2020 Yale Online Application Cycle

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update on status. I was "in review" as of 6/20, as were some of you. But it looks like the new timeline has changed from 3-4 weeks to 4-5 weeks (per an email from Grace this morning). I'm not sure if it is the case just for me, but I wanted to pass it along in case anyone was feeling a little lost 🙂 

All the best!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, madi.loruss said:

For those who have already interviewed, what kind of area did you use? I live in a small one bedroom apartment and the options I have are my desk which has my cat tower behind it or my kitchen table which has wall decorations behind it. I dont know if these are acceptable or not and I'm too nervous to use someone elses WIFI! Also did anyone else have cats?!? I have two fairly young  cats that can be very good sometime and very bad at other times🙃.

While my apartment isn't 1 bedroom, it too is pretty darn small, so my main priority was finding the best lighting I could (ie natural lighting). I just sat on my couch (not lounging obviously haha). There are three pics hanging above the couch and I considered moving them or putting up something else, but I just kept them. They are a part of me and my life. So I don't think there is anything wrong with having stuff behind you, as long as it's tasteful and not distracting.

I also had my coffee table in front of me and my laptop was sitting on top of a box, then another book to get the angle right so the camera was facing directly in front of me at eye-level, to avoid any awkward angles haha. 

I don't have cats, but I have an 80 lb dog that likes to make appearances every time I Zoom or Facetime, so I just barricaded him upstairs then kicked my son and husband out. 

Edited by emilymuff
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ScullyAMA said:

I agree with @emilymuff  I did mine with pictures behind me on a decorated wall no problem. I will say that I would shut the kittens into another room so that they cannot be a distraction. During a recent webinar or podcast Jim specifically talked about animals being a distraction on camera. Good luck!!!!! 

Edited by Krystalized
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScullyAMA said:

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update on status. I was "in review" as of 6/20, as were some of you. But it looks like the new timeline has changed from 3-4 weeks to 4-5 weeks (per an email from Grace this morning). I'm not sure if it is the case just for me, but I wanted to pass it along in case anyone was feeling a little lost 🙂 

All the best!

Thanks for the update. I haven’t heard anything back since the ‘under review’ email.

• Like 1

Just finished my first interview. My camera was NOT working at the beginning for some reason. I have never had this difficulty previously with Zoom, and my camera system was working a few minutes before the interview as I checked to make sure. I will now restart my computer the night before the interview to ensure everything is refreshed and ready to go. Just a heads up in case anyone else would like to do the same. My computer is a Surface Pro 6 - purchased last year before the version 7 arrived. About nine months old. 

25 minutes ago, Crschr said:

Just finished my first interview. My camera was NOT working at the beginning for some reason. I have never had this difficulty previously with Zoom, and my camera system was working a few minutes before the interview as I checked to make sure. I will now restart my computer the night before the interview to ensure everything is refreshed and ready to go. Just a heads up in case anyone else would like to do the same. My computer is a Surface Pro 6 - purchased last year before the version 7 arrived. About nine months old. 

Good tip. I hope it went well and good luck on the next one 🙂 !!!

Wanted to chime in and wish the best of luck to those interviewing this week!!

@madi.loruss - I used two different areas because the first one was too noisy. I just found a corner in my bedroom and had my laptop on a side table. They really couldn't see anything. I wouldn't stress too much about it, as long as it looks clean with good lighting and is quiet. There's a test room, I think, for Zoom. I checked the area I wanted to use before hand to make sure it looked good on camera. I ended up having to bring a lamp over because it was too dark. I hope this helps! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Crschr said:

I’m guessing it was a freak incident. Hopefully it won’t happen again! Glad you got one down! One to go!!! Good luck 👍 

Guest mands

GAAHHHHH!! im ready to hear something about my app!!!! I've been holding back, but we all know i'm dying over here LOL! 

almost hump day guys!! we got this! 

7 hours ago, madi.loruss said:

For those who have already interviewed, what kind of area did you use?

I would definitely do a test during the time of day you are having your interview at both locations and see which background you like better. Just Google zoom test room and it'll show you what it'll look like. I tried using a picture to blur out my background today in Zoom but it ended up making it so they couldn't see my ID. As long as the pictures are appropriate and the background is clean, I wouldn't worry about it. I used a side room that had two pictures in the background, a painting and a family photo. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crschr said:

Hi Crschr

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! It's always great to test out prior the actual interview.I have been testing out via mock interviews as well.  I am sure you did well on the interview and wish you the best for the next one! Best lucks to you! 

15 hours ago, mands said:

GAAHHHHH!! im ready to hear something about my app!!!! I've been holding back, but we all know i'm dying over here LOL! 

almost hump day guys!! we got this! 

@mandsOh, me too. I’ve been under review since 6/9. When I heard that others had received interview invites, I became so worried, but I just keep telling myself what someone said earlier... at least I haven’t received a rejection. 😅 There’s still hope. 🤞🙏

• Like 1

Just finished up my interviews. Now the waiting begins again.

My interviewers did say decisions are taking 2-4 weeks post interview so plan on being patient. I'm assuming as more applications enter the cycle the time frame for everything will just get longer.

For the people wondering about the setting for your interview.

Try and get the camera eye level or slightly above, it helps hide the double chin.

Check the location a day or too ahead of time at the same time of day as your interview. The lighting night be different or there may be weird glares off of pictures or glasses.

