PA Petition. 100,000 signatures needed by May 04th, 2020.

Dear PAs,

Attached, you'll see a link that will take you to an online survey, where you can participate in a petition to "Grant PAs Full Practice Authority to function as Licensed Independent Practitioners in Federal jurisdictions." We need 84,493 signatures by May 4, 2020 to get a response from the White House. currently we have about 15,000 signatures.

Please complete and forward this link to your PA friends, colleagues, PA program and every PAs you know. Until this COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of us thought that being a PA equates to job security. However, if you're keeping yourself informed, you'll hear about certain hospital systems furloughing and even firing their APPs altogether when their census decrease.

Our colleague NPs are fighting for the advancement of their profession and they are being very successful. It is our duty to fight for the advancement of our profession and also our right to prove that we must to be part of the conversation.

Grant PAs Full Practice Authority to function as Licensed Independent Practitioners in Federal jurisdictions | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/grant-pas-full-practice-authority-function-licensed-independent-practitioners-federal-jurisdictions>
petitions.whitehouse.gov

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

I just did a linked in blast and texted all the PAs I have phone numbers for... Gotta get this one through. It would be huge! I also emailed CAPA and asked them why they aren't promoting this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I emailed my alma mater and will email my state association too. 

• Upvote 1

I haven’t check with AAPA, but didn’t see petition on their site and wonder why they aren’t sending it out. It is true, at least some state associations are not aware or passing info along. I called my current state and they had no idea, but agreed to “look into it” and consider forwarding to PA’s with license. In the meantime, few more non-PA’s said they signed. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hope2PA said:

I haven’t check with AAPA, but didn’t see petition on their site and wonder why they aren’t sending it out. It is true, at least some state associations are not aware or passing info along. I called my current state and they had no idea, but agreed to “look into it” and consider forwarding to PA’s with license. In the meantime, few more non-PA’s said they signed. 

I reached out to my state society today. "Thank you for sharing." Really hoping that means more than I think it does.

1 hour ago, kang1208 said:

I think we shouldn't put all the eggs in one basket...sure it's great if we can get all the signatures and we need to, but at this rate I'm not so sure. We need to think about plans B and C right now in case if this petition didn't reach the white house.   

Coming  together as a group for this goal could be almost as important. The more PA’s, and non PA’s , talk about and take the time to stand behind the profession bodes well for the future. It doesn’t look promising at this time, however, how much top down (national and state level) exposure has it been given this far. Higher number of signatures  show stronger unity, which is apparently a problem within the PA profession. How many PA’s have donated at least the $1? Even if furloughed, won’t break the bank. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, SedRate said:

I have been absent from the forums due to ...well...life so I haven't been following things as closely as I usually do. 

Here is my observation and it is just one man's opinion. PAFT started a petition. Another group, thinking they could do the same thing better, started another similar petition. People started asking why 2 petitions? Why wasn't this group supporting that group? Why why why? Then some states started petitons for the White House. Then there was a PPE petition to the White House. Then petitions to state legislators and Governors.

People are confused and burned out on petitions. Getting 100k signatures in 30 days is a tall mountain to climb and when different groups started getting into other groups lane of traffic it all crapped out.

If you are receiving these petitions (ie the White House or a legislator) they would seem scattered and unfocused so they go in the "meh" pile.

Significant efforts to do big things require focus and concentration and energy. We haven't had much of that. There are too many people and groups worried about making a name for themselves or who is in charge. The result is very little getting done.

Now most of the momentum is gone. The opportunities that existed 3 weeks ago have pretty much been dithered away. It is time for everyone and every group to get back in their lane of traffic and focus on their issues with an eye towards collaboration where it may be helpful.

• Like 2

I have been absent from the forums due to ...well...life so I haven't been following things as closely as I usually do. 
Here is my observation and it is just one man's opinion. PAFT started a petition. Another group, thinking they could do the same thing better, started another similar petition. People started asking why 2 petitions? Why wasn't this group supporting that group? Why why why? Then some states started petitons for the White House. Then there was a PPE petition to the White House. Then petitions to state legislators and Governors.
People are confused and burned out on petitions. Getting 100k signatures in 30 days is a tall mountain to climb and when different groups started getting into other groups lane of traffic it all crapped out.
If you are receiving these petitions (ie the White House or a legislator) they would seem scattered and unfocused so they go in the "meh" pile.
Significant efforts to do big things require focus and concentration and energy. We haven't had much of that. There are too many people and groups worried about making a name for themselves or who is in charge. The result is very little getting done.
Now most of the momentum is gone. The opportunities that existed 3 weeks ago have pretty much been dithered away. It is time for everyone and every group to get back in their lane of traffic and focus on their issues with an eye towards collaboration where it may be helpful.
Thanks for explaining that. That makes sense. I can see the panic in a lot of PAs during this time and can see why various groups would start petitions. I for one was inundated with petitions and did think it was rather chaotic... I agree with you that we need to be united in our endeavors that was why I asked why our PA groups (AAPA, PAFT, States etc) were not the ones pushing this.
Now, having said that, do you see a united petition some time down the road? Is there consensus in the leadership regarding FPA?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Thank you for explaining and welcome back 😊 

I am assuming then, that the general consensus is not necessarily supportive of FPA. I can see both sides of the coin, for and against. Earlier on, I was against. I liked having the safety blanket of a doc and thought that made me a more desirable candidate to docs over an independent practitioner. But after switching jobs and realizing that I was just chump change, I don't want to be tied to anyone anymore. I don't want the REAL powers that be -- the C suite and admin -- to be able to dictate that I am less able to provide or less important to patient care because I am an "assistant" who requires "supervision." And don't even get me started on all the physicians and NPs who claim to not know the abilities of PAs and continue to treat us as scribes and gophers who they seat at the little kid table. 

I do hope the powers that be in the PA world start to pedal a little faster, especially those who may now have more time of their hands, on developing and collecting a unified response. NPs have over double the number of practicing providers than we do and continue to gain steam. As the structure of healthcare begins to change with all that's going on, I can only imagine how this will affect the PA profession given our dependent status and assistant name.