NHSC Scholarship 2020

On 4/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, futurePA56 said:

Hey everyone,

I didn’t see a discussion started for the NHSC scholarship 2020 so I decided to start one. The deadline was extended to May 15, 2020. I just submitted my application today! Good luck everyone!

hey! trying to figure out at what point does one appy? before starting PA school or once already in? 

Did everyone get email confirmation after submitting their application? I submitted last week and never got any confirmation. I also got an email today saying “one more week to submit your application” when I log into my account, it says submitted, but wondering if I should have gotten some kind of confirmation 

On 5/5/2020 at 4:21 PM, WannabePA911 said:

How many finalists does the scholarship provide? 

From the DHHS website: 

National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program ($47.1 million) provides 222 new awards and 7 continuation awards to students pursuing primary care training leading to a degree in medicine, dentistry, or a degree as a nurse-midwife, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner in exchange for providing primary health care services in areas of greatest need.

Here’s the link https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2018/10/18/hhs-awards-293-million-expand-primary-health-care-workforce.html

On 5/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, PAdude27 said:

Did everyone get email confirmation after submitting their application? I submitted last week and never got any confirmation. I also got an email today saying “one more week to submit your application” when I log into my account, it says submitted, but wondering if I should have gotten some kind of confirmation 

I don't remember receiving any sort of e-mail confirmation after submitting my application.  Now that the application deadline has passed, I see my status has been updated to "Under Review."  Best of luck to everyone who applied!

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, multiculturalmarylander said:

Do they review scholarship applications on a rolling basis or do they review them as soon as they are submitted?

Per one of the online NHSC Q&A sessions I attended, they don't begin reviewing applications until the submission deadline passes.  The deadline was yesterday, and I see that my status has now been changed from "Submitted" to "Under Review."  Good luck!

• Like 2

Does anyone know if their is a certain amount of spots allocated for PAs, MDs, dental, etc. or is it just as many of each as they want to select? Side note, my status also changed to "under review", I am assuming ours will all stay that way unless we become a finalist.

Also- who else is super nervous/anxious?!

Edited by Jminugh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jminugh said:

Does anyone know if their is a certain amount of spots allocated for PAs, MDs, dental, etc. or is it just as many of each as they want to select? Side note, my status also changed to "under review", I am assuming ours will all stay that way unless we become a finalist.

Also- who else is super nervous/anxious?!

I don't think they allocate a specific number of awards per discipline.  There's a NHSC presentation here that shows the number of awards by discipline for 2013-2015, and each year the number/percent of awards given to those in each discipline appears to vary. 

Based on my math, for 2014 and 2015 about 9-10% of applicants were awarded the scholarship; for NP/PA applicants specifically, this number drops to only about 2-3% 😅 It looks like the bulk of awards went to MD and Dental applicants.  Not sure how different the numbers might be nowadays.

And I'm not too nervous... What's done is done, nothing we can do now other than be patient.  I'm just trying to enjoy these last few months before the madness that is PA school begins 😆

advisory-council-meeting-March-2016-nhsc-award-process-and-data-analysis.pdf

Edited by dukkulisur
Link not working.
  • Like 1

@dukkulisur Thank you so much! This was actually super helpful because I could not figure out how much of an actual percentage of PA's actually got selected! Wow that is quite low, I have heard they tend to favor MD's so that makes sense. I couldn't agree more, we got in to PA school which is the hardest obstacle yet!

On 4/29/2020 at 2:09 PM, futurePA56 said:

I think if they check your credit, we’ll hear back if we are a finalist in August.

How are you guys going to see if they check your credit? I think I read on an old forum about the Credit Karma app... but I am not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading past forums and had a bit of a panic attack because I realized I had forgotten to put my name, social security number, and disciplinary on each of my additional documents and essays. Does anyone know if that automatically disqualifies me from the scholarship? 😰

@Shuka I can't imagine a minor detail like that would completely disqualify someone (especially if the application package overall is a good one), but who knows, it's the federal government 🤷‍♂️ In one of the Student Doctor Network forums for last year's application period, several users reported conflicting information from NHSC reps regarding this very issue, so who knows.  Too late to change anything now, so just hope for the best...

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Shuka said:

I was reading past forums and had a bit of a panic attack because I realized I had forgotten to put my name, social security number, and disciplinary on each of my additional documents and essays. Does anyone know if that automatically disqualifies me from the scholarship? 😰

Was that a requirement??? I did not put my social on my essays. I only put my social in the box that was specifically for that.

3 hours ago, Hamxo97 said:

Was that a requirement??? I did not put my social on my essays. I only put my social in the box that was specifically for that.

Yes, it's mentioned on page 41 of the application guide:

"Applicants must upload all supporting documents at the time of the online application submission. Each document submitted must include the applicant’s first name, last name, discipline, and last four digits of their social security number."