2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

Guest ahearrell
5 minutes ago, SparkleDuck87 said:

Hi guys! I submitted my application on 08/30, verified/under review 08/31 and got an interview invite about 20 minutes ago. Hope you guys get an invite soon 🙂

Awesome! I, too, just received an interview invite. Best of luck.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:50 AM, NotVeryHopefull said:

Well Everyone, it’s official I didn’t make it. No rejection letter yet, but, despite my best effort,  I couldn’t finish my Biochem (UNE) in time.  
I just finished last night but the transcripts won’t make it by tomorrow. I Knew I needed a few Extra days to study for the final, so it put me out of the window. At least I finished with a 93 (missed that hard A by 0.4 points) in 7.5 weeks.
Good luck out there everyone. 

Don't feel bad, your not alone. I couldn't finish my orgo chem in time, but I still received a rejection email today and no interview request. It's a bummer, but I have decided Im not giving up just yet. Plenty of great schools out there. 

5 hours ago, PA95050 said:

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted or how many have joined the Facebook page?

There are currently 57 in the Facebook group, however, there could be a couple more/less already accepted. I believe someone stated earlier there are a couple instructors or students from earlier cohorts in the Fb group as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ryangrant4242 said:

Hey Everyone. I am interviewing Monday the 12th for the academic and personal interview. Wondering if anybody could give me any tips, not necessarily the questions they asked. Also, how long did it take after the interview to find out if you were accepted or denied? If anybody can please comment or pm me. I really hope I can be a part of the 2023 cohort! 

Ryan G

Congrats Ryan!!! I’ve never had an interview so I’m no help. Maybe some YouTube videos ?! When did you submit your application?

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 8:31 PM, ryangrant4242 said:

Hey Everyone. I am interviewing Monday the 12th for the academic and personal interview. Wondering if anybody could give me any tips, not necessarily the questions they asked. Also, how long did it take after the interview to find out if you were accepted or denied? If anybody can please comment or pm me. I really hope I can be a part of the 2023 cohort! 

Ryan G

Hello, Ryan! I think from interview to acceptance was ~17 days (8/11-8/28). 

And I would just practice being comfortable talking about yourself 🙂 I don't like talking about myself so I had to really prep!

• Like 1

Hi everyone.  I'm glad I found this thread.  I interviewed in July and have been on the waitlist since.  I finished my Biochem class (UNE) in early September and still hopeful for a phone call!  I see some people have been taken off the waitlist, but I'm wondering if anyone has been accepted?? 

Good luck to everyone (accepted, waitlisted or rejected)

5 minutes ago, Src23 said:

How do you think it went? I hope it went well! Mine is tomorrow and I'm freaking out. Any last minute advice or tips? 

I feel kind of neutral on how it went. I don't think it was particularly bad but I'm not super confident with it either. Time will tell. Just try to relax and take a moment to compose your answer.

• Like 1

Guest ahearrell
2 hours ago, BBolanger said:

How are interviews going for everyone this week?.. I had mine yesterday. 

I just had mine - I feel veryyyy neutral as well. Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

Congrats to those who got accepted. I’ve been on the waitlist since June (I think I was one of the first groups to get interviewed), and so far I haven’t been pushed off the waitlist (fingers crossed). I’m just curious to see if anyone got accepted off the waitlist? I got accepted to another program that begins in January, but I’m still trying to hold onto some hope lol (maybe...).

29 minutes ago, itseatingmealive said:

Hello Everyone,

Congrats to those who got accepted. I’ve been on the waitlist since June (I think I was one of the first groups to get interviewed), and so far I haven’t been pushed off the waitlist (fingers crossed). I’m just curious to see if anyone got accepted off the waitlist? I got accepted to another program that begins in January, but I’m still trying to hold onto some hope lol (maybe...).

Congrats on the acceptance! I say go where you get accepted! Weigh out pros and cons of both schools, look at cost, time, rotations, areas you may want to specialize in, how your interviews went (personality of professors, etc) and how you think you’ll fit into the program of each. That’s awesome you’ve already gotten accepted; is there a deadline you’ve got to let them know by? Good luck making your decision!

