New Grad PA Hospitalist. Tips?

Hey folks,

New grad PA here going into hospitalist medicine in Puget Sound area in WA. Would appreciate any tips you veteran PA's have picked up along the way to set me up for success.

Hospital details: level 3 trauma, 350 beds, STEMI and stroke center, has all the specialties, open ICU, no procedures, lots of support staff, fairly high acuity.
Group details: 16 physicians, 6 APPs. Would take nights about 14x/year. Great group that emphasizes teamwork and collegiate environment.
Me details: graduate of a PA program in primary and internal medicine. Decent exposure to inpatient internal and hospitalist medicine and fairly familiar with hospitalist duties, but apprehensive of the demands.

Any pearls whether about being a new grad, starting in hospitalist medicine, or WA medicine in general would all be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, since no takers... this is not at all comprehensive

- if it's a teaching hospital get a copy of there Resident Handbook and read it, attend Grand Rounds if you can (not high yield stuff usually but will get you thinking - most of the big teaching hospitals might have a summer series for interns that is high yield)

- fluid status learn it early, important for heart, kidney, lungs everything, not just heart failure, bonus if you can get some ultrasound/POCUS training

- anticoagulation, when to use what

- opioids and pain med adjuncts (sadly, more and more what Hospital Medicine is becoming)

- try and schedule weekly, bi-weekly whatever talks with Hospitalists and pick a topic to go over, present to them and let them fill in the blanks, give you real world cases

- ask to be critiqued hard, it will make you better, especially on the H&P/exam and presenting a case

- Stanford antibiotic guide https://errolozdalga.com/medicine/pages/OtherPages/AntibioticReview.ChanuRhee.html

Again, just me rattling off my day to day, I do mostly Stepdown now and this goes for that too.

Cheers!

• Like 1