Assistant Physician

This was posted in regards to Missouri a while back.  In my opinion, I don't see it dramatically different to us as PAs, but I think the biggest question overall is if an AP functions in the same fashion as a PA then why does an AP need ~4 years of school compared to our 2-3?  If the goal is truly to help bridge the claimed provider shortage then making the schooling as efficient as possible would be the best path forward.  BUT...if we could somehow bridge the gap between PA and AP in a way that MAKES SENSE, allowing PAs to enroll in true residencies to become a board certified MD/DO I would welcome the opportunity.  This is potentially the path forward for PAs overall as we get steamrolled by the nursing lobby.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

This was posted in regards to Missouri a while back.  In my opinion, I don't see it dramatically different to us as PAs, but I think the biggest question overall is if an AP functions in the same fashion as a PA then why does an AP need ~4 years of school compared to our 2-3?  If the goal is truly to help bridge the claimed provider shortage then making the schooling as efficient as possible would be the best path forward.  BUT...if we could somehow bridge the gap between PA and AP in a way that MAKES SENSE, allowing PAs to enroll in true residencies to become a board certified MD/DO I would welcome the opportunity.  This is potentially the path forward for PAs overall as we get steamrolled by the nursing lobby.

Could be a bridge. However, judging by the track record of our profession, that bridge will only go one way. MD grad to “AP”. With the changing landscape in healthcare and the amount of med students unable to match, I think it’ll be a popular way to get out of being a physician while still technically being a physician.  

25 minutes ago, ANESMCR said:

amount of med students unable to match

Are there really that many medical school graduates (from USA medical schools) that are unable to match?  Last I had read, over 95% of medical school graduates match, but I believed that did include international schools (could be wrong).

10 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

Just to be clear, the IMG/FMG's are NOT included in your quoted 90% and 94% numbers?

correct. IMG/FMG's and also American students who go to medical school in the Caribbean match at much lower rates. There were about 3-5 thousand more applicants than residency spots this match cycle. Only US students who f up don't match (or aim for a specialty too competitive for their stats). IMG/FMG grads may be ridiculously smart but fail to match simply because they are foreign. 

I may be speaking with old knowledge, but in addition to what has been mentioned above regarding APs just being unmatched physicians (instead of being an AP by choice), they are limited to working in primary care capacities in medically underserved areas. At least that's how I recall it as it was initially proposed in Missouri. My info may be dated.

49 minutes ago, dphy83 said:

I may be speaking with old knowledge, but in addition to what has been mentioned above regarding APs just being unmatched physicians (instead of being an AP by choice), they are limited to working in primary care capacities in medically underserved areas. At least that's how I recall it as it was initially proposed in Missouri. My info may be dated.

There's no way to enforce the "you can only work in rural areas" nonsense.  Any program, MD, PA, or NP that claims that is just lying through their teeth.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TexasPA28 said:

There's no way to enforce the "you can only work in rural areas" nonsense.  Any program, MD, PA, or NP that claims that is just lying through their teeth.

I would argue that there is when a provider has to list their practice address on their license and when filing out forms with Medicare/medicaid/other insurer services so they can bill. Additionally, HRSA designates areas as medically underserved so an AP would be ineligible for employment outside of these areas. How would that not be enforceable? (Still assuming my information regarding the intent of APs in Missouri is up to date.)