Pro-Name Changers . . . Where do We Go From Here?

Okay, I thought this particular topic needed its own thread and space. So, I'm not here to debate if we should do a name change. There are several posts about that already. This thread is for us who want a change and to ask and debate the real question of where we go from here?

If you are anti-name changer and you have something to contribute, such as to point out errors in our thinking, feel free to chime in. But if someone wants to simply debate should there be a name change or not, then please do it on the other threads which have that nature of discussion.

Now I will start with some thoughts and questions.

1) For one, I've been hearing for ages about the cost of a name change, the legal risks and etc. but I've never seen an educated statement. Meaning someone one who works with state legislative bodies and do these things, or someone who is a lawyer with state legislative experience. So, my first question is what do we really know about the process?

2) Is is an absolute given that we must work within the AAPA? I mean, they are a private entity that exist to represent us, but there isn't any type of legal reason that PAs couldn't represent themselves in a differ way . . . is there?

3) I believe enough in the name change that I would be willing to put up $2,000 of my own money. If you multiplied that times 6,000 . . . isn't that about $12,000,000 available? Isn't that enough? For those who don't contribute . . . they should be forced to keep the assistant title:smile:.

4) Could we take one strategy (different from # 3) of being insiders. In this scenario we actually all join the AAPA and our state chapters. That we have a litmus test (I hate these one-issue things that plague national government) for our HOD representatives (or become HOD members ourselves) and try to change this from the inside?

5) Other ideas?

I have about 8 years left in my career, God willing, and I have a strong opinion what is best for our future and the competitive market that the new graduates will face. We need a standardized masters degree for all PAs. We need prior health care experience for new PA students and we need a name that is not mis-leading and confusing. I will stand for these objectives for my remaining career.

Our name is an issue every day of my practice and the worse part is that it hurts my patients. I just had a "heavily weighted T2 MRI C, T and Lumbar" (looking for a spontaneous spinal leak) rejected by the insurance company for the simple reason, I, as a Assistant was ordering it. The radiologist with the insurance company said so. "This a test we might pay for if it was ordered by a University MD but not by a physician's assistant out in the field" was her response. I told her I wanted to know the exact spelling of her name because I was was putting in the chart of the patient as the person who blocked a test that I felt that the patient needed . . . or I wouldn't have ordered it. So the name does matter in our ability to help our patients get well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I thought this particular topic needed its own thread and space. So, I'm not here to debate if we should do a name change. There are several posts about that already. This thread is for us who want a change and to ask and debate the real question of where we go from here?

If you are anti-name changer and you have something to contribute, such as to point out errors in our thinking, feel free to chime in. But if someone wants to simply debate should there be a name change or not, then please do it on the other threads which have that nature of discussion.

1) For one, I've been hearing for ages about the cost of a name change, the legal risks and etc. but I've never seen an educated statement. Meaning someone one who works with state legislative bodies and do these things, or someone who is a lawyer with state legislative experience. So, my first question is what do we really know about the process?

2) Is is an absolute given that we must work within the AAPA? I mean, they are a private entity that exist to represent us, but there isn't any type of legal reason that PAs couldn't represent themselves in a differ way . . . is there?

3) I believe enough in the name change that I would be willing to put up $2,000 of my own money. If you multiplied that times 6,000 . . . isn't that about $12,000,000 available? Isn't that enough? For those who don't contribute . . . they should be forced to keep the assistant title:smile:.

4) Could we take one strategy (different from # 3) of being insiders. In this scenario we actually all join the AAPA and our state chapters. That we have a litmus test (I hate these one-issue things that plague national government) for our HOD representatives (or become HOD members ourselves) and try to change this from the inside?

5) Other ideas?

I have about 8 years left in my career, God willing, and I have a strong opinion what is best for our future and the competitive market that the new graduates will face. We need a standardized masters degree for all PAs. We need prior health care experience for new PA students and we need a name that is not mis-leading and confusing. I will stand for these objectives for my remaining career.

Our name is an issue every day of my practice and the worse part is that it hurts my patients. I just had a "heavily weighted T2 MRI C, T and Lumbar" (looking for a spontaneous spinal leak) rejected by the insurance company for the simple reason, I, as a Assistant was ordering it. The radiologist with the insurance company said so. "This a test we might pay for if it was ordered by a University MD but not by a physician's assistant out in the field" was her response. I told her I wanted to know the exact spelling of her name because I was was putting in the chart of the patient as the person who blocked a test that I felt that the patient needed . . . or I wouldn't have ordered it. So the name does matter in our ability to help our patients get well.

5) Other ideas?

I am right there with you about the mandatory Masters degree, in this ever changing world of health care, with many other healthcare professions vying for masters and even PhDs, we need to continue evolving. NPs have masters, PTs have mandatory masters, and so should we. As to our name, definitely needs to be changed in my opinion. I've been practicing for 6 years, and I am tired of being confused with a medical assistant, or being introduced as "my assistant". We are not "assisting" anyone, we are examining, diagnosing and treating. I would be willing to put 2k of my own money for sure :)

I am right there with you about the mandatory Masters degree, in this ever changing world of health care, with many other healthcare professions vying for masters and even PhDs, we need to continue evolving. NPs have masters, PTs have mandatory masters, and so should we. As to our name, definitely needs to be changed in my opinion. I've been practicing for 6 years, and I am tired of being confused with a medical assistant, or being introduced as "my assistant". We are not "assisting" anyone, we are examining, diagnosing and treating. I would be willing to put 2k of my own money for sure :)

Umm...