• Like 1

Guest ahearrell
1 hour ago, Src23 said:

I'm in the same boat. I feel it went well, but not anything exceptional either. Did your interview go over 30 minutes? Mine was a bit under. Not sure if that's a good thing. 🙄

Same… It was about 20 to 25 minutes.

2 hours ago, Src23 said:

I'm in the same boat. I feel it went well, but not anything exceptional either. Did your interview go over 30 minutes? Mine was a bit under. Not sure if that's a good thing. 🙄

My personal interview was right at 30 minutes but my academic one was like 10-12 minutes. Hopefully we all hear good news in the coming weeks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BBolanger said:

My personal interview was right at 30 minutes but my academic one was like 10-12 minutes. Hopefully we all hear good news in the coming weeks. 

That's a relief to hear. I was thinking along those lines, the academic interview will probably be more succinct than the personal - which I have yet to do. I hope all goes well and we all receive good news soon! Yale is my number one choice, and I'm honestly so happy and honored they extended an interview alone. Looking forward to the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the acceptance! I say go where you get accepted! Weigh out pros and cons of both schools, look at cost, time, rotations, areas you may want to specialize in, how your interviews went (personality of professors, etc) and how you think you’ll fit into the program of each. That’s awesome you’ve already gotten accepted; is there a deadline you’ve got to let them know by? Good luck making your decision!

Thank you! I already put the deposit down since it’s not like Yale will take me off the waitlist anytime soon haha

It’s been said some people get accepted off the waitlist the very last week of December, but there were also people who were taken off the waitlist in August last cycle so I’m wondering if anything is going to happen to the waitlist this cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 11:26 AM, Src23 said:

My academic interview was about 35 minutes. The personal one was exactly 30.

Did either of the interviewers say something like, "We hope to see you in January!" ? If so, I believe that may be a good sign.

Edited by ryangrant4242
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, itseatingmealive said:

Thank you! I already put the deposit down since it’s not like Yale will take me off the waitlist anytime soon haha

It’s been said some people get accepted off the waitlist the very last week of December, but there were also people who were taken off the waitlist in August last cycle so I’m wondering if anything is going to happen to the waitlist this cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on getting an acceptance. I'm sorry that you have been on this waitlist so long. No matter where you go I am sure you will be a great physician assistant. 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ryangrant4242 said:

My academic interview was with Mr. Rhee, and was about 35 minutes. The personal one was with a professor, and was exactly 30.

Did either of the interviewers say something like, "We hope to see you in January!" ? If so, I believe that may be a good sign.

That's awesome! It sounds like your interviews went really well. Hopefully we all hear good news soon 🙂

Hi, my name is Jessica, I am new here to the forum. I am from central Florida looking into PA schools and Yale Online peeked my attention. Though the University of Florida is the closest school to me, online through Yale might benefit me much better. Is there anyone currently in this program or has completed this program that could possibly answer a few questions?

1) On the school website I noticed where the school is accredited under " Accredited- Provisional" status. Going forward what does this mean for graduating students?

2)I am a mother of 3, regarding coursework, how is the workload considered?

3) Immersions: What advice could you give going into these week long sessions?

4) Are all students interviewed? What to expect during this interview process?

5) Clinicals: Setting up clinical sites, did it go smoothly?

And, any other tips, advice, regrets, disappointments, or problems you ran into while applying for the program, starting the program, or graduating the program!

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jmuder said:

Hi, my name is Jessica, I am new here to the forum. I am from central Florida looking into PA schools and Yale Online peeked my attention. Though the University of Florida is the closest school to me, online through Yale might benefit me much better. Is there anyone currently in this program or has completed this program that could possibly answer a few questions?

Hi Jessica, I'm a current student nearing the end of my first year and am happy to help how I can.

1) On the school website I noticed where the school is accredited under " Accredited- Provisional" status. Going forward what does this mean for graduating students?

