UNE distance learning - Organic Chem 1

Hi,

I plan on taking the ochem at UNE starting in Aug. You said you loved it... does that mean it wasnt as bad as you thought? i can tell you, i am scared to DEATH of that class.. Any tips to give me would help! thanks in advance!!

Nope, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It's much different than Gen Chem. It's very visual and spatial. Follow the lectures and do the homework, one problem at a time. Maintain good study habits, like marking pages and important material, circling problems with which you're having difficulty, and emailing the instructor when things get tough. Set aside a good block of uninterrupted study time each day and take it one day at a time. You'll do fine. :)

Hi,

I plan on taking the ochem at UNE starting in Aug. You said you loved it... does that mean it wasnt as bad as you thought? i can tell you, i am scared to DEATH of that class.. Any tips to give me would help! thanks in advance!!

Nope, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It's much different than Gen Chem. It's very visual and spatial. Follow the lectures and do the homework, one problem at a time. Maintain good study habits, like marking pages and important material, circling problems with which you're having difficulty, and emailing the instructor when things get tough. Set aside a good block of uninterrupted study time each day and take it one day at a time. You'll do fine. :)

I just started this class, and I'm relieved to hear that the exam is curved--60% is a daunting figure for one exam. I picked up another book to supplement the textbooks, and I can't say enough good things about it. It's Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: First Semester Topics, by David Klein.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339542602&sr=8-1

It is a wonderful adjunct to the main text, and all the main concepts are clearly explained. I highly recommend it.

I just started this class, and I'm relieved to hear that the exam is curved--60% is a daunting figure for one exam. I picked up another book to supplement the textbooks, and I can't say enough good things about it. It's Organic Chemistry I as a Second Language: First Semester Topics, by David Klein.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-As-Second-Language/dp/111801040X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339542602&sr=8-1

It is a wonderful adjunct to the main text, and all the main concepts are clearly explained. I highly recommend it.

• 5 years later...

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post about my experience with the UNE ochem courses but I will do it anyway. I am a pre-med student and I needed to take the organic chemistry 1 and 2. Since no one properly explained their experience with the online UNE course therefore, I decided that I should share mine. I took the UNE OCHEM 1020 class and received an A. There are about 14 chapter quizzes each worth 10 points (unlimited time to complete). The midterm has 50 questions. And, the final has 80 questions. The quizzes are worth 25% of your grade. The midterm is worth 35% and the final is worth 40% of your grade. The key is instead of memorizing the entire material make sure you know the key concepts. The questions are really short. I have many notes and materials and since I am not going to be using them again I would like to help others who are struggling. My email is ellagomezip@gmail.com

Took both O-Chem 1 and 2 through UNE with a B- and A- respectively. 

I still remember more from those courses than most others taken in the traditional brick and mortar setting. You must be motivated and disciplined. If I would’ve taken more courses this way maybe my GPA would be higher. 

Archived