CME for the furloughed PA

I currently work in outpatient vascular, and am now furloughed due to COVID. I previously was in ortho for 5 years. COVID-19 hasn't hit full force in Texas yet, but I want to be prepared in case it does. With a few years behind me from school, and no UC/ED or inpatient experience, I need a refresher in alot of topics that I haven't had to deal with in awhile. Being furloughed, I don't exactly have cash sitting around to spend on CME and can't get reimbursed by my company for a few months. Anybody have any recommendation for free or inexpensive CME to help refresh our ortho/surgical minds to prepare in case we need to step up and help out during these crazy times?? Thank you to all over our amazing PA's that are currently in the front line everyday. My heart goes out to you and your family!

1 hour ago, DarwinStarwin said:

If you had an UpToDate account through your work, every time you use it to research topics it adds to your Level 2 CME. Level 2 is distinct from level 1 obviously. I use the Primary Care RAP podcast for my Level 1 CME. I think a yearlong script for PCRAP coats $189 but you also get unlimited access to their archived shows.

According to the AAPA, CME earned from UpToDate is category 1.

"Plus, while you use UpToDate, you can earn AAPA Category 1 CME credit."

https://www.aapa.org/career-central/practice-tools/clinical-practice-tools/uptodate/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

According to the AAPA, CME earned from UpToDate is category 1.

"Plus, while you use UpToDate, you can earn AAPA Category 1 CME credit."

https://www.aapa.org/career-central/practice-tools/clinical-practice-tools/uptodate/

If I'm not mistaken, it only counts if you have an individual membership. Many hospitals and companies sign up for an organizational license, and that won't qualify as Cat 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pac30 said:

If I'm not mistaken, it only counts if you have an individual membership. Many hospitals and companies sign up for an organizational license, and that won't qualify as Cat 1

I think you are correct.  My hospital UpToDate account doesn't log my individual use and thus I can't print a CME certificate.  I have alumni access through my school and that account logs my individual use and gives me a certificate.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DizzyJ said:

I think you are correct.  My hospital UpToDate account doesn't log my individual use and thus I can't print a CME certificate.  I have alumni access through my school and that account logs my individual use and gives me a certificate.  

My hospital has a systemwide account, but I can log into UpToDate through the hospital EMR and continue to get Cat 1 CME.  I've been doing it for years.  So once your alumni access ends, maybe double check that you can't log in through your hospital's EMR.

Got this in email yesterday:

Free Category 1 CMEs!

86d0f2165d163b81d96df6b3869c3b1ff27e1d2d  

From John Bielinski, PA-C and owner of American Medical Seminars:

“Thank you. To my medical colleagues, physicians, NPs and PAs, EMS, nurses. Thank you! Keep fighting a good fight. Please allow us to offer you free category 1 CME. There is now a coupon code on American Medical Seminars called “Hero2020.” This is for your use to earn free CME for the Heroes of the Healthcare profession fighting on the front lines. It can be used at http://ams4cme.com for the free purchase of two (2) downloadable single worth 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits each. The courses must be bought in two separate orders and the coupon code can only be used 2 times per account.”

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
On 3/31/2020 at 7:12 AM, DizzyJ said:

You may have institutional access, but I wouldn't write off the Cat I CME unless you are unable to log on to an individual account.  It was an option at Group Health, and some of the docs did it, but it seemed too much of a pain to sign in and out in multiple exam rooms.

11 hours ago, rev ronin said:

You may have institutional access, but I wouldn't write off the Cat I CME unless you are unable to log on to an individual account.  It was an option at Group Health, and some of the docs did it, but it seemed too much of a pain to sign in and out in multiple exam rooms.

Too much $$$ for an individual account when there are other options out there on a subscription model.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Too much $$$ for an individual account when there are other options out there on a subscription model.

That's the point: the individual accounts don't cost money, the subscriptions do, so I could use the same account I had at my PA program, logged into Group Health's network/subscription, and get CME credit at no cost to me.

12 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I was able to use my alumni account to log into UpToDate through my hospitals account.  I didn't know this and now won't miss out on the CME.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

That's the point: the individual accounts don't cost money, the subscriptions do, so I could use the same account I had at my PA program, logged into Group Health's network/subscription, and get CME credit at no cost to me.

Correct, I have the same account (login and password) as what I had during PA school.  I have had this account transferred to each of my employer's subscriptions (at no increased cost to the employer or a cost to myself) which brings my previous CME with me, but also allows me to continue personally logging in to continue to gain CME.  I do have to refresh the login from a hospital computer once every 3 months or so to re-certify that I am still employed and linked to my employer's subscription account though.

But, I am not surprised there is confusion as I am the only provider I have come across within my hospital system that was aware of this and have showed countless others in my 1.5 years here.  I do want to say though that there may be different subscription accounts that employers can purchase.  So it is potentially possible that this won't work for everyone.

Edited by mgriffiths
  • Upvote 1

During downtime  I came across this awesome resource not only for EM training but an excellent review for all.

Coupon code: myemct4826

This will get you 10% off the regular subscription price.

Go to https://emcoretraining.com/

EMCT is the most comprehensive online educational tool available for providers transitioning to the practice of emergency medicine. Providers earn 156 hours of AMA and ACEP approved CME by completing the 14 modules in this online series.

Click on the “Start Today” icon. Then use your coupon code at checkout.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:46 PM, whaaat said:

Got this in email yesterday:

Free Category 1 CMEs!

86d0f2165d163b81d96df6b3869c3b1ff27e1d2d  

From John Bielinski, PA-C and owner of American Medical Seminars:

“Thank you. To my medical colleagues, physicians, NPs and PAs, EMS, nurses. Thank you! Keep fighting a good fight. Please allow us to offer you free category 1 CME. There is now a coupon code on American Medical Seminars called “Hero2020.” This is for your use to earn free CME for the Heroes of the Healthcare profession fighting on the front lines. It can be used at http://ams4cme.com for the free purchase of two (2) downloadable single worth 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits each. The courses must be bought in two separate orders and the coupon code can only be used 2 times per account.”

This worked perfectly! Thank you!!!