Failed and withdrawn classes

So I'm 24 have a 3.1 GPA have failed calc 2 twice, computer science once and have 6 W's on my transcript. I just finished cellular biology with a C+ and obtained my associates degree and i still have two years of pre-req course work for PA school and two years to finish my undergrad. I am passionate about becoming a PA and I have been working full time as an MA for the past 4 years and go to school full time. Any advice on whether or not i should continue to pursue PA, I know I can do well with the rest of my pre-req and undergrad to boost my GPA but I am concerned schools won't consider me because of my failures and withdrawals in the past. 

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 12.41.30 PM.png

Edited by MICKEYSRIGHT

So you haven't gotten off to a great start.  Things could still work out, though, if you can take the prereqs you need, do well in them, and show overall improvement.  A major improvement in your last two years of undergrad will demonstrate that you've become more focused, found ways to study that work for you, and really want to learn the subject material.  (Hopefully those things are true!)  Depends on the PA program, however.

You might consider finishing up your bachelor's and then getting a master's in a health-related field to show that you're capable of graduate-level work.  I know that nobody wants to think about even more schooling, but it could increase your chances of getting in to a PA school if applying right after attaining your bachelor's degree is unsuccessful.

• Upvote 1

I believe that PA schools put an emphasis on prerequisite courses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from your transcript, it looks like you have 2 W's from A&P 1 which is a pre-req for all PA schools. Do you plan on retaking it and finishing A&P 1/2 and were there specific reasons for the withdrawals? For any bad grades or many W's in core courses, you usually would have to address it in an interview, whether how you improved study strategies and received much better grade (A or high B) or had any unforeseen life circumstances.

Good things you have going is plenty of PCE. If at all possible, I'd recommend trying to lower number of work hours and spend more time being sure to ace the rest of your pre-reqs.

• Upvote 1

I withdrew from these classes because i knew i wasn't going to do well in them if I continued with work and school. I will retake them later after i complete my degree. Since i live on my own lowering my work hours would be difficult but its definitely something I am looking into. Thank you for you advice. 

You're really going to have the pad the later portion of your transcripts with A's and B's at the minimum. No more W's or F's from now on. 

I had a few W's, and an F in orgo chem the first time. After that my grades stabilized with A's and B's with a couple of C's. Post-bacc was all A's, but I tried to show a more positive trend towards the end. My GPA was very similar to yours and I am in PA school now almost done as long as this corona stuff doesn't delay our graduation.

Visually, looking at your transcript the F's and W's are very recent so it can be a cause for alarm psychologically when an adcom is looking at your transcript.

• Upvote 1