Any Updates on PANRE Pilot Exam?

I do EM, which tends to keep me up on initial diagnosis and treatment of most acute conditions.  So far, that seems to be what the PANRE questions focus on.  Out of each 25 question set, there typically are 1-2 questions where the answers are flat out wrong, despite their citations.  The amount of time for each question varies per exam, from 3 to 5 minutes.   I've found that most questions can be answered quickly, but even 5 minutes isn't enough to do much looking up if you really aren't sure.

I've not seen anything from NCCPA indicating what their plans are for the future.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the pilot and it's not bad.  Most of the questions are pretty fair and can be answered in the time provided.  I have mixed feelings about it.  Yes, it is nice only taking 25 questions per quarter and having it spread out.  I know right away if I did well or not.  The testing center PANRE though is over and done with in a few hours and you go about your life.  

I would assume NCCPA is not going to make any indication for use in the future until the pilot is done and feedback is provided by us taking it.  

I am part of the PANRE pilot and unfortunately I am also on the frontlines here in NYC doing rotating days/night shifts taking care of COVID patients. Not to mention we are also a high risk group of getting it from our patients. If we were fighting on the frontlines and gets sick, there goes your 2-3 weeks trying to recover and then we head right back to battlefield. 

I understand the set of questions might not take long and can be done anywhere, but how does one even have the peace & quiet time to do this quarter's questions in this circumstance? Say if I did not do well this quarter mainly due to being tired and loss of concentration, does NCCPA give folks like us fighting in the epicenter some "leniency" for this quarter?  

• Like 1

It couldn't be easier in my opinion.  I prefer this platform to the traditional PANRE.  This is my 4th round of recertification so I am familiar.   I open the test the day it becomes available to get it done and out of the way.  I have 2 more quarters to go.  It usually takes me about 30 mins to complete the 25 questions.  I do not prepare and usually do not use any reference to answer the questions.  I have been practicing specialty for the last 10 years (GI).  I would highly recommend choosing this option if available.  I would hope they continue it.  If all goes as I plan this will hopefully be my last!  Time for a second career.

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, MediNerd said:

does anyone know if the emailed surveys are a requirement?  some people I know forgot to do them

They are and I read if you fail to do them that quarter it is considered a loss/fail.

Just kidding, I have no idea but I have done all of my surveys just in case 😄 

Edited by Cideous

17 hours ago, Cideous said:

They are and I read if you fail to do them that quarter is consider a loss/fail.

Just kidding, I have no idea but I have done all of my surveys just in case 😄 

Reported

Just kidding, you almost gave me a heart attack. 🤣

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update. The overall PA average is 81% as this heads to the finish line. The Average has not changed much in my portal the last 2 quarters. I have several friends from the same year group and our overall PA average does vary a bit so there are likely a few cohorts or the language of the system choosing questions based on right wrong answers means everyone gets slightly different question groups. At one point the lowest PA average was 78 and the highest 84 at the start of the same quarter. 

Additionally - my overall average is ~2% higher than when I calculate my average. I would guess some test questions or some questions being tossed out. The portal does not show decimal points, only whole numbers so hard to say exactly how far from the displayed vs actualy average. My guess is about 4 questions so far. 

End of each quarter it updates the cumulative stuff so you can see how you compare which is nice. The most recent quarter added the passing standard. It states the passing standard is now fixed meaning it wont change based on the overall PA average. It isnt a fixed % however rather just a line on a bar graph showing how you currently rank compared to the overall average and passing standard. The bar graph does have 20 verticle lines however and my overall compared to the PA overall compared to hte passing does seem to be "to scale". This means the overall PA average seems to be in the middle and the passing standard left of the middle. With an overall 81% PA average so far I would guess the passing standard to be low 70s or right at 70. 

There has been no update on the future of this version. I expected a second test cohort to start January 2020 at our half way point but never happened. To date I havent heard about another group starting Jan 2021. 

For the date to recert, it is based on the prior expiration of your license and not the completion date. For example - My license would have expired Dec 31 2019. I was granted a 1 year temp extension to complete the pilot. My recert date is still based on 2019 and not 2020 with next recert due 2029. 

Hope this helps. As far as I read the terms we cant talk about questions but the above should be ok to discuss. If not - MODS - feel free to delete or censor. 

• Upvote 2