NHSC Scholarship 2020

On 8/21/2020 at 3:04 AM, prepa211 said:

Are you saying that those who haven’t received an email yet could receive one between now and the 24th if they’re finalists?

No I mean that someone in the other forum mentioned that some people get the second round of finalist notifications after the first round finalist deadline. Their deadline is the 24th which means the second round of finalists would not be notified until after that date. But this year they did not even do a second round of credit checks so I am not even sure their will be a second round of finalists:/

1 hour ago, PArules2019 said:

Those of you that are finalists, are you first year PA students or 2nd year?  Also, what is your specialty that you chose for the scholarship? 

Hi, I am a first year. On the EV form for "specialization" I wrote N/A... my logic is that PAs do not specialize in the progam of study like MDs and DOs. I think there are specialization programs you could pursue after, but it would be a whole separate thing. Now on any of the application documents it is clear that they only consider those who are committed to primary care. So any time you'd have to talk about future goals, it would be a primary care.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, jreid said:

I also had a credit check from Credco! My email from credit karma was about a housing loan, but I thought that was fishy and dug further. Turns out it was this! Also, the credit check showed up on Equifax.

From what I know there are 2 credit checks- but it is the only way to know if you are in the running.

Congrats all! (FYI- there is NO way to know if they are all on the same day or if some are later. Don't lose hope!)

I had the same situation! I was about to send a letter to dispute it, but I'm glad I didn't yet! It looks like "Credco" was run on Aug 10th but no "finalist" email. Who did the email come from for those who did receive one?

Edited by futurePAeryka

14 minutes ago, futurePAeryka said:

I had the same situation! I was about to send a letter to dispute it, but I'm glad I didn't yet! It looks like "Credco" was run on Aug 10th but no "finalist" email. Who did the email come from for those who did receive one?

It came from noreply@hrsa.gov

42 minutes ago, Jminugh said:

I just got a finalist notification! It says I have until 08/29 to get everything submitted. Of course I live in Galveston,TX where the hurricane is about to hit so I have no school officials to sign my form this week! Great timing. Hope others will get notifications soon!

Oh boy. Congratulations on your notification! Contact everyone you can about the ev form and tell them the deadline. Surely someone can get it for you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jreid said:

Oh boy. Congratulations on your notification! Contact everyone you can about the ev form and tell them the deadline. Surely someone can get it for you!

Thank you so much, I definitely am! I have probably emailed about 5 people now lol. Do you know if it needs to be a specific school official like the registrar or could the director sign it?

13 minutes ago, Jminugh said:

Thank you so much, I definitely am! I have probably emailed about 5 people now lol. Do you know if it needs to be a specific school official like the registrar or could the director sign it?

They do not specify, so I don't think they care too much! The person who signed mine is like director of administration, and she also signed the enrollment form that was part of the application.  

Just now, jreid said:

They do not specify, so I don't think they care too much! The person who signed mine is like director of administration, and she also signed the enrollment form that was part of the application.  

That's what I was thinking, I am going to have the director of administration sign mine too I believe. Do you know how likely it is that finalist usually get the award? From what I've seen, it seems like a high chance.

I called today to ask about the EVF form for summer and for fun asked about the odds of being awarded the scholarship, and she said that unless they run out of funds then the finalists recieve the award! I’m not sure how they prioritize this but she said as long as they still have funds when they get to your paper then you’re good 🙂 

So, the site is saying it will be down for maintenance tomorrow 8/29- 8 am to 5 pm. (I thought the 2nd round's forms were due 8/29?)
I imagine this means another round of finalists will be going out after the site maintenance?

I am obsessively checking for a counter signature. 😅

• Like 1

Has anyone else receive the FELS loan as well? My PA school started back in January so I accepted this loan (which has a 2 year service requirement in your state), knowing that I would need to return it if I was awarded NHSC and my financial aid office said that in the past they simply sent back the FELS money if someone was awarded both. I am just concerned about if the NHSC committee would see that I have this loan which has a service commitment and reject my contract (I am a 1st round finalist).

2 hours ago, jreid said:

So, the site is saying it will be down for maintenance tomorrow 8/29- 8 am to 5 pm. (I thought the 2nd round's forms were due 8/29?)
I imagine this means another round of finalists will be going out after the site maintenance?

I am obsessively checking for a counter signature. 😅

I saw that too! I am a second round finalist and our deadline stated  "by 08/29" so I figured that meant that we should be turning it in 08/28 at the latest. I also thought it was weird that it said 8-5 pm because before it was only 2 hours for maintenance. This kind of leads me to believe they are doing countersignatures instead since it will be down all day?

4 hours ago, Jminugh said:

I saw that too! I am a second round finalist and our deadline stated  "by 08/29" so I figured that meant that we should be turning it in 08/28 at the latest. I also thought it was weird that it said 8-5 pm because before it was only 2 hours for maintenance. This kind of leads me to believe they are doing countersignatures instead since it will be down all day?

Interesting thought!! Maybe so? 
I hope you have all your stuff. It took me awhile to get the EV form and I was super stressed about it. Have a day taken away from site maintenance is just sort of ugly of them- but maybe you're right about countersignatures. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klillie said:

What do people think about the new HRSA score of 20? I looked and there's no sites that meets that requirement in my whole state (Utah). It wouldn't be a huge deal to relocate, but it's tricky since I have a husband and child to consider too. I know we still got 2 years to see how it goes if we get the award! I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts are about it. 

Does that mean that there’s a minimum store of 20 or that the score has to be exactly 20? (Sorry if that’s a dumb question 🙃) I am also married so that would be important for me to research as well, thanks for the heads up! 

1 hour ago, Klillie said:

What do people think about the new HRSA score of 20? I looked and there's no sites that meets that requirement in my whole state (Utah). It wouldn't be a huge deal to relocate, but it's tricky since I have a husband and child to consider too. I know we still got 2 years to see how it goes if we get the award! I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts are about it. 

Yeah, I'm from a rural area with several clinics on the list, but the one I wanted to work at is 16. None of the clinics in my area are 20+, only under. So my family will be moving... oh well.