2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

3 hours ago, airvine said:

I finished one of my interviews. The interviewer mentioned that they have interviews scheduled for next week too? I thought it was just this week only. Can anyone confirm this? 

Also, I could use some words of encouragement right now. My interview went fine, nothing bad stood out to me, but I wish I could have connected more. I also have one more interview tomorrow, any advice on how to connect? maybe it's the online format that makes it difficult...

Mine said the same same thing. They told me i didn't need to start obsessively checking my phone for 2 weeks. They are doing 2 weeks of interviews (we're in week one) a week of discussion and decision making on their part, and then the letters go out the following week.

Online makes it hard to make a connection or to know if you did. There is a loss of non-verbal cues that makes reading the person difficult. Just remember they are used to doing the online interviews and they are aware of the difficulties with the connection making. I got the feeling they were more interested in the actual answer than the presentation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mands said:

Maybe this isn't the right question to ask, but did anyone use the fact that it was online to pull up a copy of their resume on the side of the screen or make talking points? or did everyone walk into it 100% confident?

I had a printed copy of my resume and the questions I might want to ask and stuck them in a folder to have to reference if I needed to. I didn't want to risk closing a window or screwing up the zoom connection while attempting to find my resume.

Another tip: Their website has bios of all of their faculty and staff. I reviewed all of them to have a little background info of who might be an interviewer and it gave me a couple of talking points and questions ideas.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jamierah said:

They told me i didn't need to start obsessively checking my phone for 2 weeks. They are doing 2 weeks of interviews (we're in week one) a week of discussion and decision making on their part, and then the letters go out the following week.

I'm glad you said this. It makes it somewhat easier to let go a little bit. I was accepted to JHU for an MPH Biology program and I was hoping to hear back at least about an interview in time to either make or not make my seat deposit. I think no matter what, this cycle or next, I'll get accepted to a PA program. And if anything, an MPH will help strengthen my package if I don't get in this cycle. It's not a bad "back up" plan, huh? 🙂 

Now If I could finally stop checking my email....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airvine said:

I finished one of my interviews. The interviewer mentioned that they have interviews scheduled for next week too? I thought it was just this week only. Can anyone confirm this? 

Also, I could use some words of encouragement right now. My interview went fine, nothing bad stood out to me, but I wish I could have connected more. I also have one more interview tomorrow, any advice on how to connect? maybe it's the online format that makes it difficult...

Hi all! I have been lurking for awhile; this is my first post. I have my interviews scheduled for next Tuesday, 7/14. Just wanted to confirm that for you 🙂  Good luck on your next interview! I wish I had more tips on connecting, but I wish you the best on the next one!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ftpa18 said:

Goodluck to everyone! For those who got the interview, can you share your stats? 

@ftpa18 I know others (I think at least @Krystalized ) have brought this up, but none of us really share stats here. This is more of a supportive environment, rather than comparing ourselves to each other. Maybe if you private message some accepted/interview people, they might share? But generally, we don't find value in that. Did you get an interview yet?? If so, GL!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Guest mands
1 minute ago, hsaad192 said:

Does anyone know if they send out emails saying your application is complete and under review ? It’s been silent on my end since submitting so I’m not sure if I should reach out and check to see? 

reach out! I had to just to keep in touch with a admissions like 2 times a week just to get the ball rollin 🙂 

@hsaad192 From my experience and from others on this forum, an under review email is sent from Yale. For some it was faster than others. They have been great with communication for me and it was quick. However, I did apply earlier though (May). I have interviewed this week. I think the time from verification to under review is now taking longer because there is a lot of applications this cycle. I think that just may be it and news will come for you. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hsaad192 said:

Does anyone know if they send out emails saying your application is complete and under review ? It’s been silent on my end since submitting so I’m not sure if I should reach out and check to see? 

