workforce Connector website containing job vacancies for which scholars in each discipline and specialty can compete to fulfill their service obligation. Scholars may also wish to participate in HRSA Virtual Job Fairs.“ page 24 of guidelines. So I think we can use the workforce connector to find jobs to fulfill service requirements, just be sure to type in Physician Assistant in the job title box to see if any are available, at least available right now. 

That makes sense- thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, lkschmidt97 said:

That's odd. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the last paragraph of this part of the site. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 6.42.26 PM.png