Waitlist Purgatory

Hi all, currently on 4 waitlists (was 5 until a school started in January) after interviewing at 7 programs (I know, i know interviewing skills are clearly a weak point). I just wanted to see who else is in this waiting period with me and any experiences 2nd applicants or PA students had with WL's? 

• Upvote 1

congrats on wl... its a huge accomplishment considering only 120 or sooo students get interviewed out of 1500-4000 applicants.  from my experience of multiple waitlists and cycles if a program has 18-26 spots then chances are low - even if high wait listed. it all depends on how you fit in the class, ad comms have a good eye for balancing out a class sooo we could all learn from each other.  if a program has 48-97 seats chances are a lot higher! esp if they rank it. acceptance comes in waves for august start dates usually after the deposit due date, lots of movement in june , july even up to the start date. be ready to move anytime, write a letter of intent showing interest to your number 1 school and get ready to apply again as well... you can apply in batches of programs

if you have any questions feel free to msg me 

• Like 3

Hi all, currently on 4 waitlists (was 5 until a school started in January) after interviewing at 7 programs (I know, i know interviewing skills are clearly a weak point). I just wanted to see who else is in this waiting period with me and any experiences 2nd applicants or PA students had with WL's? 

With the Pandemic there’s a chance that you might get off the waitlist. People are hearing back from programs closer to where they live so they might decide to go closer to home as oppose to traveling to a different state. I know for me renting an apartment is a big concern because if a program decides to go virtual during the summer semester I don’t want to pay rent for 3 months when I’m living at home. Best of luck! Also, what programs are you waitlisted at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I think Hustle said it best.  One item to add is when does the session start.

May / June starts will be tough since most of the movements have already taken place or will take place at that time.  If you miss that slot and waiting for Aug - this will be tougher since there are not a lot of starts left.

I wish you the best and hope you get that call around late May of a late switch!

I know its hard waiting, just try and focus on other things....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a very similar boat as you! I interviewed at 3 programs and got waitlisted at all 3 too 😕 Disappointing but hey, we are still in better positions than most who get flat rejected or rejected after interviewing! Do you know what your positions are on the waitlist? I tried to do my research and reached out to previous students who were on waitlist to get an idea of what number they usually go to. Of course, each cycle is different but it's still good to know. I also emailed my top choices asking if there has been any movement on the waitlists! They did get back to me and let me know I'm #2 on one of them, so that gives a glimmer of hope! I know the wait is agonizing and can make you really question yourself. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, sxc23 said:

I'm in a very similar boat as you! I interviewed at 3 programs and got waitlisted at all 3 too 😕 Disappointing but hey, we are still in better positions than most who get flat rejected or rejected after interviewing! Do you know what your positions are on the waitlist? I tried to do my research and reached out to previous students who were on waitlist to get an idea of what number they usually go to. Of course, each cycle is different but it's still good to know. I also emailed my top choices asking if there has been any movement on the waitlists! They did get back to me and let me know I'm #2 on one of them, so that gives a glimmer of hope! I know the wait is agonizing and can make you really question yourself. 

Hey! None of the programs I was waitlisted at told any of their candidates their rank, but I got off one early April and am waiting to hear back from other 3. It only takes one though and being #2 on a WL is a great sign. Best of luck to you :) 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, PCAtoPAC said:

Hey! None of the programs I was waitlisted at told any of their candidates their rank, but I got off one early April and am waiting to hear back from other 3. It only takes one though and being #2 on a WL is a great sign. Best of luck to you 🙂

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! Congratulations on getting an acceptance!!! I just got off the waitlist for my top choice a few days ago 🙂 Yay us! 

• Like 2

Congrats both of you.   I know waiting is extremely tough....

Now with the acceptance, the next fun part - Paying for PA school!

I start next month and just received my first semester bill.   BTW, if you planned on the tuition and extras fees for your financial plan, be sure to consider Medical Insurance - its a requirement.  The university automatically added it to our bills.  Waivers (if you already are covered by spouse or parents up to age 26) can be had.  However summer session added more than $800 to our overall bill for the first semester.   Think about that over 7 semesters....

For those still waiting, PLEASE don't give up hope.  With the current situations, schools are offering deferrals (never have they before).  They understand situations with family, childcare, taking care of parents, medical, financial issues, etc.  They offered to hold a spot until 2021 start, that may free up a few more slots this year!  Good luck!

Lets get at it!

• Like 3