If you need to add lighting get it above and off to the side (about 10 and 2 if your nose is 12) preferably both sides it will reduce unflattering shadows. If the light seems harsh add a diffuser of a sheet of paper in front of it to soften it. 

Zoom allows you to rotate your camera view (in the settings) so if you have a wide angle lens try turning it vertical to eliminate some of the view of the room and get more of you in it. Just don't forget to put pants on 😱

Be aware the color of lamp shades and curtains that can change the white balance of the video and give you that sickly pallor. I had to ditch the green curtain in the room since it made me look like my liver was failing. 

Make sure the background doesn't have anything the looks funky where you are sitting. I had to move a lamp on the bookshelf that looked like I was wearing the shade as a hat. 

Edited by jamierah
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jamierah said:

My interviewers did say decisions are taking 2-4 weeks post interview so plan on being patient. I'm assuming as more applications enter the cycle the time frame for everything will just get longer.

Try and get the camera eye level or slightly above, it helps hide the double chin.

Check the location a day or too ahead of time at the same time of day as your interview. The lighting night be different or there may be weird glares off of pictures or glasses.

If you need to add lighting get it above and off to the side (about 11 and 2 if your nose is 12) preferably both sides it will reduce unflattering shadows. If the light seems harsh add a diffuser of a sheet of paper in front of it to soften it. 

Zoom allows you to rotate your camera view (in the settings) so if you have a wide angle lens try turning it vertical to eliminate some of the view of the room and get more of you in it. Just don't forget to put pants on 😱

Be aware the color of lamp shades and curtains that can change the white balance of the video and give you that sickly pallor. I had to ditch the green curtain in the room since it made me look like my liver was failing. 

Make sure the background doesn't have anything the looks funky where you are sitting. I had to move a lamp on the bookshelf that looked like I was wearing the shade as a hat. 

🤣 This is both hilarious and informative. Thank you so much for the tips, and good luck! 

I finished one of my interviews. The interviewer mentioned that they have interviews scheduled for next week too? I thought it was just this week only. Can anyone confirm this? 

Also, I could use some words of encouragement right now. My interview went fine, nothing bad stood out to me, but I wish I could have connected more. I also have one more interview tomorrow, any advice on how to connect? maybe it's the online format that makes it difficult...

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, jamierah said:

If you need to add lighting get it above and off to the side (about 11 and 2 if your nose is 12) preferably both sides it will reduce unflattering shadows. If the light seems harsh add a diffuser of a sheet of paper in front of it to soften it. 

LOL. This is a good one.

Guest mands
1 hour ago, airvine said:

I finished one of my interviews. The interviewer mentioned that they have interviews scheduled for next week too? I thought it was just this week only. Can anyone confirm this? 

Also, I could use some words of encouragement right now. My interview went fine, nothing bad stood out to me, but I wish I could have connected more. I also have one more interview tomorrow, any advice on how to connect? maybe it's the online format that makes it difficult...

@LindseyM1984 and @iyo1789 I can't even take it day by day beause i'm so anxious to be involved in these interview prep and after conversations ! ❤️ ahh I assume we might not hear anything this week or next if they are doing interviews 😞

For another interview I did with another program, I felt like I had a hard time connecting with some people too. I had 2 trains of thought with this: 

1. Some interviewers play "devils advocate" (for a lack of better words), like they will play the tough cookie to bring the pressure on and make it feel like your typical interview. 

2. Sometimes you just dont connect with everyone you meet, and that's ok! At the end of the day, your delivery is a whole lot more important than that connection. Given, it's a factor, if you had bold, informative answers that'll shine through! 

Besides, maybe that's what you felt! Your interviewer might have been totally on a different page. Like, they may have felt the complete opposite and loved you! 

9 minutes ago, AJO0603 said:

@emilymuff was your personal interview first or your academic one? if you aren't allowed to answer that, it's cool no worries.

I can answer that 🙂 just no details about the interview/interviewer (as you may know). I went with my academic interview first and was able to do both of them on the same day. 

Guest mands

Maybe this isn't the right question to ask, but did anyone use the fact that it was online to pull up a copy of their resume on the side of the screen or make talking points? or did everyone walk into it 100% confident?

2 hours ago, mands said:

@LindseyM1984 and @iyo1789 I can't even take it day by day beause i'm so anxious to be involved in these interview prep and after conversations ! ❤️ ahh I assume we might not hear anything this week or next if they are doing interviews 😞

For another interview I did with another program, I felt like I had a hard time connecting with some people too. I had 2 trains of thought with this: 

1. Some interviewers play "devils advocate" (for a lack of better words), like they will play the tough cookie to bring the pressure on and make it feel like your typical interview. 

2. Sometimes you just dont connect with everyone you meet, and that's ok! At the end of the day, your delivery is a whole lot more important than that connection. Given, it's a factor, if you had bold, informative answers that'll shine through! 

Besides, maybe that's what you felt! Your interviewer might have been totally on a different page. Like, they may have felt the complete opposite and loved you! 

@mands: No doubt, surely you did good. Sometimes we feel different than what we expected during interviews. I know everybody works hard meeting all the pre-reqs. Just like anyone else, I am hoping and praying that I will be interviewed. Yale has been my top choice for my PA school. And I don't want to be to much optimistic because it might take a different turn. There's nothing more painful when you are rejected for the things you work hard for. Surely there is a reason for it. This group has been amazing that's why I want to be in this cohort.  

Edited by iyo1789
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, airvine said:

I'm sure you did great 🙂