I reached out to my admissions counselor two days ago and he said I should be receiving an email soon. For reference, my application was verified by CASPA on 6/17, so it may take a little bit for them to get to it. I hope this helps to ease your nerves as we patiently await 🙂 

• Like 2

Finished my interview yesterday. I keep getting asked how it went and I dont know how to respond! This was my first PA school interview ever. I felt like I am a strong interviewer and that I answered the questions directly and to the best of my ability based on my experience but man I just really dont know. I am in this weird mix of emotions of being proud of myself for completing an interview and very anxious about hearing back and not getting in. Does anyone else feel that?!? Just need some encouragement😔

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, madi.loruss said:

Finished my interview yesterday. I keep getting asked how it went and I dont know how to respond! This was my first PA school interview ever. I felt like I am a strong interviewer and that I answered the questions directly and to the best of my ability based on my experience but man I just really dont know. I am in this weird mix of emotions of being proud of myself for completing an interview and very anxious about hearing back and not getting in. Does anyone else feel that?!? Just need some encouragement😔

@madi.loruss I’m sure you did great! What an accomplishment to have even received an interview. Just remember they’re busy so find something to take your mind off of it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, madi.loruss said:

I too finished mine on Tuesday and don’t know what to think or feel about it. It was my first PA school interview as well and I felt like i did my absolute best...I think I would’ve done a lot better at an in person interview because verbal cues can get lost through a camera. All I know is that I worked so incredibly hard for this moment and I know that each applicant is hard working and unique in their own way and I’m praying this was conveyed during the short interview. I too feel very anxious and sad for some reason about the possibility of not getting in 😞 Prayers your way!! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shouk said:

I too finished mine on Tuesday and don’t know what to think or feel about it. It was my first PA school interview as well and I felt like i did my absolute best...I think I would’ve done a lot better at an in person interview because verbal cues can get lost through a camera. All I know is that I worked so incredibly hard for this moment and I know that each applicant is hard working and unique in their own way and I’m praying this was conveyed during the short interview. I too feel very anxious and sad for some reason about the possibility of not getting in 😞 Prayers your way!! 

You too! Thank you for this, it makes me feel better to know that someone else is feeling the same way! 

3 hours ago, madi.loruss said:

My answer to the how did you do question has been, "I think I did well but my opinion doesn't really matter."

This was my first PA School interview as well. I actually don't have a lot of real interview experience at all. Most of my job interviews have consisted of;

You have all of the required licenses/certifications. ✅

You are alive ✅

And you want to work here ✅

You're hired.

Since I don't have a lot of experience to compare to I can't say for sure but they felt like pretty standard interview questions. I also didn't have anything unusual or possibly negative on my application that needed to be explained. Those situations are where you really need to nail your interview explanation of the issue. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ftpa18 said:

Goodluck to everyone! For those who got the interview, can you share your stats? 

I really feel that GPA stats aren't as big of a deal to Yale as it is with other schools. Some schools their class demographics are all young kids with the ink still wet in on their diplomas and a GPA average of 4.0 and the minimal work hours.

Looking at Yale's class demographics the group is older with more work experience and a (relatively) low overall GPA. This leads me to believe that they are way more interested in you as a person and what you have done/are doing with your life than just looking at numbers on an application.

When you have no life/work experience you have to distinguish yourself on your stats. There is nothing wrong with that it's a simple fact of life. Yale's method (assuming my theory is correct) gives hope to those of us with some significant life experience even if that experience prevented us from always excelling in school.

I strongly believe that even if we did share our stats they would have such a spread that they would be useless as a guide. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Guest mands
1 hour ago, jamierah said:

I really feel that GPA stats aren't as big of a deal to Yale as it is with other schools. Some schools their class demographics are all young kids with the ink still wet in on their diplomas and a GPA average of 4.0 and the minimal work hours.

Looking at Yale's class demographics the group is older with more work experience and a (relatively) low overall GPA. This leads me to believe that they are way more interested in you as a person and what you have done/are doing with your life than just looking at numbers on an application.

When you have no life/work experience you have to distinguish yourself on your stats. There is nothing wrong with that it's a simple fact of life. Yale's method (assuming my theory is correct) gives hope to those of us with some significant life experience even if that experience prevented us from always excelling in school.

I strongly believe that even if we did share our stats they would have such a spread that they would be useless as a guide. 

Yes! I saw that the age range was 21-62 with the average being at 30 years old. Like, 62?! HOOO !! that's some devotion! If that were me i'd be on a tropical island drinking a pina colada, but some people really grind and own it 🤩🤩

I'm more along the lines of the 23 end, though. I chose this program because I felt comfortable doing my schooling online, while being able to get a jump start at more/early clinicals. Every PA I talked to at work said that their in-person shadowing/clinical rotations were the most valuable, moreso than the didactic stuff. I don't mind being in a class with "non-traditional students"! I'm excited to be friends with you all if I get in, and would love to learn from you guys. 🙂 At this phase in my life, i'm mostly just my GPA & don't have much work hours to show, but i've been through adversity like no other so I know that'll shine though. 🙂  I think you're totally right though that they disregard age and mostly look at value in experience. It seems like a 21 year old has the same shot as a 62 year old, and there really isn't a "cookie cutter" image for Yale to want. I love it! 

