Pro-Name Changers . . . Where do We Go From Here?

My first born is already spoken for and I have no assets to speak of, but I'm on board and will help out in whatever way I can.

Support the movement as much as u can while in school. Once u finish school, join the fight more, financially.

It's great that many PA-Ss are behind this. Spread the word among your classmates. We CAN change this antiquated and obsolete title for future generations if not this one. But the ground work must be laid now. I am a bit disappointed that if this has come up every 10 years or so and yet nothing concrete has been done till now.

Perhaps the previous generations have been deterred merely at the word of the great and mighty AAPA and not rocking the boat back then may have been more of the attitude. Anyway, we can do this if we make enough of an impact.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our name is an issue every day of my practice and the worse part is that it hurts my patients. I just had a "heavily weighted T2 MRI C, T and Lumbar" (looking for a spontaneous spinal leak) rejected by the insurance company for the simple reason, I, as a Assistant was ordering it. The radiologist with the insurance company said so. "This a test we might pay for if it was ordered by a University MD but not by a physician's assistant out in the field" was her response. I told her I wanted to know the exact spelling of her name because I was was putting in the chart of the patient as the person who blocked a test that I felt that the patient needed . . . or I wouldn't have ordered it. So the name does matter in our ability to help our patients get well.

This was denied because you were not a "university MD" by the explanation of the UR physician. Do you honestly think that you'd have gotten a different response from the UR clown if your title was "physician associate"? Highly unlikely.

We fixed a lot of these types of problems in California with "agency" language in our practice act. It states that the order of the PA is the order of the MD for all intents and purposes. When a PA gives a medical order in the state of California, it comes from the burning bush.

However, having worked in Work Comp for many years, it is no surprise the lengths that adjusters and UR folks will go to to deny needed diagnostics and care ordered by physicians, and PAs. I've just learned to be a persistent SOB when it comes to the care of my patients, and I don't take the initial no as an answer.

Our name is an issue every day of my practice and the worse part is that it hurts my patients. I just had a "heavily weighted T2 MRI C, T and Lumbar" (looking for a spontaneous spinal leak) rejected by the insurance company for the simple reason, I, as a Assistant was ordering it. The radiologist with the insurance company said so. "This a test we might pay for if it was ordered by a University MD but not by a physician's assistant out in the field" was her response. I told her I wanted to know the exact spelling of her name because I was was putting in the chart of the patient as the person who blocked a test that I felt that the patient needed . . . or I wouldn't have ordered it. So the name does matter in our ability to help our patients get well.

This was denied because you were not a "university MD" by the explanation of the UR physician. Do you honestly think that you'd have gotten a different response from the UR clown if your title was "physician associate"? Highly unlikely.

We fixed a lot of these types of problems in California with "agency" language in our practice act. It states that the order of the PA is the order of the MD for all intents and purposes. When a PA gives a medical order in the state of California, it comes from the burning bush.

However, having worked in Work Comp for many years, it is no surprise the lengths that adjusters and UR folks will go to to deny needed diagnostics and care ordered by physicians, and PAs. I've just learned to be a persistent SOB when it comes to the care of my patients, and I don't take the initial no as an answer.

That's not going to change just because the profession decides to start calling itself something different.. nor would I expect it to, really.

Wasn't in the OP that we aren't here to discuss whether the name change is appropriate, but it is for those of us who believe in it to discuss how.

That's not going to change just because the profession decides to start calling itself something different.. nor would I expect it to, really.

Wasn't in the OP that we aren't here to discuss whether the name change is appropriate, but it is for those of us who believe in it to discuss how.

Again, not helpful in deciding how we go about changing the name.

If your title ends with ASSISTANT and you are constantly being confused with another title that ends with ASSISTANT it would follow that changing your name would lessen the confusion.

This is not really a debatable point but a matter of logic.

If your title ends with ASSISTANT and you are constantly being confused with another title that ends with ASSISTANT it would follow that changing your name would lessen the confusion.

Jmj started the thread with an example of why the title needed to be changed that I felt didn't tell the whole story. I commented on that. Ignore what you feel is inappropriate, and comment on what you want to comment on. I will do the same.

Jmj started the thread with an example of why the title needed to be changed that I felt didn't tell the whole story. I commented on that. Ignore what you feel is inappropriate, and comment on what you want to comment on. I will do the same.

Honestly don't know. May be be imaginary but I think I heard a smirk in her voice. Would they have honored it if my SP had ordered it? Maybe. If I was a Physician Associate, probably not instantly. Over time . . . with a name change as one piece of a much larger puzzle . . . I think she would have been more open to I knew what I was doing rather than dismissing it out of hand. But who knows.

Honestly don't know. May be be imaginary but I think I heard a smirk in her voice. Would they have honored it if my SP had ordered it? Maybe. If I was a Physician Associate, probably not instantly. Over time . . . with a name change as one piece of a much larger puzzle . . . I think she would have been more open to I knew what I was doing rather than dismissing it out of hand. But who knows.

So it's a good thing my comment was unrelated to whether or not I believe the name change is appropriate.

I was just making the point that - new title or not - physicians (many of whom will have been using the old terminology for their entire careers) won't just stop saying it simply because we forward them the memo... intentionally or not. Nor is this an issue of "avoiding confusion", since the SPs aren't the ones confused by the terminology. So in terms of where we go from here, I think a baseline understanding/agreement across the board for why we're pushing this and what we hope to accomplish by it would probably be a good place start.

So it's a good thing my comment was unrelated to whether or not I believe the name change is appropriate.

I was just making the point that - new title or not - physicians (many of whom will have been using the old terminology for their entire careers) won't just stop saying it simply because we forward them the memo... intentionally or not. Nor is this an issue of "avoiding confusion", since the SPs aren't the ones confused by the terminology. So in terms of where we go from here, I think a baseline understanding/agreement across the board for why we're pushing this and what we hope to accomplish by it would probably be a good place start.

Archived