UNE distance learning - Organic Chem 1

• Administrator

Took it. OChem is the LAST class I would recommend anyone take online, but UNE had a good, responsive professor and meaningful assignments.

The final is open book--you can essentially bring anything non-electronic you want into a proctored room, and you have three hours to figure it out. It's also curved, so you'll probably end up doing better than you think you did.

• Administrator

Took it. OChem is the LAST class I would recommend anyone take online, but UNE had a good, responsive professor and meaningful assignments.

The final is open book--you can essentially bring anything non-electronic you want into a proctored room, and you have three hours to figure it out. It's also curved, so you'll probably end up doing better than you think you did.

• Administrator

I Took Chem II not organic online through UNE...tough class to do by yourself! Yes the professor responded quickly to questions etc and was extremely helpful. But there is something to be said about being in the classroom with your peers and to have that live interaction with your professor to answer questions. Doing chem labs at home in my kitchen was weird too...wished I had a lab partner like the traditional classroom. 60% of your grade for the final is huge and not curved! Taking the exam through proctor u means the professor does not see your work for calculations in order to curve the exam like traditional courses. Best of Luck!

I Took Chem II not organic online through UNE...tough class to do by yourself! Yes the professor responded quickly to questions etc and was extremely helpful. But there is something to be said about being in the classroom with your peers and to have that live interaction with your professor to answer questions. Doing chem labs at home in my kitchen was weird too...wished I had a lab partner like the traditional classroom. 60% of your grade for the final is huge and not curved! Taking the exam through proctor u means the professor does not see your work for calculations in order to curve the exam like traditional courses. Best of Luck!

Took it as well. I will give you a couple pieces of advice. Do not watch a single lecture. Dr. Manyan basically taped himself reading the textbook... talk about boring. Put your time into studying and problems because it's not going to be a cake walk, that's forsure. This online course expects as much time as you would spend in a traditional class and more, because you are learning it on your own. Take the lab portion too.. it will definitely boost your grade.

It was difficult for me. Never had a C in my career (3.8 cgpa) through almost 200 credits. I almost broke that streak with this class (got a B). I owe it to the labs that kept my grade in check and, as rev said, the curved final. I think it was as big of a curve as Roy Halladays hammer. If you get through that course, and have some free time and extra cash.. take the Orgo II at UNE.. it was much easier, and more biochem.

Took it as well. I will give you a couple pieces of advice. Do not watch a single lecture. Dr. Manyan basically taped himself reading the textbook... talk about boring. Put your time into studying and problems because it's not going to be a cake walk, that's forsure. This online course expects as much time as you would spend in a traditional class and more, because you are learning it on your own. Take the lab portion too.. it will definitely boost your grade.

It was difficult for me. Never had a C in my career (3.8 cgpa) through almost 200 credits. I almost broke that streak with this class (got a B). I owe it to the labs that kept my grade in check and, as rev said, the curved final. I think it was as big of a curve as Roy Halladays hammer. If you get through that course, and have some free time and extra cash.. take the Orgo II at UNE.. it was much easier, and more biochem.

I'm currently taking OChem 1 through UNE and I love it! The book is easy to understand and the professor is friendly. I'm keeping a highlighter and sticky notes handy as I read the text and do the problems. Very straightforward and I feel I have a full understanding of the material so far. (I'm about 2/5 of the way through.)

I'm currently taking OChem 1 through UNE and I love it! The book is easy to understand and the professor is friendly. I'm keeping a highlighter and sticky notes handy as I read the text and do the problems. Very straightforward and I feel I have a full understanding of the material so far. (I'm about 2/5 of the way through.)

I took Gen Chem I and II and Biochem at UNE. Online was the only option for me because I live in England and I am away from home a lot. These are NOT easy classes. I compared what I was doing with a friend of mine who was taking the same class at University of Maryland (in class). He basically told me that most of his class would have failed the final we had to take without a curve.

You have to be able to learn this stuff on you own. You get the book and that's pretty much it. The professors are good at responding to questions, but you are not getting that interaction that most folks are getting in a classroom.

I'm not trying to scare folks, but do not go into these classes thinking that online is somehow the easy way to go. You have to be self motivated. Many people do great in these classes.

I took Gen Chem I and II and Biochem at UNE. Online was the only option for me because I live in England and I am away from home a lot. These are NOT easy classes. I compared what I was doing with a friend of mine who was taking the same class at University of Maryland (in class). He basically told me that most of his class would have failed the final we had to take without a curve.

You have to be able to learn this stuff on you own. You get the book and that's pretty much it. The professors are good at responding to questions, but you are not getting that interaction that most folks are getting in a classroom.

I'm not trying to scare folks, but do not go into these classes thinking that online is somehow the easy way to go. You have to be self motivated. Many people do great in these classes.

Hi,

I plan on taking the ochem at UNE starting in Aug. You said you loved it... does that mean it wasnt as bad as you thought? i can tell you, i am scared to DEATH of that class.. Any tips to give me would help! thanks in advance!!

Nope, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. It's much different than Gen Chem. It's very visual and spatial. Follow the lectures and do the homework, one problem at a time. Maintain good study habits, like marking pages and important material, circling problems with which you're having difficulty, and emailing the instructor when things get tough. Set aside a good block of uninterrupted study time each day and take it one day at a time. You'll do fine. :)

Archived