2020-2021 Application Cycle

On 8/17/2020 at 12:21 PM, byf8thpber said:

Just a heads up guys they have a cancelation list you can request to be put on to move your interview date up. Contact Gina @ ghirrilltorres@atsu.edu, she is very nice! 

Hi Everyone,

I was recently offered an interview and reached out to Gina to see if I could get on the cancelation list to move up my November interview date.  I received an email from the admissions director that said I could share so there is no confusion as to how the interview process is taking place this year. I hope this helps! 

It has come to my attention that once you schedule you can not see the rest of the list. That is different and I didn't realize that - so checking back often you won't see anything. Also, there isn't a wait list - as we wanted to try to be fair for everyone.
If there is a cancellation with a sooner date - we will go by a screening/review point system. Whoever is the highest and has an interview scheduled we will call and invite to move up to a sooner date.
We do have rolling admissions however we are aware of the application volume so there are applications we can make decisions on immediately and there are others that we are delaying decisions on due to 
waiting to see more people.  I know everyone including yourself is anxious to basically here one way or another - especially since most apply to multiple programs - but we are 
trying to do our best - again - trying to be fair to everyone in a very competitive process.
We are filled up with interview dates to December 7th.  We are going to interview into Jan. There will be people who are qualified and potentially great PA's who will not be offered an interview invite at all. Again - it is just competitive and every cycle is different. 

Edited by Jhargrove24
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jhargrove24 said:

Hi Everyone,

I was recently offered an interview and reached out to Gina to see if I could get on the cancelation list to move up my November interview date.  I received an email from the admissions director that said I could share so there is no confusion as to how the interview process is taking place this year. I hope this helps! 

It has come to my attention that once you schedule you can not see the rest of the list. That is different and I didn't realize that - so checking back often you won't see anything. Also, there isn't a wait list - as we wanted to try to be fair for everyone.
If there is a cancellation with a sooner date - we will go by a screening/review point system. Whoever is the highest and has an interview scheduled we will call and invite to move up to a sooner date.
We do have rolling admissions however we are aware of the application volume so there are applications we can make decisions on immediately and there are others that we are delaying decisions on due to 
waiting to see more people.  I know everyone including yourself is anxious to basically here one way or another - especially since most apply to multiple programs - but we are 
trying to do our best - again - trying to be fair to everyone in a very competitive process.
We are filled up with interview dates to December 7th.  We are going to interview into Jan. There will be people who are qualified and potentially great PA's who will not be offered an interview invite at all. Again - it is just competitive and every cycle is different. 

Haha whoops! 😬 I was just trying to be helpful and she must have gotten flooded with emails.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After being accepted to one of my top choices today, I thought it was only fair to rescind my previously accepted interview! Good luck everyone, I hope my spot is used to give someone else a chance to shine! 

1 hour ago, Lonmor7 said:

Could someone explain to me how the waitlist work. Like are there 2 steps to it? I noticed someone from last cycle had said they were put on the "accepting pending opening seat list" and that there is an alternate list as well. So is being on the alternate list kind of like being on the second wait list? 

Hi! I was put on the wait list last year for this school specifically. So, there are two wait lists. A) Wait List Pending Open Seat -- this means you are in the top wait list category and if a seat opens they will look at you first. B) Wait List - which is a large group of students that would have to wait for students in the Wait List Pending Open Seat category to be cleared out in order to even get a shot at an open seat. The Wait List Pending Open Seat does have an order if I'm not mistaken. For example, you could be number 3 in line. Whilst, the Wait List group are not in order. Just a bottle of people, like me, hoping a seat comes open. 🙂 If you get waitlisted--in either category, you usually won't hear anything until right before the new class starts (unless your chance doesn't come up of course). I have heard of people getting accepted from the waitlist about 3 weeks before classes start. Good luck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeyaD said:

Hi! I was put on the wait list last year for this school specifically. So, there are two wait lists. A) Wait List Pending Open Seat -- this means you are in the top wait list category and if a seat opens they will look at you first. B) Wait List - which is a large group of students that would have to wait for students in the Wait List Pending Open Seat category to be cleared out in order to even get a shot at an open seat. The Wait List Pending Open Seat does have an order if I'm not mistaken. For example, you could be number 3 in line. Whilst, the Wait List group are not in order. Just a bottle of people, like me, hoping a seat comes open. 🙂 If you get waitlisted--in either category, you usually won't hear anything until right before the new class starts (unless your chance doesn't come up of course). I have heard of people getting accepted from the waitlist about 3 weeks before classes start. Good luck!

