Breakdown of Degree Offered vs Degree Held

I am involved with the hiring at my shop. I take the whole picture into account. someone with 20 yrs of experience and a certificate will likely get a job over a new grad with an ms for example. I agree that the ms is becoming the standard but I think it is happening for the wrong reasons(competition with np's and desire of programs to charge graduate tuition). I know MANY excellent candidates for pa school with a certificate or a.s. who are medics, nurses, rt's, etc who can't apply for ms programs because they don't have a bs and have families, bills, loans, etc.

most of them end up doing terminal bs programs in another field. This is why I like the medex model of multiple entry points. anyone who wants can get a postgrad ms later but I don't think it serves workforce needs to require a bs to get into pa school. as someone who has been involved with pa education over many years I don't think our applicant pool is currently balanced. I think it favors young and typically inexperienced individuals over those with prior careers in health care who we should be trying to recruit. if we insist on accepting inexperienced applicants based on academics only we should require a residency for anything other than primary care.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just never heard (and don't think) that the HCE is significantly more for associates programs vs BS/masters

Lesh could probably answer this. my understanding is that his program and similar programs have folks typically with YEARS of experience vs the zero-2000 hrs seen for most ms programs where many students(as seen here on the PAF) are shooting to meet the min requirement to get in.

I just never heard (and don't think) that the HCE is significantly more for associates programs vs BS/masters

Lesh could probably answer this. my understanding is that his program and similar programs have folks typically with YEARS of experience vs the zero-2000 hrs seen for most ms programs where many students(as seen here on the PAF) are shooting to meet the min requirement to get in.

Archived