COVID-19 and Clinical Rotations

Hello all,

I am curious as to what your programs are planning for clinical rotations amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. I am currently a PA-S2 in the middle of clinical year. Our program just announced yesterday that they are planning us being on “virtual” online rotations through the summer for the next 3 months. We will be taking EOR exams throughout this period. 

Anyways, I am just trying to gain a sense of what other programs are doing as well. Are some programs just suspending operations at this time, with the idea that you may have to push back graduation, or are you doing online activities to get you through in order to graduate on time?

I’m worried that this is going to put us at a disadvantage when it comes to finding work. I, for one, have not had a surgery rotation yet and am terrified of the idea of graduating without ever having set foot in an OR. It is a terrifying reality that we are living in now, and I’m just hoping for some clarity as to what other programs are currently doing. 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm also a PA-S2, and our program has put us on one month of virtual didactics (1 week per 4 week rotation that remains) and then giving us a mandatory virtual elective for 4 weeks total. We have 4 rotations left in our cycle, and so this means that 1) one rotation is a virtual elective 2) We have didactic + 3 week rotations for the remaining rotations.