1 hour ago, jamierah said:

My answer to the how did you do question has been, "I think I did well but my opinion doesn't really matter."

This was my first PA School interview as well. I actually don't have a lot of real interview experience at all. Most of my job interviews have consisted of;

You have all of the required licenses/certifications. ✅

You are alive ✅

And you want to work here ✅

You're hired.

Since I don't have a lot of experience to compare to I can't say for sure but they felt like pretty standard interview questions. I also didn't have anything unusual or possibly negative on my application that needed to be explained. Those situations are where you really need to nail your interview explanation of the issue. 

“You are alive” 😂

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I am new here, and am really enjoying reading all of these posts. I am so impressed with how supportive this group is, and I wish you all the best of luck in this cycle. I will be in your shoes next year (this program is by far my first choice), as I am now finishing up my prerequisites and trying to find either an available PCE job or a reasonable certification program, both of which are hard to come by in this landscape right now. I know this year has been so difficult on everyone, and nearly nobody has been immune to the consequences of this pandemic. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to add the PA application cycle onto it. I just wanted to say I am cheering for you all, and someday, either sooner or later, I really look forward to working side by side with you!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chstrong said:

Hello everyone, I am new here, and am really enjoying reading all of these posts. I am so impressed with how supportive this group is, and I wish you all the best of luck in this cycle. I will be in your shoes next year (this program is by far my first choice), as I am now finishing up my prerequisites and trying to find either an available PCE job or a reasonable certification program, both of which are hard to come by in this landscape right now. I know this year has been so difficult on everyone, and nearly nobody has been immune to the consequences of this pandemic. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to add the PA application cycle onto it. I just wanted to say I am cheering for you all, and someday, either sooner or later, I really look forward to working side by side with you!

While I have not been accepted (yet hopefully!) please do not hesitate to reach out if you need anything or have any questions. I wish you the best of luck with getting PCE; you're right, it is definitely a big roadblock right now. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:34 AM, madi.loruss said:

You too! Thank you for this, it makes me feel better to know that someone else is feeling the same way! 

To madi.loruss and Shouk,

I can related to how you are feeling now. I just finished mine today and would love to send to positive energy and good thoughts to all of us going through this together. I think we just need to take our minds off and relax this weekend! I am so proud of everyone did all the hard-work and dedication to power through this. Good lucks to people interview next week!

• Like 3

Guest mands
2 hours ago, Chstrong said:

Hi! Weeeelllcccomme ❤️ 

If you need an easy-in PCE job, you can try scribing! It's like a 2 month training through your organization (I did scribe america, they rock!) and you get to shadow doctors and PA. Some programs don't count it as direct patient care unless it's done in an ER setting though, which makes the training harder. I can tell you that my experience has let me learn a lot of pharmaceuticals and medical decision making. Given, I couldn't tell you all the possible options for a patient with abdominal pain, I could tell you all the diagnostic tests, common medicines given, protocols, because I was the one putting in the patient care plan in the charts. Highly reccomend! Don't let anyone deter you that it is a "young person" job/undergrad job. It IS a minimum wage position, however I can tell you that the knowledge you get will be far more! I did CNA too (in a nursing home) and I can tell you I didn't learn that much information since I wasn't able to listen in on the care plan (not to say CNA isn't an amazing job, because it is! However the training is a bit longer and you gotta take the certification test dependent if the testing centers are open now)! 

I did scribing in a trauma center and emergency room. I saw my first thoracotomy (seeing a human heart beat outside the body for the first time nearly floored me), miracle miscarriages, severed limbs from car accidents, burn victims, extreme child abuse cases, and everything in-between. It's not pretty, but it's an amazing experience to see what our profession does in these settings!! Training isn't easy, but hey, give it a thought!!! Also, they are hiring (SA, at least) because scribing helps take charting off practitioners, so they can see more covid patients. I did the drive thru scribing during covid in NY and oh my god, the physician was having a good time going car to car, and I was struggling to keep up with charts/history taking, but now I can tell everyone about it 🙂