PCE and HCE

Hello. I am currently a junior undergraduate biology major and am planning to apply to schools for PA within the next year and have a few questions. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.68 and a science gpa of 3.26 as of now which I know is not very competitive but I was wondering what I could do to improve my chances of getting in. Currently I am working as a medical scribe for a rheumatologist and have previously done so for a PCP and have about 500 hours of experience all together doing so. I am also planning to shadow a PA during the summer or throughout my senior year.  I was wondering if there is anything else I should do as scribing seems to be a considered direct patient care experience for some schools while others consider it simply to be health related experience but it seems that I may need both so I don’t know what else I should seek to do in order to cover both sections of experience. Is there anything else you believe I should do prior to applying to schools? Also should I consider taking a gap year to gain more experience? Any advise is greatly appreciated

Community service is highly regarded so get involved with a few niches. A gap year to get PCE is pretty standard and some programs, especially Californian schools, typically reframe from admitting new graduates unless you're way above their class averages. Also, there really is no loss to applying each cycle opening