Hello all!

I could use some advice! I am currently accepted to a pa program that starts in June of this year. However, I am really second guessing this program, but hate to turn down my chance at pa school. I know multiple people that go there currently, and I have heard nothing but terrible things about the program. To start, they have already had 9 students drop out or be kicked out of the class that started in 2019 (I feel like this is very unheard of). I have heard countless stories of the staff being very demeaning and unsupportive (telling students they should drop out, will never become a PA, etc). Not to mention, they currently have a lawsuit against them. NOW... I want to be a PA more than anything.. but I am absolutely terrified!! Should I just go, keep my mouth shut, and get it over with?? It is only a 24 month program. Or should I take my chances at reapplying this summer? (Not sure how covid-19 will be affecting this) Also, due to covid-19, the first semester will be online... Not sure if that will work in my favor or not. 

Thanks for any input!!

Edited by aspiringPA22
grammar reasons

42 minutes ago, aspiringPA22 said:

Hello all!

I could use some advice! I graduated from a university in 2019 and am currently accepted to a pa program that starts in June of this year. However, I am really second guessing this program, but really hate to turn down my chance at pa school. I know multiple people that go there currently, and I have heard nothing but terrible things about the program. To start, they have already had 9 students drop out or be kicked out of the program that began in June of 2019 (I feel like this is very unheard of). I have heard countless stories of the staff being very demeaning and unsupportive (telling students they should drop out, will never become a PA, etc). Not to mention, they currently have a lawsuit against them. NOW... I want to be a PA more than anything.. but I am absolutely terrified!! Should I just go, keep my mouth shut, and get it over with?? It is only a 24 month program. Or should I take my chances at reapplying this summer? (Not sure how covid-19 will be affecting this) Also, due to covid-19, the first semester will be online... Not sure if that will work in my favor or not. 

Thanks for any input!!

This is a tough decision. Did you apply to any other programs and if so are you on any waitlists? 
If not— you’d have to reapply and would you be okay with possibly not being accepted (considering each cycle gets more competitive, if you’re stats are below average)

if your first semester is online you’ll still need supportive faculty. Maybe faculty would be less inclined to give harsh comments since there’s a paper trail for online formats?? You’ll be going through difficult material and first semester is usually the hardest, just the mass amount of information and acclimating to this new stress. It’s important to know who voluntarily dropped and who was dismissed by the program. Review what gets you academically dismissed. Most programs are pretty cognizant on dismissals because it can look bad on the program. Also what kind of lawsuit? Do you know the details of it,  does it pertain to a previous student? If so then that’s a major red flag— maybe they can make changes by getting rid of a faculty that was harsh and so forth? 

Edited by Guest5798

2 minutes ago, Guest5798 said:

This is a tough decision. Did you apply to any other programs and if so are you on any waitlists? 
If not— you’d have to reapply and would you be okay with possibly not being accepted (considering each cycle gets more competitive, if you’re stats are below average)

if your first semester is online you’ll still need supportive faculty. Maybe faculty would be less inclined to give harsh comments since there’s a paper trail for online formats?? You’ll be going through difficult material and first semester is usually the hardest, just the mass amount of information and acclimating to this new stress. It’s important to know who voluntarily dropped and who was dismissed by the program. Review what gets you academically dismissed. Most programs are pretty cognizant on dismissals because it can look bad on the program. 

I am on 2 waitlists and am hoping I will get accepted elsewhere. (I'm #8 on one and am unsure where I'm at on the other). My stats are pretty good... I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.5 science, about 1,200 PCE hours, 40 shadowing, around 60 volunteer hours, and a little over 300 on the GRE (this isn't great, I know). However, I got an interview to each school I applied to (waitlisted to 2, accepted to one). I did not apply to many schools and regret that now and really think I should work on my interviewing skills.

As for that program, I know a few students voluntarily dropped and some were dismissed due to academic reasons. However, I know a lot of students there are miserable... several people have told me that this is a terrible program.. but I really don't want to risk applying again and not getting in. 