Hey Deya!

Thanks for providing so much info! When did you interview last cycle and how soon after did you get feedback? 

Edited by mikejmorrison17
Grammar

6 hours ago, DeyaD said:

Thank you, that helped clarify! Also does that mean if you are on the waitlist you have to be bumped up to the Pending seat list to get in? And in all honesty, what are the chances of getting in off the alternate list. Sounds kinda slim.

Edited by Lonmor7

18 hours ago, mikejmorrison17 said:

Hey Deya!

Thanks for providing so much info! When did you interview last cycle and how soon after did you get feedback? 

Hi Mike!

For the 2019-2020 cycle, I applied pretty late. I think I submitted via CASPA in late September/early October 2019. I went on an interview December 12th, 2019 (if I'm not mistaken). I think there was only one more round of students after me and there was only one seat left at that point. I received an email about getting put on the Wait List about a week later. I just got an email around 06/2020 saying that the Wait List for those starting 07/2020 was closing. It's interesting that they kept it open so long. I think they wait until all students are set to start before they close both wait lists.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lonmor7 said:

Thank you, that helped clarify! Also does that mean if you are on the waitlist you have to be bumped up to the Pending seat list to get in? And in all honesty, what are the chances of getting in off the alternate list. Sounds kinda slim.

Yes, I truly think it does. I remember reaching out to AT Still when I was put on the Wait List. They did say that students on the 'Wait List - pending open seat' would have to either accept or deny in order for students on the Wait List to be looked at. I think it's slim but not impossible. Dealing of the cards, I guess. Who knows--they might have 2 students on their Pending List and those two decide to go to other schools. Then, Voila! 🙂 

23 hours ago, DeyaD said:

Yes, I truly think it does. I remember reaching out to AT Still when I was put on the Wait List. They did say that students on the 'Wait List - pending open seat' would have to either accept or deny in order for students on the Wait List to be looked at. I think it's slim but not impossible. Dealing of the cards, I guess. Who knows--they might have 2 students on their Pending List and those two decide to go to other schools. Then, Voila! 🙂 

I have a friend who was on the waitlist for last cycle and was accepted 2 weeks before class started! So there's definitely a chance haha.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:09 AM, RinaPrePA said:

I received an interview invite as well, scheduled for July 6th for the virtual interview, the schedule is the exact same as the one I had in person last year so hoping all goes smoothly!

Hello, I have a virtual interview coming up with ATSU. Could you share with me the set up of the interview and/or questions that you were unprepared to answer?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, marilyncgonz said:

Hello, I have a virtual interview coming up with ATSU. Could you share with me the set up of the interview and/or questions that you were unprepared to answer?

This will not be possible seeing as the interview format is MMI and the school has a disclosure form that you sign specifically stating you will not share any information in regards to the interview and or questions asked. If you want to prepare for MMI interview style search "MMI" on podcasts and there are some great medical ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi everyone! 

I am the Vice President of the C/o 2022! Hope y'all are hanging in there, I know that this process is TOUGH, the waiting game is absolutely awful! 

What I found helpful (and I see that many of you have done this already) was to go back to the previous cycles thread, get an idea of time frame and what not! 

PM me if you have specific questions I'll do my best to help you out!! I will preface that I do not know much about the interview format, the general structure is the same but I'm not too sure how things are going over zoom! 

I might be slow on answering you guys back we have finals this week 🙂

• Like 1