Best EM book for new graduate

Looking for any ideas of the best EM book for a new graduate? Im most nervous about being solo in the fast track in 3 months. I heard titenelli's is good but wasn't sure how much that would help me with fast track fractures, eye complaints etc.

Thanks for any input

Looking for any ideas of the best EM book for a new graduate? Im most nervous about being solo in the fast track in 3 months. I heard titenelli's is good but wasn't sure how much that would help me with fast track fractures, eye complaints etc.

Thanks for any input

Thanks for any input

I actually asked this question in a post on 6/1/11 ("EM Reference Books"), and several good folks provided excellent information on the topic.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain how to link to it, but you can find it by looking at my forum posts. I'm a recent grad as well, but did my capstone in EM and would like to work in EM. While everyone has their own preferences (particularly those with a lot more experience than me), I'm happy to add my $0.02.

I carried Pocket Emergency Medicine (Zane and Kosowsky) with me every day, and loved it. I also have Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine, Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures (Buttaravoli), and Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine (Custalow et al), and found them to be great resources.

The PA I worked with kept Baby Tint in his desk, which was great for quick and easy access.

I actually asked this question in a post on 6/1/11 ("EM Reference Books"), and several good folks provided excellent information on the topic.

Unfortunately, I'm not certain how to link to it, but you can find it by looking at my forum posts. I'm a recent grad as well, but did my capstone in EM and would like to work in EM. While everyone has their own preferences (particularly those with a lot more experience than me), I'm happy to add my $0.02.

I carried Pocket Emergency Medicine (Zane and Kosowsky) with me every day, and loved it. I also have Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine, Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures (Buttaravoli), and Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine (Custalow et al), and found them to be great resources.

The PA I worked with kept Baby Tint in his desk, which was great for quick and easy access.

I'm an ED tech, so maybe this is easy for me to say from the outside looking in, but why don't you talk to your attending doc. They have been there before, in residency, and know that you're "green" so to speak. If you have questions, you should be able to ask questions and seek advice from them. After all, that's what they are there for. I work in a fairly low critical care environment, however, I feel like most of the doctors encourage and help the EMPA's in our department. A book can help a lot, but experience does wonders.

I'm an ED tech, so maybe this is easy for me to say from the outside looking in, but why don't you talk to your attending doc. They have been there before, in residency, and know that you're "green" so to speak. If you have questions, you should be able to ask questions and seek advice from them. After all, that's what they are there for. I work in a fairly low critical care environment, however, I feel like most of the doctors encourage and help the EMPA's in our department. A book can help a lot, but experience does wonders.

The reason why the OP wants good reference material (I surmise) is if you want to know what suture to use in a high tension area, or what kind of fracture needs a sugar-tong, or what # blade you use to I& D that big ol fat MRSA abscess, then you just look it up. You are using the resources that are available and should be first line when you need to know something. Being self sufficient as much as you can is a good trait.

So is knowing when you are in over your head and need to call in the big guns, (SP). Knowing when to use each is called wisdom.

Possessing both of these qualities will keep you off the helpless rookie AND cowboy list.

The reason why the OP wants good reference material (I surmise) is if you want to know what suture to use in a high tension area, or what kind of fracture needs a sugar-tong, or what # blade you use to I& D that big ol fat MRSA abscess, then you just look it up. You are using the resources that are available and should be first line when you need to know something. Being self sufficient as much as you can is a good trait.

So is knowing when you are in over your head and need to call in the big guns, (SP). Knowing when to use each is called wisdom.

Possessing both of these qualities will keep you off the helpless rookie AND cowboy list.

T

yup, well said.

Emedpa

Past, present, and future cowboy

T

yup, well said.

Emedpa

T

yup, well said.

Emedpa

Agreed with above.

For many folks just starting out in emergency medicine confidence is low and anxiety high. I was told by an old ED doc that it takes five years to start to feel comfortable in the ED. That said, the temptation to seek advice from the "full levels" (doesn't that have a nice ring to it?) too often is high. You don't want to be "that guy". The docs may start to see you as a speed bump in their day instead of a valuable asset. Of course, when you need them, you need them. Cowboys get everyone in trouble, don't be that either. Judicious use of the MD asset.

To your question, for me, a book like "Splinters to Fractures" is essential. Right to the point. Great for fast track. I also like Bouncebacks (a great introduction to the medicolegal aspects) which can be a bit disturbing, but certainly causes you to pause a bit while considering DDx and the like. By my bedside right now is "Common Errors in Emergency Medicine". Great 2-4 page chapters on things that you do not want to do in the ED. Great read.

Oh, and I keep Rosens and Epocrates on my phone and use them every shift. Amazingly beneficial to a newbe like me.

Browndog

Agreed with above.

For many folks just starting out in emergency medicine confidence is low and anxiety high. I was told by an old ED doc that it takes five years to start to feel comfortable in the ED. That said, the temptation to seek advice from the "full levels" (doesn't that have a nice ring to it?) too often is high. You don't want to be "that guy". The docs may start to see you as a speed bump in their day instead of a valuable asset. Of course, when you need them, you need them. Cowboys get everyone in trouble, don't be that either. Judicious use of the MD asset.

To your question, for me, a book like "Splinters to Fractures" is essential. Right to the point. Great for fast track. I also like Bouncebacks (a great introduction to the medicolegal aspects) which can be a bit disturbing, but certainly causes you to pause a bit while considering DDx and the like. By my bedside right now is "Common Errors in Emergency Medicine". Great 2-4 page chapters on things that you do not want to do in the ED. Great read.

Oh, and I keep Rosens and Epocrates on my phone and use them every shift. Amazingly beneficial to a newbe like me.

Browndog

• 2 weeks later...

Archived