Congrats on your acceptance. I agree, this is tough. Several things would influence my decision if it was me, I like to weigh the odds:

1. How many students were accepted into the program in the first place? 9 students dropping out of a class of 30 or less is striking, but out of 80, not as much.

2. What is their track record of PANCE passage?

3. How established is the program? What is the lawsuit about against them?

4. How many schools did you apply to? How many interviews did you get/waitlists? And how are your stats?

I would consider all of theses questions and Guest5798 gave great advice too.

Edited by Janie55

1 minute ago, Janie55 said:

Congrats on your acceptance. I agree, this is tough. Several things would influence my decision if it was me, I like to weigh the odds:

1. How many students were excepted into the program in the first place? 9 students dropping out of a class of 30 or less is striking, but out of 80, not as much.

2. What is their track record of PANCE passage?

3. How established is the program? What is the lawsuit about against them?

4. How many schools did you apply to? How many interviews did you get/waitlists? And how are your stats?

I would consider all of theses questions and Guest5798 gave great advice too.

Hello!

1. the class size is 50.. so 9 students out of 50.

2. They have a 93% PANCE pass rate.

3. The program is 3 years old I believe.. and they have 2 lawsuits actually. One is for a student that believes he was kicked out dishonorably. Another is for a 2nd year student getting kicked out during clinical for calling child protective services during a psychology rotation (school felt that was out of her authority). 

4. I applied to 4 schools, got interviews to all 4 (turned down one.. I know, stupid of me). waitlisted to 2, accepted to 1. 3.7 GPA, 3.5 science, a little over 300 on GRE (not great), 1200 PCE hours, around 60 volunteer and 40 shadowing hours. 

So, 18% of the current class has dropped out for one reason or another.

Their PANCE pass rate is okay.

The program is pretty new and has 2 lawsuits-awful. I would make sure that this info is absolutely correct before I would weigh this in my decision.

You had great success with getting interviews last time!

So now the hard part: do just do it and gut it out if it’s terrible? Is that the type of person you are? Or do reapply and submit applications  to more schools to increase your chances for another acceptance? 

Best wishes on this tough decision!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aspiringPA22 said:

Hello all!

I could use some advice! I am currently accepted to a pa program that starts in June of this year. However, I am really second guessing this program, but hate to turn down my chance at pa school. I know multiple people that go there currently, and I have heard nothing but terrible things about the program. To start, they have already had 9 students drop out or be kicked out of the class that started in 2019 (I feel like this is very unheard of). I have heard countless stories of the staff being very demeaning and unsupportive (telling students they should drop out, will never become a PA, etc). Not to mention, they currently have a lawsuit against them. NOW... I want to be a PA more than anything.. but I am absolutely terrified!! Should I just go, keep my mouth shut, and get it over with?? It is only a 24 month program. Or should I take my chances at reapplying this summer? (Not sure how covid-19 will be affecting this) Also, due to covid-19, the first semester will be online... Not sure if that will work in my favor or not. 

Thanks for any input!!

If your gut is telling you so, trust it. The worst thing you'd want is to be kicked out and have to start paying those grad loans immediately 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pasintraining

I think I may have an idea of which school you may be referring to. My advice is to find a program with a good reputation even if it means waiting. I know how exciting it is to get into PA school and congratulations on doing that. You may think it will never happen to you and that you will be one of the ones that makes it without the same problems as other people, but honestly anything can happen (I have seen it happen in my program to undeserving people). I don't mean to be negative, but I have had problems with a program with a similar reputation and I wish someone had told me this before I started. I wish you the best though with whatever decision you make.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am in a similar boat as you. I applied to a school on the west cost but am from the Midwest. It was my first acceptance. However it’s a newer program, provisional status, costly and financially may not be the best choice for me. I’m confused as well but I’m thinking of reapplying and taking my chances. I’d rather wait a year then jump in. Message me and we can discuss further! I’m a little confused on what to change up on my application though because I did end up getting a few interviews. I also don’t know if I should write these reasons in my personal statement! Let’s talk though 🙂