He didn't write "mandatory masters"... he wrote STANDARDIZED masters.

There IS a difference.

I too would be willing to spend a couple "Gs" for a name change.

Based upon my interactions with the ilk of the AAPA that somehow stumbled upon this site.... I WOULD NOT be willing to spend another red cent in/with the AAPA... because they have confirmed my suspicion that they are simply bueracratic, self-serving, obstructionist hacks...

Umm...

There IS a difference.

Based upon my interactions with the ilk of the AAPA that somehow stumbled upon this site.... I WOULD NOT be willing to spend another red cent in/with the AAPA... because they have confirmed my suspicion that they are simply bueracratic, self-serving, obstructionist hacks...

Umm...

There IS a difference.

Umm...

There IS a difference.

I totally agree with you guys and would also give up 2 Gs for the cause....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Umm...

There IS a difference.

Umm...

There IS a difference.

Why don't we creat e super PAC? It's only a few sheets of paper. For 99$ Stephen Colbert will send you all the paper work to form one (with a bunch of his super PAC related stuff), or find it and print online for free. Then come on here and tell all your friends to throw money in the pot and I believe it may be a tax write off. Not sure on the latter.

Or, we could start a "kick starter" page. It's a website where people go to raise money for ideas. Many people have funded their inventions this way. We all send money through there.

Either way, have the reputable PA take this money and hire a lobbyist. They will know exactly how to make this happen and quickly. What palms to grease, who to get to propose it. All that is needed is people willing to give the money. I, too will put up a 2 grand. I'm a future student and I may have to sell some things, but I believe in it that much as well.

Why don't we creat e super PAC? It's only a few sheets of paper. For 99$ Stephen Colbert will send you all the paper work to form one (with a bunch of his super PAC related stuff), or find it and print online for free. Then come on here and tell all your friends to throw money in the pot and I believe it may be a tax write off. Not sure on the latter.

Or, we could start a "kick starter" page. It's a website where people go to raise money for ideas. Many people have funded their inventions this way. We all send money through there.

Either way, have the reputable PA take this money and hire a lobbyist. They will know exactly how to make this happen and quickly. What palms to grease, who to get to propose it. All that is needed is people willing to give the money. I, too will put up a 2 grand. I'm a future student and I may have to sell some things, but I believe in it that much as well.

Also, my plan requires to find a reputable and trustworthy PA to hold all this money in a PAC (or kick starter page).

BTW, do we not have a PAC for PA? All the nursing organizations have one that is separate from the national/state organization and proceeds from all national and state organizations contribute money into the pile, plus some from generous donors that aren't nurses.

Also, my plan requires to find a reputable and trustworthy PA to hold all this money in a PAC (or kick starter page).

BTW, do we not have a PAC for PA? All the nursing organizations have one that is separate from the national/state organization and proceeds from all national and state organizations contribute money into the pile, plus some from generous donors that aren't nurses.

The AAPA might get one more shot at this, at best. Or another organization- either ad hoc or a formal group- will come out of this. There is too much support and if it isn't directed at the AAPA it will go somewhere else.

2k from each of the ~6500 might be a stretch but a dedicated fund is a good start. There is a proposal out there to create an escrow acct (independent of the AAPA) funded with what would be AAPA dues.

There is so much ill bad sentiment after the way it went in the HOD that I'd be amazed if it could happen within the AAPA.

The AAPA might get one more shot at this, at best. Or another organization- either ad hoc or a formal group- will come out of this. There is too much support and if it isn't directed at the AAPA it will go somewhere else.

2k from each of the ~6500 might be a stretch but a dedicated fund is a good start. There is a proposal out there to create an escrow acct (independent of the AAPA) funded with what would be AAPA dues.

There is so much ill bad sentiment after the way it went in the HOD that I'd be amazed if it could happen within the AAPA.

• Administrator

Did any civil rights movement succeed on its first attempt? Why should we expect any different. We need STORIES like Mike's, publicized to the membership, about how "assistant" is hurting patient care. Not hurting our self-actualization, nor wasting our time in explaining things, but hurting patients. THAT is the motivation that will swing the undecideds into our camp and overwhelm those who have an emotional attachment to the inferior name.

• Administrator

Did any civil rights movement succeed on its first attempt? Why should we expect any different. We need STORIES like Mike's, publicized to the membership, about how "assistant" is hurting patient care. Not hurting our self-actualization, nor wasting our time in explaining things, but hurting patients. THAT is the motivation that will swing the undecideds into our camp and overwhelm those who have an emotional attachment to the inferior name.

• Administrator

I like the idea of getting some $$ behind it - but this is always the really hard part

lots of people will sign on a piece of paper - very few will open their wallets and give out more then $20 or so.

I would also be open to a sizable donation - but I would be in the $1000 range. Seems like wwe should be able to make this a not for profit so the deductions are tax free

would need a board of directors and accounting back up to make sure the money is 100% accountable.

my other thought is to just try to push this through in a state that might be friendly to it - i.e. Ct as Yale is there - or AK as they already use colloboration agreements- just start chipping away at the iceberg.....

Archived