Accredited-Provisional is the accreditation status that every new program goes through enroute to being fully accredited. We had a planned follow up site visit with the ARC-PA (the body that accredits PA schools) earlier this year and everything is on track for our full accreditation (this is not proprietary knowledge - you can go to the ARC-PA website and look up the status of any school in the US that is accredited by them). It can take several years from the founding a program to gain Continuing Accreditation (5-ish). We are in year three now. If, as a student, you start a program that is provisional, you can take the boards, get licensed, and practice. Many people get confused between provisional and probational but they are very different things. Probation is if a school has NOT met the standards required to continue producing PAs to the standard of the ARC-PA.

2)I am a mother of 3, regarding coursework, how is the workload considered

Not totally sure what you mean by how is the workload considered, however, I will say that it is a lot. PA school is, generally, a lot. Obviously, I've never attended an on-campus program, but I imagine our workload is not much different. With that said, people in our programs are married, have kids (many with two or three like you) and they are managing. It's been especially challenging with COVID and people being home with their kids but everyone is hanging in there. PA school is probably one of the most difficult and demanding things you will ever do, but it is entirely manageable. I almost never spend more than 40-50 hours a week on schoolwork but I am very efficient and decided when I started school that my partner, being active, and having a life outside of school were of the utmost importance, so I have prioritized accordingly.

3) Immersions: What advice could you give going into these week long sessions?

No specific advice - the immersions are designed to help you get to know your colleagues, do a full cadaver dissection, learn all of the physical exam skills, and at Immersion II, learn the procedures and sensitive exams you will be doing on clinical year. They're awesome!

4) Are all students interviewed? What to expect during this interview process?

No, only a very small portion of applicants are interviewed. Everyone who is accepted has been interviewed. The application process, to me, was extremely easy and in fact, nice. The admissions counselors always treated me like a person instead of a number, were extremely communicative and helpful, and kept me updated at every turn. Any questions I had were answered by a real person, almost always within 24 hours.

5) Clinicals: Setting up clinical sites, did it go smoothly?

Important to note here that you do not set up your clinical sites, Yale does. This is very important because it is against the ARC-PA rules to require students to set up their own sites. The process has been smooth for me. I will say that I am extremely proactive, so I started working my connections immediately after I found out I was accepted, so I have many more rotations already on the calendar for next year than some of my colleagues do. You are able to submit preceptor names to Yale (if you have identified someone who is interested or willing to host you) and Yale does all of the background investigation of the site, makes sure they align with the rotation objectives, ensures that it's a good/safe site and then you may be placed there. Our program director okays each and every single clinical site, so there is a high level of quality. COVID has created the largest impact in terms of sites, if I'm honest, and that is no fault of the program. Generally across the US there are fewer sites for the same number of PA students. I imagine this would be a non-issue if you applied in the next cycle to start in January 2022.

And, any other tips, advice, regrets, disappointments, or problems you ran into while applying for the program, starting the program, or graduating the program!

None. I have had a fantastic experience at PAO and would highly recommend it. My biggest advice to any prospective applicant is to ensure that an online learning model works for you. If you are a person that needs a high degree of hand-holding or structure to your day, you will likely really struggle with the self-paced environment of the program. We have weekly content that must be gotten through but nobody dictates to you how/when/where you do this. We do have several hours of live coursework a week that is mandatory but beyond that, what and how you do your learning and studying is up to you.  Some of the intangibles I'd also encourage you to look into are our Problem-Based learning model (this is NOT universal to all schools and is a HUGE advantage in my opinion) and CEED (Clinical Experience in Early Didactic). Like I mentioned, I'm a first year and I have already spent almost 160 hours in the clinic 1:1 with a preceptor. I am now functioning more or less like a clinical year student, including taking histories, doing complete physicals including paps, etc, ordering labs, making referrals, and getting scripts ready for the patients. It is an indescribable benefit to be going into clinical year already having spent SO MUCH TIME with patients, getting comfortable with physical exam stuff, etc. No other program in the US that I am aware of provides so much time for first years to hone their clinical skills. In my mind, this MORE than makes up for anything we miss by not being on campus.

What other questions do you have?

Thanks so much!

• Like 3